“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cottage Pirouette B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Cottage Pirouette B&B
Ranked #17 of 110 Victoria B&B and Inns
nuneaton
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were recommended to go here from a fantastic b&b we had stayed in the night before, and having checked it out on tripadvisor, we didn't look for anywhere else and we were really looking forward to the 'excellent' rating. It's not, and I can't quite put my finger on exactly why not.
It is definitely not good value for money as subsequent investigation of options in the area found cheaper and nicer accommodation.
When we arrived there was an overwhelming smell of frying in the hall which was a bit off-putting. Not a good start. Then our room stank of something sort of chemical and being a polite Brit we didn't ask what it was, but my husband and I gave each other a look, 'what on earth is that? Can we run now?'. The smell did abate a little after a day, I decided it smelt a bit like flea spray, they have cats, perhaps the smell had just accumulated in our room at the top of the stairs.
Anyway, we decided not to run, Lorraine made us tea and some yummy cakes and had a chat.
House is ok, clean enough, facilities ok, but something is missing......bed linen was a bit cheap/worn, towels need fluffing up, shower in the bath under the eaves couldn't quite stand up in, info in room out of date re Internet.
Breakfast was indicated at 8.30, with invitation to let her know if we wanted a different time. First morning breakfast was cereals, pancakes and bacon. We were down at 8.40, nice fresh pancakes arrived but the bacon was a touch well done (hard). The second morning we got there at 8.40, cereals and fruit, and a plate of fried eggs..going cold and def well cooked. It wouldnt take much to cook the eggs to order or have a warmer. There was not anything really wrong, but the setting and care needed more effort, it's not good enough, I've had much better breakfasts in the travelodge (canada).
On the plus side, you can use the guest kitchen microwave, fridge, plates etc and the other couple brought their own evening meal.
When we came to pay, she said she couldnt do plastic because the bank had recently insisted on the online terminals and wanted too much money, so could we pay cash. That was fine for us but the other couple had to go to town to get it.
Overall i get the feeling that her heart isnt really in it, maybe she was having a bad day / week or we've been spoilt by all the other truly excellent b&bs we stayed in in Canada. It needs that extra something in all areas to be excellent or even very good, and I would def find somewhere else for that price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria_B_C_Peace, Owner at Cottage Pirouette B&B, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Chrisnuneaton;

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I certainly enjoyed welcoming you to Cottage Pirouette and so it is difficult to convey how disappointed I felt in reading your comments. Had you brought any of these concerns to my attention during your stay, I could have remedied them immediately. I can't speak to what "cheaper and nicer" options are available for rent online, but as a licensed member in good standing of Destination B.C., the B.C. Innkeeper's Guild, and Best BNB Victoria, to name a few accredited associations, I strive to provide an excellent experience to all our guests. Since opening in 1997, we are constantly upgrading and open to improving the level of service, so I really appreciate your feedback. I will look at things like price and value, and make adjustments should they be necessary.

I would like to address a few things: We've always accommodated guests with scent sensitivities and other special requirements. Had you told me the lingering scent of the Greenworks bathroom cleaner, (Not "flea spray" as you imagined, Greenworks is a 99% naturally derived cleaner with plant-based, biodegradable cleaning ingredients) was at all bothersome to you, I'd have happily offered you another room. Each of the suites has its own unique features and charm, and elements such as the 6'4" height of an under-eaves shower or a particular view is individual to that room. Again, I regret you didn't convey these concerns to me during your stay, as we have six rooms to choose from.

We strive to maintain an open channel of communication so that guests feel they can come to us with questions or concerns at any time. During check-in time conversations or in the information booklet in the rooms, it is indicated that breakfast is freshly made for 8:30, and that most guests will gather in one of 2 dining rooms to enjoy breakfast together. It is a joy to witness the new friendships made at the tables. Any special time, private seating, or dietary requests can be made the night before. Guests need only let us know. For example, a recent Victoria Marathon participant came back for breakfast at 11 a.m. Unfortunately, a tabletop food warmer isn't an option for us, for insurance purposes - but I shall look into other serving methods.

It was truly unfortunate that your visit coincided with the one time in the past 16 years of business that I was between credit card providers. I wanted to research the best company to transfer to, before signing into another contract, so that I can pass on the savings to my guests.

I love what I do. Operating the B & B is more than a job or a career choice - it is my life. I'd like to offer you 15% off of a future stay, and the opportunity to experience a yoga class or use of the holistic studio space, so that you can have the pleasant experience that so many of our other guests have had. With many thanks again for taking the time to write in, and warm regards,

Lorraine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights in this lovely B&B and had a wonderful experience. From the moment that we arrived our hostess Lorraine tended to our every need starting out with a pot of hot tea and cookies. Our room was large and the bed was to die for. Breakfast was substantial. We had either eggs or pancakes, sausages/bacon with fresh fruit, juice, homemade bread/muffins each morning. No need for lunch after that breakfast. This B&B is located on a quiet street in Esquimalt only a few minutes drive from downtown Victoria and within walking distance of two beautiful parks that overlook the ocean. I will definately stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After a long, very intense work trip this was the perfect place to unwind and relax. It felt so welcoming. Great breakfast. Lovely neighbourhood. We used the bus to get to and from downtown, which was very easy. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed 6 nights & thoroughly enjoyed. Owner & hostess Lorraine is warm, friendly Mother Earth. Easy & genuine. Comfortable room (Wisteria) & shared bath was no problem at all. Tasty & generous breakfasts. Easily took bus into town and back each day - very quick & efficient! Airport shuttle delivers & picks up directly to the Cottage Pirouette door. Highly recommend this lovely place to anyone coming to Victoria! Will definitely tell family & friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Swift Current, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were warmly greeted by our hostess, Lorraine, who made us feel so welcome and at home. We had booked the Rose room on the main floor for my elderly mother and the Camellia room on the second floor for the rest of my family. Both rooms were spotless and had private bathrooms. Loved the decor in each room. Bedding and towels smelled so fresh and clean. Lots of windows to open to get cool air on warm days. Yummy breakfast was served each morning. Hot tub in the backyard was a nice treat at the end of the day. The B & B is located in a quiet area of Victoria and only a 10 minute drive to the harbor. It was the “Best home away from home”.

Room Tip: If you decide to book one of the rooms that doesn't have a bathroom in your room but down the ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Lorraine is a fabulous hostess & friend. Lovely homemade breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, orange juice, fresh muffins, I can't remember all the yummyness that was served.

My husband and I stayed in the Camellia Room, it was upstairs and had a private bath (jacuzzi tub). The Queen Bed was so comfortable that I had the best night's sleep.

Being Victoria residents, I had won a night at the B&B, it was a date night for my husband & I. I'd highly recommend Cottage Pirouette B&B, Lorraine is there when needed, she's very knowledgeable and the most wonderful hostess - and singer! Gorgeous harp in the living room, too. Wonderful ambience, and very accomodating for dietary needs.

You won't be disappointed staying here. Well worth it!

Room Tip: Camellia Room has a jacuzzi tub :-)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bigfork, Montana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We met the most marvelous lady who just happens to run the Cottage Pirouette. It's in a charming neighborhood within walking distance of a park with a boat launch, beach,and. rock wall suitable for climbing. There we got to see a leopard seal up close and personal. The bus stops just out the front door if you choose to ride into town. The cottage is charming and Lorraine makes the most wonderful breakfast. I would not hesitate to recommend staying here to anyone who is looking for a casual relaxing time. Will definitely stay there again should we go back to Victoria.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Cottage Pirouette B&B? Share your experiences!