“I've stayed here several times and in different seasons.” 5 of 5 stars

You added HI Victoria Hostel to your Saves list
HI Victoria Hostel
516 Yates Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1K8, Canada (Downtown)   |
Anchorage
“I've stayed here several times and in different seasons.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

We've stayed here several times over the past few years. My son is now in his last year in high school (Brentwood College School) in Mill Bay, North of Victoria. Connie and I are booking with HI Victoria now for late September.

I'd rate HI Victoria near the very top of my extensive hosteling experience. I've stayed with Connie, with 2-3 children ranging from 8-17, stayed in dorms, private rooms (haven't seen the semi-private rooms, as mentioned above). It's the most fun & enjoyable lodging opportunity in Victoria, IMHO.

Staff can't be beat. Very polite, helpful, and personable, in our experience. Hostel is very clean. Waterfront location *absolutely* can't be beat. Nothing else comes very close. Yes, parking is challenge anywhere in downtown Victoria, but we've never had much of a problem.

Our home is in Anchorage, blanton at mac dot com.

Good food in the neighborhood. Among our favorites are the Pickle for breakfast, and the Pita place just around the corner.

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washtington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

My husband and I just stayed two nights at this hostel. We stayed in the semi-private room, which means that although you have a key to your door--the walls of the room we stayed in do not reach the ceiling! To be fair, we were warned of this when making the reservation and it actually wasn't much of a problem, except for turning the light on at night and waking up the bunks next to us. The room was really small which the staff were apologetic about, but I actually felt quite lucky when I saw the majority of the accomadations which were huge rooms with lots of bunk beds and no door at all.

The staff were fantastic and you could tell they spent a lot of time ensuring the safety and security of the guests. That said, having stayed in many European hostels, I was surprised that many of the guests were not youth at all. There were many mid-aged adults and some older adults. Some of the mid-aged adults seemed to be staying on an extended basis for the low cost accomadations, rather than being travelers like you usually find in hostels. Specifically, there was one guy who was there all three days we were there who spent the whole day by himself sleeping in a chair. This kind of thing and the general look and smell of the hostel made it feel more like a homeless shelter than a thriving hostel.

Other small things that made the hostel seem sketchy...the TV in in the TV lounge doesn't have the ability to be turned down as both the down arrows for channels and volume are literally worn out; the showers don't have a changing area; the carpet is old and nasty; the furniture is gross; the disabled bathroom smelled like urine the whole time we were there (despite being cleaned regularily) and had a commode next to the toilet at all times even though I'm not sure this would be useful to people in wheelchairs necessarily since it too was on wheels. All of these things left us with the impression that the place was dirty and never made you feel at home. I didn't get the same sense of community that I've felt in other hostels since many guests were not travelers in the sense that you find in Europe.

I would not recommend this hostel, nor would we stay again. The price is definitely right, but I've seen MANY better hostels for the same price. And, as another reviewer pointed out--Victoria is small enough that even though the hostel is located in a great place--so are most other accomadations.

• Liked — Staff were really nice.
  • Disliked — Other than the staff, I have nothing good to say about this hostel.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nambour, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

My husband, two children and I booked to stay in this hostel for three nights but only stayed one. We had a private 4-bunk room, but the boys had to walk through the male dorm to go to the bathroom- very intimidating for our 10-year-old son.

The front office staff was quite unfriendly. There was no parking nearby.

The hostel was in a very convenient location downtown, and this is probably a reasonable option for backpackers but not couples or families.

• Liked — Low cost
  • Disliked — Walking through multi-bed dorm to bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

I'll give this HI credit for one thing: it was clean. Other than that, I wouldn't dare recommend it to my friends. I stayed here for two nights while looking for an apartment for the school year. My dorm was huge and there was no noise control! Other girls were up all night, so the rest of us got absolutely no sleep. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure anyone who can pay, can stay there... so there were a handful of weirdos hanging around.

It's true that it's close to everything in downtown, but, now that I live in Victoria, I've noticed that ALL the hostels are close to everything. Downtown is pretty small in itself.

My advice to anyone coming to VictoriaL check out the other hostels first, you'll be much more comfortable!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to HI Victoria Hostel? Share your experiences!