“Pricey place - popular with folks who stretch the term"business casual".” 4 of 5 stars
Review of West Restaurant + Bar

West Restaurant + Bar
2881 Granville St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3J4, Canada (Fairview)
604-738-8938
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
West Restaurant + Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 2,780 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood, Dessert, Contemporary
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Fairview
Cross street: 13th St.
Smithers, B.C.
“Pricey place - popular with folks who stretch the term"business casual".”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This is regarded as one of Vancouver's premier restaurants. The food I ordered was excellent. Personally, I don't like having a couple of waiters hovering about, telling one what one is eating. I already read it on the menu and would prefer to be left to enjoy it the dishes in peace, but I guess that comes with the high prices. A note to the price-concious: they offer a reasonably priced "pre-theatre" three course menu if one orders before 6PM. A note on "dress code": when I reserved I noted that dress was "business casual" so I and one of my friends donned jackets and slacks. It was busy when we ate and, while no one actually wore a muscle shirt and cutoff jeans, the trendy crowd wore just about everything else but jackets and slacks. So don't worry about dress code.

Visited June 2013

Vancouver
“Two visits. Failed to impress.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We recently dined twice at West. The first time we were with another couple, the second time with our two adult children. The restaurant is very nice and on both occasions the service was impeccable, probably the best we have experienced in a Vancouver restaurant. But on both visits, the food was not up to par. The various dishes ranged from excellent to poor, and only a couple of appetizers really had the wow factor one would expect from a restaurant this highly rated and this expensive. On the first visit we shared the whole fish for two, which was served en papillote and tasted like unseasoned steamed fish. There was barely enough meat on the fish to feed one person, let alone two. Our friends fared little better with poorly prepared salmon, but a decent chicken dish. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my lobster gnocchi appetizer. On the posative side, when we complained about the three entres they were immediately taken off the bill.

On the second visit, my fois gras appetizer was superb but my rack of lamb was very good, but was nothing special. My daughter's mushroom tortellini was terribly under cooked and had to be sent back. The properly cooked dish was quite good. My wife was not so impressed with the prawn risotto. This time we tried dessert, the chocolate tasting which I can only describe as awful.

This is a restaurant I really wanted to enjoy but at $450 for four with very few drinks we will not be returning.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sidney, Canada
“STILL OUR FAVOURITE VANCOUVER RESTAURANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

A lunch time post wedding celebration and birthday with family was made even more special by the great service. A wonderful light Italian champagne was suggested by our waiter, a silver vase appeared to hold the nosegay of flowers for the guest, timely presentation of courses, happy birthday wishes written in icing on the desert plate and we were out the door at exactly the time that we had requested. It's the attention to these little details that makes THIS place a cut above. The food,of coursel, was also over the top... delicious.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious food, great service, a fine dining treat if a bit loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

This is one Vancouver's finest dining restaurants.
The service was impeccable!
The food fantastic!
Wine selection is great, but be sure to ask if its their last bottle if you're planning on more than one ;)
Take your time, enjoy multiple courses, if you're spending the money for truly fine dining do it right. Expect to pay $150-200 per person with wine for sure. It's worth it :)
No valet, but there is a drop off zone right out front and just behind the CIBC kitty corner to the Restaraunt is a pay lot $7.50 for the night.

It's marble floors and hard ceiling so a bit loud, nicest to sit up front by the window.

Enjoy, we did!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kirkland, Washington
“Best duck ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The service was great, the wine was great, our food was great, but the duck was the best duck ever. And I appreciated the efforts they made for my gluten intolerance. They did a good job!

Visited April 2013