“Beautiful Location. Great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Bay Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Oak Bay Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1175 Beach Drive, Victoria, British Columbia V8S 2N2, Canada   |
Special Offer
Summer Midweek Escape
Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Victoria
Twin Falls, Idaho
“Beautiful Location. Great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a quick 3 day getaway in August. Took the ferry from Seattle we called ahead and had the shuttle waiting to pick us up. (Not an ordinary shuttle, a Mercedes!). At any other hotel we've stayed check in is always at 3, but when we arrived at 11AM our room was ready! Ate at the on site restaurant The Snug Pub, great food & service! Only a few downsides 1) the spa & pool are open to the public to buy passes. Could not get into the spa the whole time we were there & the pool can be a bit busy. I can see why the locals would want to hang there. It is an amazing view right on the ocean. 2) No gift shop, I had the worst headache & they did not sell aspirin, toiletries ect...
The staff was very friendly, we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a peaceful relaxing getaway!

Room Tip: Rooms were amazing, not sure if there is a bad room on site. Summer months the heated floors are tu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Jennifer R;
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we greatly appreciate your kind words about our Team.

We have certainly become a destination for both locals and travelers alike, and do try to keep this in mind when setting day-pass numbers. We are sorry to hear there were no available appointments at the Boathouse Spa during this visit, but certainly glad you did get to enjoy the hot pools!

Also, having a dispenser to provide the items you mentioned such as pain relievers, is something we will consider in the future, for our Guests' convenience - Thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

With warm regards,

Thaylin Parrish

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We chose a rolls royce package for our 3 day stay at Oak Bay. Great location, great staff attitude, food fabulous BUT some aspects of this reinvented hotel disappointed. The lack of fresh flowers and plants throughout the complex, especially in the conservatory and main lounge area brought a certain emptiness that we brought to the attention of the management. That was August so, hopefully, by now (October) they have addressed this. Also, the small pool complex had been very badly designed so that when you are sitting/swimming in any of the pools all you see is steel barriers, outdoor furniture and peoples' legs as most of the seating has been placed in front of the pools and not behind them. This completely detracts from the beautiful view. What on earth were they thinking. The designer obviously didn't have a clue! To top it off the pool area had been opened to the public at a fee. BAD move as the only day we spent poolside was impacted upon by a local woman who had a fully fledged tantrum, swearing and slamming the gate in protestation over having to pay aaand making derogatory marks about the guests which left us all reeling. The small gym attached had the running machine on the other side of the sauna wall so forget relaxing in the sauna when someone is pounding the beat next door. There was a hideous painting in the main lounge which many of the staff agreed was "hideous"! Hope it's been removed. Love the fine dining room but emphasised the need to put large potted plants as a screen to stop patrons from mini pub spoiling the view. Despite these grumbles, we had the best High Tea we have experienced in the world here...better than the Empress Hotel. Breakfast and dinner was sensational, Manager lovely and great at selecting professional staff, bathroom and bedroom amenities of fine quality. Would we stay here again? Definitely, YES, as I believe the management are sincere in their endeavours to iron out these hiccups that defeat Oak Bay's five star potential.

Room Tip: our corner suite balcony was above the in house boutique pub so some noise and lack of privacy preve...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Boheme9,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our Hotel on Trip Advisor. It is through valuable comments such as yours that enable us to know we are on the right track towards Intentional Hospitality. We appreciate you are an experienced traveller with a great deal of insight as to what functions best for the distinguished hotel guest. As we approach our one year anniversary we continue to gather feedback and information from our guests in order to ensure memorable experiences here at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel. Rest assured all comments are taken seriously and reviewed. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to North America.
Best Regards,
Thaylin Parrish
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the beautiful Oak Bay Beach Hotel for one night. We are locals, but we like to treat ourselves to a nice evening away from home once and a while by staying at the various hotels throughout Victoria. Last night we decided to visit Oak Bay Beach Hotel for the first time. It is an astonishingly beautiful hotel, a great location with oceanside views, and all of the staff we encountered were very welcoming and courteous. We started off the evening by enjoying a great dinner at the Snug Pub, no complaints there.

After dinner we called down to the front desk and asked for some slippers so we could go outside and enjoy the beautiful oceanside pools. My wife asked for two pairs of slippers and some epsom salts, which the front desk assured would be no problem. The slippers ended up taking 45 minutes to get up to the room! I understand that it is a large hotel and volume can effect deliveries, but I've never waited 45 minutes for anything at a hotel, let alone for a couple of pairs of slippers (I would have saved everyone some trouble and went and retrieved them myself had I known it would take so long). The house-person was very apologetic and sincere, but when I asked him about the epsom salts he had no idea what I was talking about. I told him not to worry about it and cut my losses.

We enjoyed our time in the pools and had a wonderful sleep. We woke up well rested and decided to order room service. I just want to start off by saying that Eggs Benedict is my all time favourite food. I really enjoy experiencing all of the various takes on the Eggs Benny that the hotels and restaurants around Victoria have to offer, so naturally with all of the hype surrounding Oak Bay Beach Hotel, my wife and I were really excited to try their versions of the Eggs Benny.

We ordered our room service at 730 and ended up waiting a full hour for our food! Once again, I understand that it was probably very busy, but the onus is on the business to be prepared for that. After the server left us our food, we were prepared to dig in. Well that didn't go so well. It was horrible. The Benny's had obviously been under a heat lamp FOREVER. The hollandaise was pretty much baked on. The eggs were cooked completely wrong, the Vegetarian Benny didn't come with the fruit salad as specified in the menu, both Benny's tasted awful, we didn't get the extra cream for our coffee that we asked for, and so much more. It was miles beyond mediocre. Out of all of the Eggs Benedict I've had around Canada over the years, the only one I've had in comparable quality was at a Husky truck-stop in Regina, Saskatchewan. For a $50 dollar breakfast at a "prestigious" hotel, we expected MUCH better quality. We would have brought it to the attention of the flustered room service attendant but he was in and out before we had a chance to even notice anything.

I have NEVER made a complaint about food to an establishment before, I'm usually very passive when it comes to dining but this was bad. I called the front desk right away and they assured me that the meal would be comped, which is a nice gesture but doesn't really solve the fact that we were stuck with crappy food.

After enjoy the pools one last time, we proceeded to the front desk to check-out. They were about to charge me the $50 for breakfast when I reminded them that they had assured me that they would take the breakfast off of my bill. Once again nobody had a clue what I was talking about. Everything was sorted out by the time we left, but the experience left a lot to be desired.

I just want to reiterate that every staff member was very professional, friendly, and overall great. However, I do have some concerns with the hotel's lines of communication. I found it very odd that there wasn't a direct line to room service and that we had to order through the switchboard operator/frontdesk. I can see that as having a negative impact on the hotel logistically because evidently a lot of things get lost in translation when having to deal with multiple "middlemen". Also, it shouldn't take 45min-1h for a delivery of any sort. It is a large, popular hotel with a lot of guests. It will be very busy a lot of the time. Management should be prepared for those possibilities and plan accordingly.

I would recommend this hotel for its passive features and its inviting staff, but I hope they can work out some of their logistical problems, and focus on the quality of their food. They have a long way to go in terms of quality compared to other hotels around Victoria in that aspect. Sorry for the long winded review, they took care of us in the end, but I don't want them to sweep experiences like these under the rug.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This place is beautiful. We arrived late. As we drove 5 hours from Telegraph Cove. When we entered the room we were thrilled. It is absolutely lovely. The rooms are large and the bathroom is as big as a standard hotel room. Unfortunately, for us it was just a one night stay as we had to catch the ferry. But when we went down to the lobby and looked out the back door we were so disappointed that we weren't staying longer. Absolutely gorgeous views and spot. We will definitely be back. Can't wait!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunshine Coast BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had a special family celebration and Oak Bay Beach Resort offered us a great place to gather together.
It is a beautiful hotel that is a little out of the main downtown Victoria area, and an advantage to that is that you can park at the Hotel without any extra fee. The rooms are lovely and a fully equipped kitchenette allowed us to shop and store food for a family picnic at the near by Willows Beach.
The hotel itself is very comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Pub is always busy but has a great atmosphere and good food. Kate's Cafe is a great option for a quick bite or a morning coffee. It worked perfectly for our family and little Granddaughter to enjoy a simple meal. The beautiful lounge in the main lobby is a delightful place to have an afternoon cocktail or an evening beverage.
The mineral pools are beautiful to relax in and you have a gorgeous view out over the water.
Next time we would be interested in enjoying the dinner theatre that is part of the hotel.

All in all it was a very special weekend. Whether you go as a couple for a romantic get away or as a family to enjoy time together, this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Their have great specials offered on-line so check these out first and see if there are any you can...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cucina58,
Thank you for choosing the Oak Bay Beach Hotel for your Family Celebration. We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay in our Manor House by the Sea, and are pleased you and your family were able to take advantage of our many outlets. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best Regards,
Thaymie Parrish
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Even though we live just short walk from The Oak Bay Beach Hotel we booked a night to enjoy the property in its entirety. We checked in a bit early on a beautiful sunny day and headed right down to the pools...Had a nice lunch and some bubbly poolside and relaxed all afternoon...The service was great. My wife had a massage treatment in the Spa as well later in the afternoon.....Also excellent. Snug for dinner and enjoyable overnight stay. The room was very well appointed and we did have a great view over looking the ocean and pools on the 2nd floor.
Breakfast the next morning in the dining room then a short walk home....Would highly recommend a stay here even if you live close by and any time of year...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Issaquah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My family and I took a short trip north from Seattle and stayed here for just one night. Had a pleasant dinner in our room & early morning swim and then excellent breakfast in the restaurant on site.
If one ever needs to re-charge ones batteries, stay here. We loved it and we highly recommend this.

P.S. It is not located in the downtown Victoria nor is it walking distance to the city center.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the courtyard and this work fine for us.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Oak Bay Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!