“Lunch a great success!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yew Seafood + Bar

Yew Seafood + Bar
Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver | 791 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 2T4, Canada (Formerly Yew Restaurant + Bar) (Downtown)
604-692-4939
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Yew Seafood + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 3,029 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Howe & West Georgia
Description: YEW seafood + bar is one of the city's premier seafood restaurants, delivering exceptionally delicious cuisine, great wines, innovative cocktails and a fun, welcoming environment for guests — all wrapped in legendary Four Seasons service. Perched at treetop level in Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver, YEW's chic space, communal table and bar make it the perfect place to bring your social network.
Hamilton, Canada
“Lunch a great success!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had lunch at the Yew last Thursday. It was delicious! Even the " fish n' chips" my elderly father ordered was amazing. The fish was so tender and lightly battered. My prawns and scallop pasta was yummy. My husband liked the Halibut burger but would choose something else next time. The desserts topped it all. Brulee Duo and Lemon Creme Cheesecake. Wow! My suggestion-Make reservations even for lunch!

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at the Four Seasons Vancouver during our honeymoon and ate and drank at Yew several times. I hadn't really expected greatness but Yew delivered. The specialty cocktails were unique and well crafted (especially an off-menu cocktail that I can't remember the name of that's a bit like a Negroni, and the refreshing Bella Dama) and the bartenders were well-versed in their craft, friendly and full of thoughtful recommendations (both for drinks at YEW and for other area Vancouver sites).

We had breakfast several times, and the Scrambled Egg Whites (with tomato, goat cheese, onion and herbs with a kale salad) and the YEW Hash (sausage, corned beef, potatoes, sauerkraut, poached eggs, and hollandaise) were two of the best things we ate the entire time we were in Vancouver. Having said that, the shrimp frittata I had on our first visit was a little overcooked and dry (but I tend to think that of frittatas in general, so I had no business ordering it) and when my husband ordered the omelet he ended up wishing he had gotten the hash again. Which could just be interpreted as more praise for the hash, it really was insanely good.

If we get to visit Vancouver again, we will definitely make a point of frequenting YEW again!

Langley City, Canada
“Uneven”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked in for an early dinner after a Saturday afternoon theatre performance. I was looking forward to Yew, and really wanted to like it. I had staying in the Four Seasons Hotel just 2 weeks ago and was pretty taken with the place. Unfortunately, our evening was memorable in a couple less desirable areas.

The room is bright and airy with a high ceiling. Upon arriving, the bar was hopping, however, we were one of the first taking a table in the dining room. The greeting at the door was warm and inviting. Our waiter was attentive, friendly and informative. In fact, the staff were all excellent and the service top notch. A small item - some diners enjoy dressing up and some are more casual, however, few were as casual as the staff. The tee shirts and bright coloured running shoes didn't seem to belong.

On to the food. My wife ordered the Yew Salad and Sablefish. I ordered the Mussels to start and the filet and crab combo. Her salad was too acidic and needed a bit more goat cheese and pear to tone it down. They only gave her one small slice of pear. She asked for a bit more and they promptly brought it.

My Mussels were excellent - nice size, spotlessly cleaned, rich broth, lots of chorizo sausage and bread to go with. A couple other writers advised filling up on the Mussels and then not having much room left. I second this sentiment. If there is another time, I might opt for a salad or another appy with the Mussels and pass on a main course. It was very filling.

My wife's Sablefish was beautifully prepared, cooked perfect and very tasty. It was a very large portion and she had a hard time getting through it. I didn't mind helping her out with a couple bites, and it was outstanding.

Unfortunately, my steak and crab was less successful. The presentation was very nice, but the dish was completely cold. My steak was rare and I would have been ok it not being hot, but the mashed potatoes and bearnaise sauce and crab being cold were a bit repulsive. Our waiter didn't show up again for about 10 minutes, so I just muddled my way through it, but was pretty disappointed.

We shared the Chocolate Explosion for dessert, and although neither of us needed any more food at this point, it was stunningly prepared and very good.

So, in closing, there was much to like about Yew, however, the disappointments were pretty glaring. Seems to be a common thread with a number of diner's reviews.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santiago, Chile
“YEW! I really liked it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Really nice place, very trendy. Food was great, fish perfectly cooked and beautifully served. I actually had fun even if I was alone. Reflects perfectly well Vancouver's multicultural population and ambiance. Drinks, lots of people, good noise, good food, a place to be.
Service was exceptional, something not very usual in Canada, unfortunately. I most definitely recommend it.

Toronto
“amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

well worth checking out if you are staying at The Four Seasons and bill to your room, the bill doesn't seem so bad when you do that somehow lol. great food and amazing service, had an expensive but good breakfast here and evening meal.

Visited May 2013