“Always Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East is East

East is East
3243 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Kitsilano)
604 734 5881
Cuisines: Indian, Middle Eastern, Afghani
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Description: Our cuisine is inspired by the opulent flavors and meticulous cooking processes of Eastern cultures found along the ancient Silk Route - which includes the flavours in India, Afghanistan and Persia.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Always Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I love East is East!
Small, funky, and the food is consistently flavorful and perfectly cooked.
I love their Thallis - being able to pick and choose small portions is delightful, the chai is the best anywhere, and most of all - their lentil soup is incredible.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tofino, Canada
“Best Chai in BC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Wow; their green chai (almond milk) is sooo tasty and spicy. I dislike the overly sweet chai - yuck - served in most food and beverage establishments. I do not live in Vancouver, but whenever passing through I try to make it to Kits in order to give my taste buds a thrill. I usually don't have time to eat there, but their food is also very good and well-spiced.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“A new favorite. Taste and variety.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Saturday night I went with a large group to the East is East Broadway St. location, where the upstairs lounge is open for larger parties, and offered an incredible all you can eat buffet for $25.00. (I saw a few tables for four in the room where the buffet is, so I am assuming smaller parties can get in.) The small main floor of the restaurant is more conventional in seating.

The food was superb: tastes that explode in your mouth, but still light, not too heavily spiced for someone like me who normally would not order curry, never mind going back for seconds. Healthy and delicious, ranging from Vegan dishes to a seasonal fish curry that was bass in a coconut sauce to die for. From Soup, to dips, to mains, all the way to dessert of Kir, a cherry/chocolate pudding, honey saturated balls, and fruit.
As if the food weren't enough, there was a five piece group playing gypsy jazz, as we lounged in a true middle eastern atmosphere.

I was so enthused, that two nights later I took my family to the Main Street location, which is beautifully decorated, but not as authentic (meaning it is actually newer and fancier.) It was there I discovered that the buffet is only on Saturday nights at the Broadway location, and if you want the Chai feast tasting menu in the ordinary restaurant, you chose a soup, a salad, and two curries for a start, then continue to order other dishes from the tasting menu until you are full. We had a wonderful meal, but a number of the dishes I loved from the buffet are not on the Feast menu - only available a la carte - and I personally prefer having smaller portions of a larger variety of taste sensations available at the buffet. The entertainment at the Main Street location was lovely Flamenco guitar, and my son said he went to one of the locations not long ago, and there was a belly dancer.

There are evidently two more East is East locations. I am not sure where they are, or if they offer a buffet on Saturday, but the buffet is what we will do our best to access next time, back on Broadway on a Saturday night,

One does not have to go all way for a big, expensive dinner as we chose to do.There are many wonderful a la carte items for a simpler and less expensive lunch or dinner. Actually, I would drop in sometime just for wonderful chai tea or a mango lassi.

• Visited April 2013
“Great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous meal at East is East and loved the flamenco dancing and guitar music. Everyone from the minute we walked in the door to the moment we left were friendly and courteous. While waiting for our table we were offered tea and appies to try. Our wait was not longer than five minutes. The dinner was great, we each had the special which allowed us to try many different dishes and they were tasty and delish! I loved the way it was served in little dishes waiting to surprise you taste buds. We sat right next to the dance floor and were mesmerized by the flamenco dancing. We will return for the food, the service and the dancing, not so much for the chairs mind you! Thanks for a great evening!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Hands down, my favourite restaurant in Vancouver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have gone to this restaurant again and again and it never disappoints. I love that the food is very healthy- so no guilt to try everything!:) The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming, with chai tea samples at the beginning and smiley servers who give enthusiastic and helpful advice about the food. The darkened lighting, wood furniture, and carpets make dining feel really special. As for the food, I've been steadily working my way through the menu and everything is delicious. My favourites are the eggplant curry, the thai tofu curry, the mango prawns, and the Tibetan manchu (dumplings). The daal is also out of this world. If you're in the area, don't miss this exotic treat!

• Visited February 2013