“Cool Place to Eat!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Round Rock, TX
“Cool Place to Eat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We are in Vancouver for a few days on vacation and based on a recommendation we headed up tp Horseshoe Bay and ate at Troll's. we ate outside and enjoyed the amazing views. Burgers were just ok, but the breakfasts and sandwich/soup was really good. Staff was friendly and we loved playing at the park across the street. Highly recommend Troll's if looking for a fun family outing with great views, good food, and cold beer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Holly K, General Manager at Troll's Horseshoe Bay, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
RRCoopers.....thank you so much for your review! We love it when the travelers enjoy their time with us in our beautiful little village!...and all the way from Texas! Thanks...hope to see you again sometime soon! Cheers, Holly

Kelowna, Canada
“Worst of the worst.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Boy ! has this place gone downhill in a heck of a hurry. Disgusting food served by a totally indifferent server ( she is still probably wondering why I didn't leave a tip ).
Troll's had such a good reputation at one time but I guess those days are gone. We stopped in for breakfast prior to boarding the ferry for Nanaimo.
As far as being presentable the server was far from it, no smile, no hello and made it rather obvious we were " a bit of a nuisance to her " .
Sausage and eggs, two orders please, one coffee ,,,, thank you ,,, sorry to bother you ,,,.
To me there is something radically wrong when breakfast in a place such as Troll's cannot be produced without the use of a deep fryer.
The pre - frozen cubed potatoes were deep fried but worst of all so were the sausages, dark brown and tough as shoes leather ,,, disgusting to say the least.
The toast on the plate, no way of knowing which side was buttered ( if it was buttered at all ).I was served one coffee ( $ 2.15 ) and that was the last we saw of the server, until she brought the bill, no refill for the coffee ,,, not a chance.
I was day chef at a four star resort, I've cooked thousands of breakfasts and quality ones at that and not once in my years of cooking breakfasts did I ever use a deep fryer for hash browns and especially sausages.
Too bad that restaurant ( Troll's ) doesn't have any competition as far as breakfasts are concerned in Horseshoe Bay. Even the breakfast food on board BC Ferries is far superior to the crap they sling at Troll's ,,, don't even dream of eating breakfast in that place ,,,, the bill by the way was $ 27.85 ,,, no tip of course.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Holly K, General Manager at Troll's Horseshoe Bay, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
My heart drops when I read reviews like this. As the General Manager I and my team strive to provide the best of food, service and ambiance possible and it is clear from this customer's response he liked none of it. I can make no excuses for his feelings and can assure other customers his opinions are just that...his opinions. This is a difficult world in which to make everyone happy...so for you sir...I apologize and wish you all great experiences elsewhere. For those of you who do have great experiences at our restaurant....thank you for your patronage...we know you are out there....and appreciate the good things you do say about us.
Nanaimo
“Enjoyable lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Five of us went for a quick lunch before boarding the ferry to Nanaimo. The service was great and the food was yummy. It was fresh, tasty, with good sized portions.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Holly K, General Manager at Troll's Horseshoe Bay, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Sunnie48....Thanks!! Glad everything worked out for you yesterday. I was in the room yesterday and saw your party come....and go....and was pleased we were able to accommodate you in a timely fashion with good food and good service! It's what we always strive for! Look forward to seeing you again.
Gibsons, Canada
“Yummy in my Tummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Me and my other half had an hour to wait for the ferry and we were hungry so decided to go to Trolls.

We were greeted with a glass of iced water each and ordered our meals.

We shared yam fries, I had clam chowder and my other half has the egg and bacon toasted sandwich with potato tots. It arrived in under 20 minutes. Was delicious! Definitely will eat there again when we wait for the ferry!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rachie:...Thanks!!! Always nice to hear from those customers who do have a great experience at our restaurant!!! We look forward to serving you again! Enjoy the sunny summer we are just about to have!
Bowen Island, Canada
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We dropped into Troll's last week for a very early breakfast (about 6AM before catching the first ferry to Langdale) and were greeted professionally by the lone waiter. Ordered poached eggs, with bacon and toast. We were told poached eggs only available if we ordered Eggs Benedict! Didn't quite understand this, especially as there were only three other guests in the restaurant. Our breakfasts were ok. Coffee was ok. Prices were ok. What more can I say - it was ok but.... was hoping for a little more.

Visited April 2013
Terry: Thanks for your comments...we appreciate you taking the time to give us your thoughts. Yes...the poached egg concern. Our years of experience has told us that poached eggs are a very particular item in customer's pallet and if not made to exact specifications then complaints occur. So...we limit the poached eggs to eggs benny as if we were to provide poached eggs on every breakfast offering we would be subject to these particular pallets and meals would be held up. I appreciate it was not busy at the time you were there but there are days when we are extremely busy so we have made a corporate rule to stand by this policy. Thank you for your understanding. We do try to make each experience extraordinary so I apologize if we hit just an ok experience on this go around...try us again...and see if we can spice it up a bit more for you! Look forward to that time.