“Never judge a book by its cover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Victoria
Surf Motel
Save Saved
You added Surf Motel to your Saves list
290 Dallas Road, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 1A6, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Victoria
Victoria, Canada
“Never judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

. . . nor should you judge a hotel by its exterior. After twenty years of driving by this very unassuming property we decided to cross the threshold and experience the interior - what an unexpected surprise. The Surf's is a well maintain property with delightful rooms all of which have balconies and wonderfully water views. As has been said by other guests this is truly a Victoria treasure and well worth a stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have just returned from 1 night at the Surf Motel. It was a spur-of-the- moment Valentine's Day adventure. We loved the place ! It has magnificent views out over the Strait of Juan de Fuca and across to the Olympic Mountains, not to mention all the marine traffic. The motel room was very comfortable, and completely spotless. A comfortable bed, with really nice bedding, a flat screen t.v., and a well equipped kitchenette. It is within easy walking distance to James Bay, where there are many shops and restaurants. We'll be back for sure !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
This was the final Canadian motel I stayed at before heading stateside.
There are lots of hotels in Victoria overlooking the downtown harbour if you enjoy seeing other hotels out your window but this is the only place actually on the ocean side so prepare yourself for unbelievable views you just can't get anywhere else! All rooms have their own private balconies with table & chairs for enjoying a glass of wine while the cruise ships slide on by! What attracted me to this place was the fact it is a family run motel that was build back in the early '60's by a farmer from Saskatchewan with vision...unbelievable! This place has the coolest, funkiest rooms I've ever seen that come with stove, fridge, cooking utensils, dishes, plates, real drinking glasses, bowls, mugs...good luck trying to get that in any modern chain! My room was spotless and I just got a smile on my face the first time I saw the checkerboard floor...a short walk to the downtown for tons of sightseeing and restaurants to suite any budget. I had planned on going to the famous Empress for high tea in the afternoon but then found out it's like $60.00 so I opted for plan B...got a $4.00 ice cream cone and took a picture of it in front of the Empress...hey, you do what you gotta do right? The money I saved paid for two meal nights at the Old Spaghetti Factory with wine both nights! Now that's value for your money! All in all a great motel with character & charm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stay in Surf Motel every time we come to Victoria so it's obvious we really love it. Before we discovered it we stayed in other motels and hotels and there is just no comparison. The location is fantasic - amazing views, you can just spend time gazing through the window. The rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean. I've just spotted five harbour seals cruising along the shore. And then there is more - just on the other side of the street is Ogden Point - my favourite walk is on the breakwall but there are also lots of walks along the coast. Ogden Point Cafe has amazing food and location and has just undergone renovations.
Ogden Point Dive Shop is just on the other side of the street so it's also a perfect location for divers.
The motel is walking distance to shops (James Bay - 10 minutes - more cafes there), Fishermen's Wharf (15 minutes) and the city (20 minutes). The rooms are spacious, large flat tvs, free internet, tea and coffee provided, well equipped kitchen with a big fridge. Despite its 1960s style the motel has lots of charm, is very clean and well maintained.
The motel is a family-run business, incredibly friendly and helpful staff.
If you really worry about noise and like having your window open it may not be best accommodation for you, the street next to the hotel is a bit busy.....

Room Tip: Top floor (second) has the best views, some rooms have two Queen bedds, some one bed - need to ask f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Smiths Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We really enjoyed this location, our room and the staff. What a great every changing ocean view! How refreshing to see the ocean, the fishing boats, ships, sailboats, tugs and cruise ships rather than more buildings. I enjoy sleeping to the sound of the waves and I don't mind the seagulls. We were only minutes away from downtown, and closer to the breakwater, and a great little restaurant the "Ogden Cafe".
Our room was very clean, recently renovated, but keeping that retro charm. The small kitchenette with table, stove, fridge, dishes and 'a kettle' for tea drinkers was a wonderful convenience. Our mattresses were great to sleep on and we had two pillows each, a great comforter and a fleece inner blanket. The wireless internet was also a plus.
It is a family-owned motel and the family and other staff were great. As a small hotel you seldom saw other guests. It was affordable and convenient. When I go back to Victoria, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

First, the pro's: nice enough motel, staff was friendly and helpful. Outstanding view from the room. Bathroom was spotless and looked to be fairly recently re-done. Located in a neighborhood of older homes, many of which are being/have been restored, so if you enjoy strolling through those types of areas, then that's a plus for you, and the downtown/shopping areas can be reached on foot.

And the con's: as another reviewer mentioned, the city busses are noisy. Stayed a Saturday and Sunday, and as of 10 pm Saturday the busses were still going strong, every 10 minutes or so. Who knows how late they run? Thankfully, I feel asleep. Sunday was not a problem at all. The seagulls make a crazy racket starting way too early and going for an hour, then they seemed to quiet down. So consider packing a pair of earplugs. Mattresses are worn out; they dip quite a bit in the middle, and the blankets are the thin polyester type that don't breathe well.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our recent vacation to Victoria. We had never been to Victoria before but we knew we wanted an ocean view hotel. This hotel met all of our expectations and more! Every room has an amazing view of the endless ocean. Many "oceanfront" hotels were in the bays so you were looking across the bay to other hotels or bldgs. The view also showed the cruise ships nearby and a great walking path along the beach (right across the street from the hotel). We did not rent a car but were only a 10-15 minute walk to the fisherman's wharf and downtown. They also offered free parking but it looked like only 3-4 parking spaces. However, the spaces were readily available when we were there.

Our room was very clean and well maintained. I knew the bldg must be quite old but the rooms and building had obviously been updated and were in great condition. We cooked breakfast every morning and ate on the balcony (we moved the small dining table out onto the balcony). Kitchen was well stocked, but small. However, plenty for the two of us. The sheets and towels were very clean and the bathroom was in great condition.

The only negative is the noise from the street. We had read reviews beforehand so we were prepared. I didn't notice the noise the first couple nights but the third night we went to bed a little earlier and it was a Sat night so maybe the buses ran later? Anyway, eventually the bus stopped coming by and it was just a white noise of traffic. Maybe bring a white noise machine if you go to bed early. During the night I slept great so it was quiet most of the night and early morning.

I really loved this hotel and would absolutely choose it again over more pricey chain hotels. Service was very nice and it had a family-owned feel. I loved the views, cleanliness, affordable price and location in a quiet neighborhood. We walked to grocery stores and were a short walk to the bus line that takes you to the ferry boat.

I think this hotel could really do more in terms of marketing because it is such a great place but not easy to find on-line and didn't seem very busy. I hope they get more business from my review. They deserve it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!