“Pricey for lunch, good for dinner, good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant

The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant
1535 Johnston Street (Granville Island), Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 3R9, Canada (Fairview)
604.669.9030
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 2,788 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Fairview
Description: The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant is located in Granville Island beside the Public Market. Their unique patio is under the Granville Street Bridge, overlooking False Creek. Enjoy sushi from Chef Hoshi’s Sushi Bar, open all week from 5:30pm onwards. From Thursday to Sunday, the Teredo Lounge transforms into a trendy piano bar. Featuring a variety of local brew, the Sandbar is an exciting place to listen to live music, enjoy fresh tapas and meet great people.
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Pricey for lunch, good for dinner, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We came here for lunch on our first day and ate appetizers. They were excellent and there was plenty to eat, but we thought the full meals were too expensive for a lunch. The menu wasn't very different for dinner, so the prices were about right. There was a nice atmosphere, live music (which wasn't too loud) in the evening and friendly, helpful staff. Since we came here twice, we obviously thought the food was worth it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

77% Recommend
Galway, Ireland
“Impressive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We came here with friends who are locals, and having a prawn allergy I have to be extremely careful in seafood restaurants. The customer service here was so impressive, the waitress came back to me 2 or 3 times to clarify my allergy/my order and to make sure that I was good to go with my lunch. Anyone who suffers from a food allergy will appreciate this attention to detail. I had the crab dip and it was amazing. The bar itself is impressive (the view of Granville Island and the boat hoisted on the ceiling being two immediate features) but it's also cosy, does some great craft beers and the food is great. Would definitely recommend to anyone going to Vancouver.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Average food but great location and view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This place is probably worth going simply cuz of the view and location that it is at. Granville Island is beautiful and at night, it's probably worth taking a stroll along the island coast to admire the night lights.

Visited December 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great bridge and water views, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I, and 3 coworkers, went to the Sandbar on a pretty busy Tuesday night. We arrived early and after waiting for a bit the hostess offered to move us to the bar and start our night there with some drinks or appetizers while our table became available. It was a great start, allowing us to grab some drinks which arrived just as our table became available. The staff moved our drinks to our new table seamlessly, without hassle.

We sat upstairs in a beautiful corner area just indoors of the covered patio, with views of the water and bridge. As we ate we watched the Christmas carol dinner boats ply the waterways, and various tugs move this way and that.

For dinner I had the prawns with rice and siracha and they were quite good. My peers had various fish off their fresh fish menu and raved about the quality of the fish and the portions. We also shared the appetizer sampler which had spring rolls, squid, potstickers, etc and was a large quantity of appetizers and a perfect table item to share. For dessert we had the sorbet (3 types!), the crème broulette (quite good), and a cake of some sort which was very good also according to the one who ate it.

A good place I'd return to for sure, high class and great service.

Madrid, Spain
“Jolly evening with family and friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This restaurant is on an island, now joined to the city, but the whole area is a fun place to visit, with market place, shops and several restaurants. The Sandbar was jumping when we arrived.
There is a open kitchen where one can observe the chefs operating, I watched with great fascination.

The service was efficient, friendly, pleasant, the waiter was knowledgeable.
We were a party of seven, we all ordered different seafood. The salmon was perfect, the char was well seared, but the heart was not overlooked, which my sister loved. My shrimp were firm and crunchy, I only wish more restaurants would remove the shell at the tail, as in Chinese cuisine. I do not see the point of leaving the last bit of shell on the shrimp. For more colour presentation, I would not serve rice, with colour less squash . The cost of $27 and up for the entree would and could enable the restaurant to give 2 vegetables, instead of only one: snow peas and roasted red peppers would be preferable, for colour and taste, and texture.
The fried oysters for antipasti was well done, delicious. Oysters in shells were $3,00 to $3.30 each. The antipasti started at $15. The desserts were from $9 to $11.

There is live music as of nine p.m., just as we were leaving. The restaurant was not so noisy that we had to shout to be heard, because of the very tall ceiling. I love the large tall building with big beams. I think it was some kind of warehouse that had been converted to eating place. There are several levels to the place. I would certainly return, on my next family visit to Vancouver.