“Family of 4 with kids 9 & 11” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Bay Beach Hotel

You added Oak Bay Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1175 Beach Drive, Victoria, British Columbia V8S 2N2, Canada   |
Special Offer
Leap Into Spring
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Victoria
Phoenix, Arizona
“Family of 4 with kids 9 & 11”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family of 4 w/ kids 9 & 11 stayed here while visiting Victoria for 3 days. The hotel and its property are gorgeous and the staff is very friendly! There weren't a lot of kids at the hotel, but we felt very welcome. There is a "whisper time" after 9pm by the pool and neighbors did complain to the hotel when my kids were shouting. The hotel staff was very nice about asking us to keep the noise down and it is understandable since the hotel is in the middle of a neighborhood with condos right next door.
There are three restaurants in the hotel with Kate's being casual and serving kid-friendly food. There is a pub that is really nice with a balcony, however, kids under 19 are not allowed. We were able order drinks though and take them out of the pub to drink by the pool or on the main balcony. The formal dining room was too fancy for our family's casual vacation, so we didn't try it.
The one downside to the hotel is that it is a 15 minute drive out of downtown Victoria. This could be seen as a positive, since it allows for a quiet and relaxing stay with amazing views from the other side of the bay. Unfortunately, for us though, we didn't rent a car so ended up spending a lot of money on cab fare to and from downtown ($20 each way). The hotel does have a shuttle (which is a car fitting 4 passengers), but it was spotty as to when we could actually reserve it. Would have been great if the hotel had a van that drove into town at least a couple of times a day.
Overall, we had a great stay and would recommend others to stay there as long as you are okay with the location (rent a car, are okay with spending a lot on cab fare, or plan to just relax at the hotel most of the time). As mentioned, the hotel is in a neighborhood, so not much to walk to in the way of attractions. The neighborhood is very pretty with cute houses, which makes going for walks enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view as the water, island, and mt views are so much what makes the hotel is beautif...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Would really like to give this hotel 5 stars, unfortunately it's just not quite there. The devil is in the details, as they say.

The good:
*View is spectacular.
*Food at the hotel is very good.
*Service is good.
*Pool and hot tub is spectacular.

The bad:
*The toilet paper is cheap and scratchy. For a luxury hotel, this is not the place to cut corners.
*The vanity has the most ridiculous faucets and sinks, and you nearly have to place your toothbrush in the overflow drain to get it in the water stream. Gross.
*The toilets are supposed to be Eco-friendly, so that means they don't flush. When you have have to flush 2-3 times to get the scratchy T.P. to flush, you're not conserving anything.
*Our shower was completely broken and missing the knob. How does the staff miss something like this when cleaning? We had to ask for a repair which was just inconvenient. We got an apology.
*The worst thing--lack of wifi. We have a beautiful balcony that we couldn't enjoy our online newspaper subscription from. No kidding, wifi in the room is fine, but as soon as we went on the balcony, absolutely no signal. Same goes for the pool--again absolutely zero wifi signal. In this day and age, I find that extremely unacceptable.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We booked this hotel really without knowing anything about it or Victoria Island. We were so pleasantly surprised with how lovely and personable this hotel was. The staff is beyond wonderful. Everyone: the bellman, front desk personnel, manager, restaurant staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. (frankly, everyone in Canada we came in contact with was pretty darn nice!). The Oak Beach Hotel is in a great location- away from the hub bub of the city, but close enough to get there in minutes. The wharf was 7 min down the road where we took a whale watching tour. (saw a killer whale pod of 20 Orcas!!). The hotel rooms are immaculate ( and I am very fussy!), and very comfortable. We had a Harbor view, which I recommend, beautiful and quiet!!!! There is a lovely golf course walking distance from the hotel. We didn't play it, but walking past it reminded me alittle of Pebble beach coast view... Wonderful place to stay!!!

Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

First time visit with this luxury hotel … stunning exterior/interior design. Luxurious guest rooms that are beautifully furnished including kitchenette and spacious contemporary bathroom. High quality bed and bath linen. Impeccable! Valet service into the city if needed. Professional, courteous employees. Incredible amenities to relax and enjoy including hot tubs and pool that are designed to make you feel like you're on the ocean's edge! And the view … breathtaking!!

Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

From check-in to check-out, I would say that our experience was superb. The staff were so kind, our room was large, lovely and equipped with everything we could need. The beds were super comfortable with such luxurious linens. There were plenty of towels, a fridge, microwave, toaster and the right amounts of glass and china.The hotel and room were spotlessly clean and even the car park was clean, light and spacious . Parking and internet are free which is a nice change. The spa treatments are so relaxing and the whole pool area down by the ocean is gorgeous. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Just got back from Victoria, never been there before, We travel every July 4th holiday with the same couple for the last 30 years. we always want to try something new and do not care much about the budget (within reason). We picked Victoria B.C.. I enjoy researching hotels to find what I hope will be the best. After talking to other people who have been in Victoria, I realized I did not want to be in the direct center of town(very touristy), but I did want to have close accessibility. Also our group wanted a place with a pool and spa and a 5 star resort feel.
Bingo!!!
This hotel had it all, Location was amazing close to town yet in an area that was so far removed from the commercial area yet close to town.. The rooms depending on your budget can be very reasonable to a little pricey, We stayed in the panoramic view one bedroom suite on the 3rd floor( a little more pricey but well worth it). The view will give you a chill on the back of your neck. The Hotel was rebuilt and reopen 2 years ago so everything is brand new. The pool area is awesome, mineral pools and hot tubs plus the view, are really something. The one problem during our stay was that it was a holiday (Canada Day) and the lack of lounge chairs was a problem (although the management realizes the issue and is adding more lounge chairs in the near future). I would give that to growing pains.
Also great bar and restaurants on the premises if you want to dine there (breakfast service a little slow, (but I am from the northeast U.S.,no patience).

But above all the service at this hotel from the complimentary car service into town (about 10 min. ride) to the staff is 5 star. Especially my experience with Bryan (one of the managers at the property). I had an issue at the pool and not only did he do everything in his power to make things right, through out my stay, I would see him or he would find me and make sure things were good. His gracious attitude, and genuineness was over the top.
During my 5 day stay I talked with other guests at the hotel, I will say a lot of them were upscale residents of Victoria or from Vancouver, this just reconfirmed to me that this hotel was the really something speacial.

Room Tip: Anything with a view of the water, even if it is a little more, it is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear David R.
We are thrilled that you choose the Oak Bay Beach Hotel for your Victoria getaway. We are so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable and memorable stay. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our hotel service team. We do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and promise to get that extra seating by our seaside mineral pools so that all of our guests can enjoy this magical place.
Our Best
Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager
Mill Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I LOVE the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. On our most recent stay there (we stayed once before in the "old" hotel 10 years ago and once before in the "new" hotel one year ago) we were fortunate enough to get the Penthouse Suite. It was absolutely gorgeous, and left nothing to be desired. I have never stayed in a hotel room before that has an upstairs. The king sized bed and luxurious en suite were in the upstairs area, and the living area, kitchen, dining room, and second bedroom were downstairs. All areas in the room have a breathtaking ocean view. There is a long balcony to sit outside on, and take in the view. There were two fireplaces and three TVs (not that we watched TV while there). Service was excellent, and everyone was warm and welcoming. We ate in the Snug, the dining room, and had room service twice. The food was exceptional. We enjoyed a bottle of Pol Roger Champagne at dinner, and they brought us some special chocolate dipped strawberries to celebrate our anniversary. I am still thinking about the Hollandaise sauce from breakfast, it was delish. The staff were also happy to accomodate our little requests, like extra salmon on the smoked salmon eggs benny. Even the in-room coffee was good. I appreciated the valet parking, and I love the serene pool and hot tub area. I will return again and again, it's our new anniversary tradition. My only extra wish, is that I would have loved a stocked mini-bar.

Room Tip: I assume that all rooms are good, but I would suggest taking advantage of one of the many ocean view...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Oak Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!