“Very impressed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Empress

You added The Fairmont Empress to your Saves list
The Fairmont Empress
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   721 Government Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1W5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% on Room & Dining
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Very impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night and we were very impressed. The hotel is beautiful with a lovely atmosphere and in a very good location. Our room was very comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and professional. We had some documents that needed urgent printing and scanning and the staff were very accommodating. We had a fantastic dinner at a nearby restaurant which was recommended by one of the staff. Our only regret is that we could only stay one night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ladysmith, bc, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We recently attended the BCAHA Conference and had four wonderful nights at the Fairmont Empress. The rooms were lovely and having booked six months in advance and prepaying a month in advance I had requested that we all be placed on the same floor - centrally located near the elevator and I was told that there would be no problem as I had given them plenty of notice.. On arrival we found that we were scattered around the hotel on different floors and a quick word with the front desk staff and it was sorted. Although we were all placed on the same floor we were not located near the elevator and it was quite a jaunt to our rooms. We forgave them quickly as our rooms were lovely and the staff could not have been more attentive. We had 9 rooms for 4 nights. I must say that the food was very nice at the restaurants however we found food provided with the conference subpar. Although we had 334 at the conference from all over BC the same comments were made. The food was cold and disappointing. I guess that is what you get when you have to feed that many people at once. Breakfast our last morning was undercooked bacon and very cold scrambled eggs. Breakfast at the dining room had been awesome. Crab cakes with peached eggs.......
I must admit that the staff was second to none - always courteous and helpful with the right mix of humour

Room Tip: ask for something near the elevator. this is a very large hotel and if you are in the lower numbere...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Ladysmith,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the mix up with your rooms but very pleased to hear that our front desk staff was able to assist you. Thank you for sharing your comments on your food and beverage experience during the BCAHA Conference. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and Director of Food and Beverage who will be following up with their teams. Our goal is to provide excellent food and beverage and I can see that we have fallen short of accomplishing that goal. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

What can you say that hasn't already been said about a hotel like the Empress? A hotel in the grand tradition of fine European hotels with history, location and architecture going for it! Service was spectacular and everyone was truly committed to making our stay a memorable one. I didn't realize that there was really a hotel within the hotel? If you go with the gold level you have your own check-in, concierge and lounge on the second level. The room's view of the harbor was brilliant! Location was super for everything, including a little shopping with plenty of stores within a few easily walked blocks. Walking felt very safe no matter what the time of day. Coming from our home province where the winter seems like it will never end, this was a much needed break. The Butchart gardens were in bloom and a must visit even if your girlfriend makes you ride on the carousel, (actually it was fun). The Butterfly museum was also great with colors and activity you usually only see in the jungles of countries much further South.

Room Tip: Take the time to Join the Fairmont President's Club! It's free and as you stay the benefits...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had the much anticipated opportunity to stay at this lovely hotel for a conference and extended my stay with the special rate offered to attendees of the conference. My first room was a small room and was quirky but so cute and comfy. The bed was so comfortable with the duvet and lots of pillows!

I moved to a large King bed Harbour view room. The ceiling was high with beams, the window looked out to the harbour, and once again the bed was so comfortable!

We went down to the Bengal lounge for a later evening snack and a glass of wine. The service and food were incredible. The lounge is so lovely with all the historic appointments. I love the classic beauty of the hotel.

The food for the conference was very good and the access to the conference center facilities was so easy and convenient. It was great.

Room Tip: I had requested a room on a higher floor with a good view. Both of my rooms were on the first floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Fairmont's Gold rooms, service and ocean-view, intimate lounge/breakfast and snacks room, rival those of the most outstanding boutique hotel. Service is impeccable with attention to detail. The dedicated staff are friendly and attentive.... always a smile!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent the weekend in Victoria with my wife as sort of a mini-babymoon and we had a deluxe harbour -facing room for the weekend. The room itself was full of the authentic charm promised by the exterior of the hotel. Our room had old volumes of classic books lined up along the dresser as well as a cozy nook overlooking the water to settle in for a read. Victoria is very compact and the Empress is an excellent "basecamp" to explore the unique shops and dining options within a 10 minute radius.
The staff were excellent and the doorman greeted by name each time I came and left. I took advantage of their easy-check-in procedure and my keys were waiting for me at the door when I arrived so I didn't even have to visit the front desk.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Deluxe. I stayed in a Fairmont (entry level) room last time, and I'd say it was may...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Vancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you took advantage of our email check-in option. It certainly is a great way for our guests to check in and avoid the possible line ups at the front desk. It is great to read all of your wonderful comments. I will ensure they are shared with our team. I hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria for your baby-moon. Best wishes from all of us on his or her arrival. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Context: a two night getaway in Victoria
Pros: Historical building in a perfect downtown Victoria location
Great views of the Victoria Waterfront
The Empress Dining Room - Yum
Excellent staff who bend over backwards to help
Excellent old-world hotel
Easy to get around the hotel and never have to wait for the elevators!
Easy and fast valet parking service

I'm often critical of the Fairmont Hotel chain because, in the past, some of their hotels that I have stayed at have not lived up to their reputations. The Fairmont Empress, on the other hand, is beyond excellent. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Splurge for a waterfront facing room on a high floor. You'll see the sparkling lights of the BC...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Empress? Share your experiences!