“Love This Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Osaka Tappanyaki Steak House

Osaka Tappanyaki Steak House
1788 Broadway W # 103, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Fairview)
(604) 733-8258
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love This Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Year after year we enjoy the Osaka experience.
Last time, though, our chef kept asking my husband to refill his ( the chef's) sake glass!
We had offered him a glass to be cordial but he kept on asking! Just putting the cup over beside our carafe.
Found out later that he is one of two owners!!!!!
Shocking and classless.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Don't go there to get insulted by the chef and ripped off if you are not that hungry and wish to split a meal!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have never been insulted by a service provider such as this, and we are not new to dining out. We went there as a family of 4, one being a child. As we had driven by there numerous times but never knew what was inside, we decided to dine there tonight. Two of us had already eaten an hour before, but the other two were hungry for dinner. So we went into this place and got seated. After looking at the menu, we realized that each set meal was $14+ to upwards of $65+. If you were not hungry and thus wanted to split a meal, you paid an extra $7 each. Knowing this, since the two of us weren't hungry, we decided to order 2 filet mignon meals, and split them. We paid an additional $14 so that the two out of four of us could sit there with our family.
Then the chef came along. While he was cooking, he set out to act as a cheap car salesman and told us, repeatedly, that the next time we came we should order 3 or 4 meals, instead of 2. I would have let it go if he only insulted us once, but after he mentioned it the 4th time, I pretty much said, " look, if we were hungry, we would order 4 meals, perhaps even 5 meals if we were hungry enough, but 2 of us are not hungry."
From that comment on, the chef resolved to serve me last throughout the course of our meal, even though I would have been the 3rd person in line to be served out of us 4. This experience ruined my appetite before my main course even came, not that I had much of one to begin with. At the end of our meal, I had to ask the server for a to-go box to box up my untouched dinner myself, for fear of the chef spitting in my meal out of spite. Needless to say, we will never go back to this horrendous establishment.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Osaka Teppanyaki = fast food at 5 star prices!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Japanese Teppanyaki supposed to be an elegant performance by the chef at the table. A traditional teppanyaki dinner typically lasts for over 2 hrs. The diners would be watching how your dedicated chef performed the cooking right in front of you, dish by dish, individually prepared and served assuring that you could taste the difference of various entrees.

Osaka, on the other hand, rushes through the whole meal in less than 15 minutes. Worst, they lumped all the entrees together on the same plate with the same sauce. What we ended up with were plates of chop suey at outrageous prices!

We had ordered the most expensive item on the menu at C$60 per head supposedly include lobsters, tiger prawns, sirloin steaks, salmon and grilled vegetables. The first item served by the chef was fried rice, a carbo item normally reserved at the end of the meal if the diner is still hungry. We found that odd. What followed was speed cooking at its best with sauces and food ingredients spilled all over the grill. In genuine Teppanyaki cooking, food ingredients are handled if they were delicate art objects and the chef would never made a mess with the food during his performance. It's all conducted in style with a flair! What Osaka serve is just faked Teppanyaki cuisine and no diners with any expectation would return after the first visit. It's a shame that this outfit can last so long and still be around to rip off the unawared! Don't even get near this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Favourite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place is a gem. We live a couple blocks away and eat there as often as we can. Great bang for your buck for Teppanyaki, and the chefs put on an amazing show!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Kids love it!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We went on a Friday evening so it's quite busy - reservation helped. kids loved the fire show and the onion tower. food was great but a bit salty for me.

Visited August 2012