“Great concept - great service” 4 of 5 stars

46 Water Street - Blood Alley, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
604.633.1912
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Salt Tasting Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 2,846 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Contemporary, Organic, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Abbott or Carrall
Description: Salt Tasting Room in Blood Alley showcases the finest meats, cheese, and condiments in all the land. Our chalk-board menu changes daily: J.N.&Z. smoked beef tenderloin, Mike Vitow's corned beef, Agassiz Farm House Cheddar, Cashel Blue Irish Blue Cheese, Neal's Yard Lincolnshire Poacher, Fireweed Honey, Marcona Almonds and Ambrosia apples may be on. Create a tasting plate and pair with a flight of rare wines, beers or sherries. Dine at our 18ft. communal table deep in the heart of Historic Gastown.
Austin, Texas
“Great concept - great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

It's hard to find, but worth the effort. The concept is simple - pick a couple meats and cheeses, maybe pair it with a wine or two and enjoy. There is a small bar area - most tables are family style so it's good for groups big or small.

Visited September 2012

Maryland
“Fun way to sample food and wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stumbled upon Salt in a travel book and knew it would be fun. Choosing from the limited menu of food and/or cheese and condiments then having the waitress select appropriate wines was really a fun adventure. It was a bit pricey but so is everything in Vancouver.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Wine, Cheese, Charcuterie... Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had excellent wine, cheese and charcuterie tastings at Salt Tasting Room. We chose a sampling of three wines from the Pacific Northwest. The sommelier chose wines that paired appropriately with the cheese and charcuterie plates— I think it’s best to let experts choose the pairings for me in a place like this. Hidden down a back alley in the Gastown section of the city, the people at Salt Tasting Room do a great job.

Read more at: www.thetattooedtraveler.com

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Whitehorse, Canada
“is this mostly hype?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I love food and I love drink as much, probably more than the next person. With L'Abattoir around the corner, this area is rapidly becoming my favourite spot in Vancouver.
We got 2 barstools as the place was packed and ordered a wine flight and food to match. My partner ordered his own so we could try as much as possible.
I'm afraid nothing really stood out. The wine and food pairings were nothing amazing. We've had many of those wines before. And the plates of cheese and meats...none of them were special orders as far as I could tell. These are things you can pick up at Granville Island or Whole Foods. One of the plates was 3 thin slices of Granny Smith apple!! For the prices they are charging, this is atrocious. Quite simply, I felt that with a few friends each bringing a cheese and a bottle of wine, we could have had a better time at home and more economically too. Sorry, this is not a do-over for me.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“Nice place, scary location, Blood Alley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Food was fabulous, service was great. When the taxi pulled in to the alley and there were people around the dumpsters, doing I don't want to know what! I was really glad I was not driving. No way I would ever had gone down here. It was so worth it. Salt is great. We had the best of BC plate, a few mixed plates and a flight of wine. The best part is the pairings, they do a masterful job of just the right combinations.

Visited August 2012