“Ok mexican food, good entertainment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Poncho's Mexican Restaurant

Poncho's Mexican Restaurant
827 Denman St, Vancouver, British Columbia V6G 2L7, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-683-7236
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Seattle
“Ok mexican food, good entertainment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

FIrst off I normally would not recommend Vancouver BC for mexican food but being that it was Cinco de Mayo and the restaurant was 2 blocks from our hotel we decided to give it a try. This is a fine place but the food was just ok. Kind of bland and lackluster. They had a great singer who provided entertainment for our 2 year old. He was a lot of fun. I wouldn't say stay away but like I said nothing special.

Visited May 2013

Irving, Texas
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Being from Texas I know my way around Mexican food. This little spot in the West End of Vancouver made me feel like I was back in Dallas. The chips and salsa were spot on and the margaritas to start were tasty and packed a punch. I started with some prawns that were sauteed in garlic and spices, cooked to perfection and the portion was just the right size! Next I tried the beef alambres, a spicy beef skirt diced and sizzled up with cheese and bell pepper. The beef was so tender and juicy and the spices were not overwhelming. I wish I had room for dessert, from what I saw the presentation looked amazing as was the flaming coffee. The service was a little slow but the servers themselves were genuine and warm, everything a Mexican restaurant should be. When I go back to Vancouver I will make sure to say hi to Kaeta the owner and enjoy those amazing margaritas!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Poncho's Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Good food and ambience. Came here while we stayed at Robson's street. We missed out on the live singing as we came during his last performance. Overall, was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Poncho's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited Poncho's while staying on Robson Street. It was recommended to us by the hotel staff.
We were very pleased. Tasty authentic Mexican food, and great service. Very reasonable prices too. I had the prawn fajitas, they were very nice. The only complaint was one of the meals came with far too much salad!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Ponchos is good homemade Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Kaeta is the owner and operator and she is always there to make sure it's good. I have been going here ever since it was the only option for Mexican in the West End. Now we have more options, but mostly chain places or small counter service places. If you like the food in Mexico you will like Poncho's, Everything is made in-house. I think I've had everything on the menu over the years and the standout favourites are: Chicken Chimichanga (not deep-fried here like at Tex Mex places - it's significantly better than a deep fried version), Enchiladas Verde with the sweet and medium spicy Tomatillo sauce, and I love the Chili Rellenos. Ever since I was a kid growing up in California I have loved a good Chili Rellenos and this is one of the best. a difficult dish to prepare the way they do. On a rainy Vancouver day a good authentic Mexican meal and some live music (and maybe a Margarita) will warm you up. Churros here are great for dessert too. They are made in-house and served with ice cream. I find the ice cream is not the best but it compliments the delicious Churros. I always want to get them to go and have them with some Hagen Dasz at home. For $60 we had (free) chips and salsa, one appie, 2 Dos Equis beer, 2 main courses and dessert. Not bad at all. It feels like a night out too because of the live music on the weekends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere