“A great city, a legendary hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Empress

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Empress to your Saves list
The Fairmont Empress
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   721 Government Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1W5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 57 hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“A great city, a legendary hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent the weekend in Victoria with my wife as sort of a mini-babymoon and we had a deluxe harbour -facing room for the weekend. The room itself was full of the authentic charm promised by the exterior of the hotel. Our room had old volumes of classic books lined up along the dresser as well as a cozy nook overlooking the water to settle in for a read. Victoria is very compact and the Empress is an excellent "basecamp" to explore the unique shops and dining options within a 10 minute radius.
The staff were excellent and the doorman greeted by name each time I came and left. I took advantage of their easy-check-in procedure and my keys were waiting for me at the door when I arrived so I didn't even have to visit the front desk.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Deluxe. I stayed in a Fairmont (entry level) room last time, and I'd say it was may...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Vancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you took advantage of our email check-in option. It certainly is a great way for our guests to check in and avoid the possible line ups at the front desk. It is great to read all of your wonderful comments. I will ensure they are shared with our team. I hope you enjoyed your time in Victoria for your baby-moon. Best wishes from all of us on his or her arrival. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

1,795 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Context: a two night getaway in Victoria
Pros: Historical building in a perfect downtown Victoria location
Great views of the Victoria Waterfront
The Empress Dining Room - Yum
Excellent staff who bend over backwards to help
Excellent old-world hotel
Easy to get around the hotel and never have to wait for the elevators!
Easy and fast valet parking service

I'm often critical of the Fairmont Hotel chain because, in the past, some of their hotels that I have stayed at have not lived up to their reputations. The Fairmont Empress, on the other hand, is beyond excellent. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Splurge for a waterfront facing room on a high floor. You'll see the sparkling lights of the BC...
North Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Empress is one of Canada's iconic hotels. It is in Victoria's best location: across from the scenic inner harbour and a short walk from attractions, restaurants and downtown shops.
I stayed here for a conference and was delighted to hear on arrival that I had a free upgrade to a king suite (a large bedroom with a king bed and desk and a small living room with a sofa and chairs; both rooms had closets and large flat screen tvs). My suite was at the end of a long hallway and was very quiet. It was in the back of the building with a less than inspiring view overlooking the roof of the convention centre. However, it was nice to have windows that opened for fresh air and also thick curtains to block out the early morning light.
You either like an older hotel or you don't. Sometimes, walking to down the long hall to my suite, I had a funny feeling that I was in the movie, "The Shining." The truth is, I prefer a more modern building with balconies (which is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5 in my rating). However, I have to say that my room was completely updated in every way. The bed and bedding were very comfortable, the shower had strong water pressure and all the furniture and fixtures were in excellent condition.
As is the case at every Fairmont I have visited, the service at the Empress is first class. I noticed that some reviewers complained that they had to pay for wifi. There is an easy solution to this: join the Fairmont President's Club (for free). One of the perks is free wifi.
I am very happy to have had the Empress experience and I would especially recommend this hotel to travellers who are visiting Victoria for their first time. Whether you stay in the Empress or not, you have to stop in for a drink or meal in one of the lounges. This hotel is a Victoria must see.

Room Tip: The end of the hall was a long walk but was wonderfully quiet. Join the President;s Club for free wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from North Vancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the suite that we were able to upgrade you to. Our housekeeping and maintenance teams work very hard to ensure all of our rooms and suites are well maintained and comfortable for all of our visitors. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with both teams. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Certainly an older hotel but Fairmont does a great job keeping the hotel looking great. The staff is attentive and professional. We always felt welcome from the time we spoke our first word to the doorman to any of the hotel housekeeping staff we passed in the hall. We were in a Fairmont Gold junior suite for the week and we couldn't have been happier. The room was ample in size with a great harbour view. Decorated nicely and a very comfortable bed. The best part of the experience is being taken care of by the Gold floor staff. Great personalities and a pleasure to interact with throughout our stay. The breakfast is faaaabulous and is a great way to start your day. Of course cocktails and canapés in the late afternoon are a nice touch also. A great time.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the Gold floor I highly recommend it.
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel looks like a castle.....built back in the 20s, high ceilings, beautiful wood work, you don't see alot of hotels like this. The food was good, room was plain (standard room) but the bed was great. Its right across from the water, museum across the street, right close to downtown. Great pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

Whitehorse, Yukon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed here as our conference was held at this hotel. The hotel rooms are smaller than what people might expect,however, I loved, loved the atmosphere. The bed,duvet and pillows were uber comfortable! At my age,it doesnʼt matter what the room looks like, as long as you can get a good nightsʼ sleep. The hotel staff were wonderful. They attended to my every request and did their best to answer my questions and look after my needs. The hotel pool and hot tub area is open until 1: 00 am which is later than most places. I really like this as I often get in late. This is a really important service for me. My only complaint is that the layout was confusing. I spent time going up and down elevators looking for my conference, the spa elevator and the front door??? itʼs a big hotel and a little confusing. I would definitely stay here again,in spite of me being "directionallly challenged".... I love this hotel!! Fairmont Empress, you rock!!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to an elevator if you have mobility issues.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

One of the stops on our big family holiday, we chose The Empress for a very special birthday dinner for two ladies in our party. The Bengal room is a very special place and we adults had a memorable meal in a near empty restaurant. Our waiters were attentive, interested and helpful. ( if we had not dined in the rating would have been 3 out of 5)
After Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, The Empress was a bit of a let down, it has all the marks of an old hotel (our room smelled which caused us to keep the window open for some nicer air) and it was nowhere near as cosy or inviting as CLL. There is no heart or vibe to this place, possibly because the dining areas are in the upper lobby and you don't pass by them, you have to go to them. The sitting area in the lobby has more the feel of a coach station. The beautiful Tea Room is off limits except for High Tea which is a real shame, it should be the belle of the ball.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Fairmont Empress? Share your experiences!