“Kindness, Amazing Cooking and Lovely Room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
59 Oswego St, Victoria, British Columbia V8V 2A7, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 110 Victoria B&B and Inns
Whistler, Canada
“Kindness, Amazing Cooking and Lovely Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for two nights and had a lovely visit. Vanessa and Dean are two very interesting and kind people with some very interesting family members. Butler the cat is sweet as are the two cockatoos. I learned a great deal about the plight of these wonderful birds as they were both rescue birds taken in by Vanessa and Dean. It takes very special people with huge hearts to take on such a commitment. Their home is very clean and full of interesting things that make the house very special and unique. The breakfast was amazing! My room was comfortable and the location gives you quick and easy access to the center of town. I was in Victoria for the Tour de Victoria and Vanessa even allowed me to bring my bike into the house so that I could give it a last minute check prior to the race. I highly recommend the Gingerbread Cottage and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed for one night while visiting friends in Victoria and we will be back!
Vanessa and husband were awesome. They were so helpful and friendly and
thought of everything. We stayed in the Klimt room with a private outdoor deck.
There were special lotions, coffee, teas, movies, such a comfy bed, lots of great
art and of course the breakfast! Really this was a first class meal. I think this is the best breakfast I have ever had. I really did not want to leave the breakfast table! Her baked goods
are straight out of a magazine and world class. Her options for breakfast main course
were great! We loved the birds, the hosts, the home and the meal. The location is awesome as well. You are just a couple of blocks from downtown and all the action yet this is a very quiet neighborhood.

Room Tip: no pool or fitness center - just not needed!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for 3 nights in the Lavender room (with private deck) in early May. We had a fantastic stay! Both Vanessa an Dean were very hospitable hosts... Vanessa's breakfasts were amazing to say the least. My partner is celiac and she went to the trouble to bake him his own fresh gluten free scones every morning. He said they were delicious... and in fact she made so many of them that he coudln't finish them all at breakfast so she gave us a little bag to take them with us to snack on the rest of the day! She also let me take a piece of her wonderful strudel and her rhubarb pie up to my room so I could eat it later because I was just so full from the tremendous breakfasts!

Other reviewers had said they didn't need lunch after her breakfasts and I thought it was an exageration, but it really is true!

The room was very nice and I am very glad we got the room with the deck. We had beautiful sunshine and it was nice just to sit out there after a long day of walking just to kick back and relax.

The *only* negative part of the experience was that there would be no way to sleep in even if we had wanted to. One of the cockatoos is very, very loud in the morning and becomes your 8:15 am alarm clock if you want her to or not! Good thing we were getting up anyway to enjoy the amazing breakfasts!

We will stay again if we go back to Victoria. Location was good for a walk into town provided the weather is decent and you have time to kill.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge for the deck... it was well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Gingerbread ottage. The location was great, walking distance to everything in Victoria. A very attractive room with a private outdoor patio.

The breakfast was outstanding. The onwer is a gourmet chef. I had a smoked salmon omelet, homemade bread and strudels and fresh fruit for dessert. I was so full I skipped lunch, even though we spent the day walking around Victoria.

I would definitely stay again. It was worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Langley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I were at Gingerbread Cottage in Dec. 2011 to visit family in Victoria.. We enjoyed the best breakfast we have ever had in a B and B. Location was great for walks on the cliffs above the beaches. The collection of antiques were a little overwhelming for me. A few less would work better for me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage in August 2011 and enjoyed the experience so much that we returned again late October 2011 simply to have a repeat! After looking at the numerous glowing reviews, we would endorse virtually all the positive comments. Worth also noting that most of the amazing breakfast foods are not only freshly prepared/baked, but also contain organic and/or locally sourced foods.
We have certainly found Vanessa & Dean hospitable hosts and have no hesitation in recommending their B & B to those people looking for a Victorian style ambience and, we daresay, virtually unique with the abundance of period type decor items. The two parrots and 'well built' friendly resident cat 'Butler' are also a nice touch.
Neil & Muriel

Room Tip: For later in the year, a room at the rear of the cottage, with attached sun decks, provides ample su...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Gingerbread cottage B&B. Our room was very quaint, comfortable and fun. There is a little museum's worth of collectibles, antiques, heritage and culture found in all the little nooks and cubbies, walls and tables of the house.

The breakfast was fabulous, and highly recommended.

Vanessa waqs very helpful in suggesting things to do and see on our short stay. We enjoyed walking to the sea wall, and following the path to the docks and harbor area of Victoria. The sights and sounds of Victoria are beautiful. We also enjoyed our tour of Butchart Gardens. The flowers in full bloom were amazing. What a beautiful treasure in B.C.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!