“Great Food - very good service!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Dim Sum, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Coquitlam, Canada
“Great Food - very good service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

So often great food is not matched by good service. Happily we had both. Yes the prices are above average for a Chinese restaurant but well worth it if the atmosphere is matched by the quality of the food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Terrible service, poor attitude, average-tasting food = the most awful experience I've had since I've reviewed on TripA.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I am not quite sure where to start, so I will give it to those of you that are suffering through this review in chronological order.

1. We booked a table for Mother's Day - my sister and I were taking our parents out for Mother's Day dinner. We wanted a nice treat. So we book a table for 4 for 6:00PM, arrived at 6:05 (okay were were late) and did not get seated until 6:30. Perhaps a precursor of things to come?

2. We ordered our food in 10 minutes; which included their signature dish, the quail, a soup, fried rice, a vegetable dish, the Peking chops, and a Tofu hot pot. The soup and the quail arrived within 15 minutes, which was a good start - however, this was not to last. We received our third dish, the vegetable dish, about 15 minutes after we had finished the quail, and for a solid 25 minutes after finishing the vegetable dish, nothing else arrived. Most appallingly, not even a proactive apology for the slow service. Look - I don't expect anything for free. I get the fact that it is Mother's Day and the restaurant is packed. But the wait staff should show some empathy; we are paying a premium price for a (hopefully) premium experience. At $15-20 for an average entree, this place ranks as one of the more expensive Chinese seafood restaurants in Vancouver. The service we received was not commensurate with the prices.

3. The appalling service - many times the wait staff would just set bowls and other utensils down and walk away, and not even distribute them to individual diners. Again, if you frequent Chinese restaurants like I do (I am proudly ethnic Chinese and I love authentic Chinese food) you will note that relative to other ethnic restaurants (French, Japanese) that Chinese restaurants are not well known for great service. But the wait staff at this establishment managed to FAR undershoot even my fairly low expectations. They just set things down without announcing the dish, not offering to serve the first portions, looking indignant when I, as the customer, had the temerity to ask if there was anything they could do to speed up the delivery of our courses…just an appalling, appalling experience.

The table next to us (about 10 diners) was also celebrating Mother's Day and they waited so long some of their diners actually had to leave (although when they complained their food all arrived within 10 minutes).

After almost 2 hours in the restaurant; in which we were served 4 of our 7 dishes, we decided to vote with our feet and asked for the check. They then "upgraded" our normal soup to "special" soup that was an extra $10. $27 for soup that I could buy at any other Asian establishment for less than $10. Just a travesty. But at this point, we just wanted to get the heck out of the restaurant.

Bottom line - if you managed to survive to the end of this review - the food overall is decent and the quail is quite tasty. So if you can put up with bad service and get lucky in that the wait staff is accommodating and friendly on the date of your visit, I'd recommend Sun Sui Wah. Otherwise, I would recommend you avoid this place. I certainly will never patronize this place ever again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“Horrible Service and Attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Omg. HORRIBLE!!! I was bamboozled by the huge sign in the airport terminal into thinking that they had great food and a fantastic selection. Boy was I wrong!! I really wanted to try the king crab speciality. So, I called an hour before closing to see if it was available. "Yes, come on," I was told. I hurriedly jumped in the cab and 15 min later, I'm walking into a completely deserted restaurant, which looked like a dining hall of 200 empty, but set - tables. The head waiter told me as he was grabbing menus that, "It's late." I said, "Well, that's fine. We can leave." He said, "No No, we can seat you." As I sat down to order the crab, the waiter told me, "It's too big for you. Come back when you have a larger party." I'm floored. My friend asked for a dish on the half English menu, and was conveniently told it was not available. I said, "What is available?" The waiter quickly whips out the menu that he took away and pointed to the scallops and broccoli, and said, "That's good. You should try that." Uhh, ok....(mind you, I trekked out here for the crab that I saw in the holding tank 100 feet away, but I [a 215 lbs. guy] was told I couldn't handle it). The waiter brought my check as he was bringing the food. He also told us he sent the cook home. (So don't even think about ordering another thing...) So, to make a long story - short, I left a fabulous bar downtown to rush to a restaurant that told me what to order, what I couldn't order, and made me feel like it was an inconvenience to provide service. I can talk about it now, but that was a horrible experience and I will never go back. Tell all your friends to never go to sun Sui Wah. It's a total ripoff. Stick with Bluewater for seafood!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Like being back in HK, only better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Lived in HK for 9 years and one of my favourite things to do was go for Canto style seafood in Sai Kung or Lei Yue Mun.

Sun Sui Wah may not have the waterside location but it delivered an experience that equalled and perhaps surpassed most HK seafood places.

Tender scallops and huge meaty tiger prawns as good as anything served in Asia warmed us up for the signature dish that would be tough to replicate in HK: a delicious Alaskan King Crab in all its glory steamed with a garlicky sauce (later used to flavour the noodles).

So stuffed after the crab we could barely make a dent on the other dishes (fried tofu and ginger/spring onion beef) but that didn't matter as the restaurant happily bagged them for us to take away.

The other positives were the ambience and service. This is not a Chinatown or typical HK restaurant where you are crammed in and snarled at. Instead you luxuriate in widely spaced tables and are served by polite, helpful and attentive waiters who worked hard to deserve their tip.

Altogether a great experience which brought back all the happy memories and none of the bad ones.

Seattle, Washington
“Best for Dim Sum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my favorite place for Dim Sum in Vancouver. It is a large place that is very busy which is actually what you want as there is a large freshly cooked selection of dishes.

For those visiting Vancouver this is a must visit.

Visited March 2013