“RIP OFF... DIRTY SALTY FOOD” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Szechuan Chongqing Seafood

Szechuan Chongqing Seafood
88 West Pender Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
(604) 734-1668
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,918 of 2,763 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Dim Sum
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Bellingham
“RIP OFF... DIRTY SALTY FOOD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went to this restaurant last night. We enjoy Chinese food and have been to many, many such restaurants. Firstly the restaurant was 80% empty when we arrived at 6:45 pm but they asked if we had a reservation? I said we don't. She said we had to come back at 8 pm. We waited till 8 and they did not seat us till 8:30 pm. The airconditioner blew cold air right over our head and the NOISY restaurant forced everyone to speak loudly to the person next to him/her. Then came an unacceptably prepared not good tasting food: little substance, too much onions, not clean and way too salty. Even their tea had no taste. The small bowl of Hot & Sour soup at $7 had ONE SINGLE shrimp inside and no more. The $17 plate of shrimps we ordered had 8 pieces of shrimp and some veggie which was visibly not properly cleaned (end pieces were black, there was a yellow colored leaf of some weed inside the green veggies). My partner had asked if any of the Beef plates came with veggies (I went to wash hands). The manager told her they didn't but he could make a plate for us. The plate of beef had a small quantity of thinly sliced beef, small quantity of one type of leafy veggies and we were billed $19.95 for that "special food". The total bill came to $64 including $4.90 for two teas (free in most Chinese restaurants), $3.95 for a small one person bowl of rice and then their own determination of how much tip should be. Many better places to go and this mistake will not be repeated.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“I can add my own tip..thanks..and again.."NO Onions please|!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Visited Wednesday August 1st about 5:30 pm.Decent food,So-So service..uninformed about added tip?? Asked the waiter to please make sure no onions were in our dishes {Two of us} as I am allergic..Lemon chicken was fine,Chicken with black bean sauce was decent..Orange peel beef contained lots of visable onions..showed waiter the onions,he apologised saying he told the kitchen no onions. 15 minutes later..beef comes out..looking devoid ov everything but beef..onions were underneath..plenty of them. Asked to see our waiter on the patio..he came 10 minutes later. Asked him..are these not onions?? He said..oh..I didn't realise you meant green onions too..I was choking a bit..asked if I was okay..said hopefully, as onions give me hives..but not garlic. Said he would bring me a soft drink...never arrived..then he brought the bill and told me to " Eat around the onions"..I was in disbelief.Water girl on the posive side..big smile..very polite..or 1 star here. Gave him a groupon we bought..bill came back..there was a barely noticeable SS Tax...{Surpise} tax??..added to our bill on the full total, lol. 15% had been added on..and I was about too add another 15%..what a joke..Is this Chongqing on Broadway owning dishonest business..or shady practices now??? Used to be great..long time ago...Things have changed.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

This is my husband's favorite place to eat in Vancouver. My first time here for lunch last weekend. The service was pretty good and the food was so flavorful. The restaurant was very busy and we were a large party so our service wasn't perfect and the restrooms were a bit small and yucky which surprised me considering how busy this restaurant is! I would go back for the food.

Visited February 2012
Burlington, Vermont
“Excellent and affordable dim sum, good selections, very good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I've gone to Szechuan Chonquing on Broadway for years, it's a real favorite of my family's and though I haven't lived in Vancouver for ten years every single visit home i go there. The staff is very good, quite funny and warm, and accommodate all sorts of crowds (families, large groups, couples, etc). The deep fried "triangles" filled with shrimp are my favorite but they do all the dim sum mainstays very well (e.g. shrimp dumplings, pork buns, bean curd rolls, etc). Excellent value.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Good Quality Chinese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Yet another Asian restaurant on Broadway but one worth coming back to. They have room for a larger group in the back so were able to accommodate our large group quite easily. There was a wide selection of food choices and no one in our group was disappointed with the food quality.

Visited June 2011