“Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

(604) 685-7337
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Davie Street
Tucson, Arizona
1,052 helpful votes 1,052 helpful votes
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Some recent reviewers have cited bad experiences at this restaurant, but I came away quite satisfied today after a late lunch. I was warmly greeted at the door and told to take whatever table I wanted. Within a minute of sitting down, I was given a menu and asked what I would like to drink. I ordered lemonade and it proved to be the most sour concoction I had ever tasted. So I requested a sweetener and received several types immediately. A couple of doses of raw sugar ensured that my drink became quite refreshing.

The menu had a variety of offerings, from spring pea soup to country pate and pickles for starters and salmon and charred roots to flatiron steak and French fries for main courses. I opted for a starter of beet root and goat cheese salad. It arrived quickly and was beautifully presented in an array of colors. Ingredients included pickled North Arm Farm beets, hazelnuts, goat cheese cannelloni, watercress and shaved radish. It was a good-sized portion (not huge but certainly not minuscule) and the various flavors and textures worked well together. Within a couple of minutes, the server returned to ensure that everything was all right.

I sat at the window and enjoyed looking out at passersby and English Bay. The interior decor was pleasant and the background music at a moderate enough level to be enjoyable.

It has been a couple of years since I have eaten dinner at this restaurant so I cannot comment on what to currently expect in the evening. In the past, I had very good dinners and service. But I can certainly recommend lunch, based on my experience today.

Visited July 2014

Vancouver
“A study in indifference”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We are neighbourhood locals who have loyally supported this restaurant over the years: its concept of locally-sourced ingredients, its contribution to the neighbourhood, and its overall fine quality. But we will not back after tonight's fiasco.

We attempted to have dinner with out-of-town guests. After one hour, our starters had not arrived. After checking with the kitchen, our server advised us that the kitchen had forgotten our order. There was no offer to expedite our order and no real indication that anyone on staff was particularly concerned by the situation. Many neighbouring tables appeared to be experiencing similar fates, although there was a lucky table who had arrived 20 minutes after us and who received their starters 10 minutes before we received our server's update. Based on the level of staff indifference, we paid for our drinks and left.

From the latest reviews on this site, it would seem that our experience was sadly not unique. One wonders if there is a systemic problem with this restaurant. None of the staff appeared to be happy, and no one appeared to be in charge. The servers were constantly on their feet and moving, but seemingly to no end. We would love to see this restaurant return to its previous level of excellence, but clearly some serious changes need to be made. An overwhelming disappointment.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“Fish and Chips Take Out Window - Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I just finished eating half of my 2 piece beer battered fish and chips meal and I had to write a review. It was so good! Not overly greasy, so well seasoned that I almost forgot to use the tartar sauce. The halibut was thick, flakey and very flavourful. And as a bonus, the tax is included in the price, you don't have to tip (unless you want to) and you don't have to wait more than 10 minutes from ordering to being handed your takeout bag!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Horrible and waited long time between each course!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

It was my birthday and decided to try Raincity Grill's 7 course tasting dinner. While I recognize tasting portions are supposed to be small. It was unbelievable how small each course was!! As mentioned by other reviews, the service was incredibly slow. Almost 4 hours!! We arrived a little after 5:30pm and we didn't leave until 9:30pm. The last course the dessert was the kicker. It was supposed to be a baked meringue but it was all broken up and looked like a pile of mess. I could not believe they even served it especially for a fine dining restaurant. I will definitely not recommend it for the price.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Food; tired restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Took in Raincity's 7 course dinner the other night...delightful with appropriately sized portions. Fabulous tastes. However, the service was incredibly slow (3 hours and 15 minutes)...not the waitresses fault...the kitchen was slow in preparation. Secondly, the restaurant needs a face lift particularly the washrooms which look like they belonged in the 60's...take your pick which century.

Would I go back...probably but it will be awhile for there are many as good restaurants in Vancouver that are "on their game". Raincity was not.

• Visited June 2014