“I love this beautiful classic hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Empress

You added The Fairmont Empress to your Saves list
The Fairmont Empress
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   721 Government Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1W5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20% on Room & Dining
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
“I love this beautiful classic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had the much anticipated opportunity to stay at this lovely hotel for a conference and extended my stay with the special rate offered to attendees of the conference. My first room was a small room and was quirky but so cute and comfy. The bed was so comfortable with the duvet and lots of pillows!

I moved to a large King bed Harbour view room. The ceiling was high with beams, the window looked out to the harbour, and once again the bed was so comfortable!

We went down to the Bengal lounge for a later evening snack and a glass of wine. The service and food were incredible. The lounge is so lovely with all the historic appointments. I love the classic beauty of the hotel.

The food for the conference was very good and the access to the conference center facilities was so easy and convenient. It was great.

Room Tip: I had requested a room on a higher floor with a good view. Both of my rooms were on the first floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Fairmont's Gold rooms, service and ocean-view, intimate lounge/breakfast and snacks room, rival those of the most outstanding boutique hotel. Service is impeccable with attention to detail. The dedicated staff are friendly and attentive.... always a smile!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent the weekend in Victoria with my wife as sort of a mini-babymoon and we had a deluxe harbour -facing room for the weekend. The room itself was full of the authentic charm promised by the exterior of the hotel. Our room had old volumes of classic books lined up along the dresser as well as a cozy nook overlooking the water to settle in for a read. Victoria is very compact and the Empress is an excellent "basecamp" to explore the unique shops and dining options within a 10 minute radius.
The staff were excellent and the doorman greeted by name each time I came and left. I took advantage of their easy-check-in procedure and my keys were waiting for me at the door when I arrived so I didn't even have to visit the front desk.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Deluxe. I stayed in a Fairmont (entry level) room last time, and I'd say it was may...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Vancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you took advantage of our email check-in option. It certainly is a great way for our guests to check in and avoid the possible line ups at the front desk. It is great to read all of your wonderful comments. I will ensure they are shared with our team. I hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria for your baby-moon. Best wishes from all of us on his or her arrival. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Context: a two night getaway in Victoria
Pros: Historical building in a perfect downtown Victoria location
Great views of the Victoria Waterfront
The Empress Dining Room - Yum
Excellent staff who bend over backwards to help
Excellent old-world hotel
Easy to get around the hotel and never have to wait for the elevators!
Easy and fast valet parking service

I'm often critical of the Fairmont Hotel chain because, in the past, some of their hotels that I have stayed at have not lived up to their reputations. The Fairmont Empress, on the other hand, is beyond excellent. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Splurge for a waterfront facing room on a high floor. You'll see the sparkling lights of the BC...
North Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Empress is one of Canada's iconic hotels. It is in Victoria's best location: across from the scenic inner harbour and a short walk from attractions, restaurants and downtown shops.
I stayed here for a conference and was delighted to hear on arrival that I had a free upgrade to a king suite (a large bedroom with a king bed and desk and a small living room with a sofa and chairs; both rooms had closets and large flat screen tvs). My suite was at the end of a long hallway and was very quiet. It was in the back of the building with a less than inspiring view overlooking the roof of the convention centre. However, it was nice to have windows that opened for fresh air and also thick curtains to block out the early morning light.
You either like an older hotel or you don't. Sometimes, walking to down the long hall to my suite, I had a funny feeling that I was in the movie, "The Shining." The truth is, I prefer a more modern building with balconies (which is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5 in my rating). However, I have to say that my room was completely updated in every way. The bed and bedding were very comfortable, the shower had strong water pressure and all the furniture and fixtures were in excellent condition.
As is the case at every Fairmont I have visited, the service at the Empress is first class. I noticed that some reviewers complained that they had to pay for wifi. There is an easy solution to this: join the Fairmont President's Club (for free). One of the perks is free wifi.
I am very happy to have had the Empress experience and I would especially recommend this hotel to travellers who are visiting Victoria for their first time. Whether you stay in the Empress or not, you have to stop in for a drink or meal in one of the lounges. This hotel is a Victoria must see.

Room Tip: The end of the hall was a long walk but was wonderfully quiet. Join the President;s Club for free wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from North Vancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the suite that we were able to upgrade you to. Our housekeeping and maintenance teams work very hard to ensure all of our rooms and suites are well maintained and comfortable for all of our visitors. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with both teams. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Certainly an older hotel but Fairmont does a great job keeping the hotel looking great. The staff is attentive and professional. We always felt welcome from the time we spoke our first word to the doorman to any of the hotel housekeeping staff we passed in the hall. We were in a Fairmont Gold junior suite for the week and we couldn't have been happier. The room was ample in size with a great harbour view. Decorated nicely and a very comfortable bed. The best part of the experience is being taken care of by the Gold floor staff. Great personalities and a pleasure to interact with throughout our stay. The breakfast is faaaabulous and is a great way to start your day. Of course cocktails and canapés in the late afternoon are a nice touch also. A great time.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the Gold floor I highly recommend it.
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel looks like a castle.....built back in the 20s, high ceilings, beautiful wood work, you don't see alot of hotels like this. The food was good, room was plain (standard room) but the bed was great. Its right across from the water, museum across the street, right close to downtown. Great pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont Empress? Share your experiences!