“Not what it used to be...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Akbar's Own Dining Lounge

Akbar's Own Dining Lounge
1905 Broadway W, Vancouver, British Columbia V6J 1Z3, Canada (Kitsilano)
604.736.8180
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Vancouver
“Not what it used to be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have been going to Akbar's for many years and recently visited. When I called to make a reservation, I was told that no reservations were accepted, however, when I arrived, I was asked if I had made a reservation! I was not the only person who experienced this service, as I overheard several other people make the same comment.

Service with Sandy and Song used to be outstanding and with them gone, Akbar's does not have the same friendly atmosphere. The food was fine, but the recipes have changed from the previous owners, which I much preferred.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“Great Indian food, west broadway's greatest secret”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

When city's always ask which restaurant has the greatest food... there is always a top 5 selection. Often these selections may be what's the trendiest restaurant, or which has lineup or is the best value... well Akbars is the tastiest, and is one of those secrets that only locals know about... and don't want to share lest it get overrun and people have to wait to get a table. The food here is always consistent: great butter chicken, lamb biryani, eggplant bharta, and an excellent razmali dessert... I've tried many dishes on the menu and have never been disappointed. Full of flavour, nicely seasoned, try it for yourself, just please don't recommend it too heavily... keep it a secret for locals to enjoy!

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Great return to Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

It had been over a year since I'd gone out to eat for Indian cuisine and my friend and I were not disappointed. We opted for mild-medium heat, as I was unsure on the strength of their spices. Often I request extra spice, but the flavours and preparation of the sauces was so delicious, I didn't miss the extra heat. I got to try a few dishes I haven't tried before and they were wonderful. I'd definitely return.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“Good Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Arrived without a reservation and was seated without any delay. The restaurant was not full on a Saturday night. Had the Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken with a side order of rice and naan. Overall the dinner was very good. The portions are not huge but it is enough for 2 people and is reasonably priced. The decor of the restaurant is very nice.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Delicious food - cozy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Akbar's Own was walking distance form our B&B and was recommended by its owner. We loved it so much we came twice during our 6 night stay. My wife had the Vegetable Korma and I had the Chicken Tikka and Butter Chicken and we had the vegetable and chicken Pakora. The atmosphere was cozy and the service was attentive. When we return to Vancouver, we'll be sure to go to Akbar's Own for another meal.

• Visited September 2011