“No high chairs!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Earls

Earls
1601 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Fairview)
604-736-5663
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,570 of 2,763 Restaurants in Vancouver
Neighborhood: Fairview
Neighborhood: Fairview
“No high chairs!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday evening dinner with the kids. Our youngest is under 2, active, but very well mannered in a high chair.
We waited in the lobby for a table for 15 minutes, but didn't get menus. When seated, we discovered the only option for the toddler was a booster seat with no straps, he just didn't understand why he had to sit down on a plastic block, and started crying. It didn't help that we only now had gotten menus, with no quick bread basket etc for the kids, as is common elsewhere.
The lady at the next booth made really nasty comments and we got up to leave, but a friendly waitress asked us to try another booth, and got our food quickly. The toddler had to be left in his stroller for the meal, and was happy and quiet.
Food was good. Alcohol too expensive, 40 bucks average for bottle of wine, over twice the cost of most entrees (main course, North American restaurants want to sound posh/French, but got the meaning wrong!).
Food and service good. The waitress' all wear slutty dresses, which is common here, and I still find a bit weird.
You have the option of tv-free very comfortable booths, or high benches on the other side with lots of screens.
Overall I guess it would be a fun place to go with older kids, but definitely not if you've highchair aged toddlers!

“Good dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My hubby and I grabbed a quick bite at this Earls. We shared a Prawn Pesto Pizza and salad, Very good meal. The service was excellant and the house red wine was enjoyable. For a casual meal the food is reasonably priced. The coffee and pumpkin pie was also tasty.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Good service and mediocre food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The serving staff was on the ball and efficient. The food was expensive, $15.00 + for a cheeseburger that was mediocre at best and French fries that were tasteless and greasy. My wife's fish tacos were overdone and chewy. It is pretentious and over priced, a wanna be upscale restaurant that has a long way to go

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Westminster, Canada
“Game night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Great place to go and catch the hockey game and have a nice dinner. Food was good, service was very good and if your sitting in the lounge lots of TV's to catch your favourite team.

Edmonton, Canada
“Horrifying Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have probably been to at least 6 different Earls restaurants around western Canada. It's never a truly memorable experience, but typically you can count on reliability and an effort to keep customers happy, in lieu of really excellent food or service. In those respects, this Earls really dropped the ball, though I can say that at least this time it WAS memorable.

I was there with my family in mid-afternoon on New Year's. When our entrees arrived, my wife discovered that her roast chicken had two pieces of broken glass in it! Fortunately, she encountered them while they were in her mouth, and she did not swallow them, which would have been disastrous, almost certainly requiring hospitalization. We called over our server, who took it back to the kitchen and offered any other entree in its place. Later, the hostess came to apologize, and said my wife's meal would be free.

This may sound like a reasonable response, but I believe the appropriate move would have been to comp the entire bill, since having that happen ruined any chance of anyone at the table enjoying their meals. Those of us with meat in our dishes were carefully chewing everything with great trepidation to make sure that we did not swallow any dangerous foreign objects, and having to do so while my badly shaken wife sat there with no food. By the time it arrived, she was in no mood to eat, and just wanted to leave.

Previously, at another Earls, when my wife's order was mishandled, the restaurant waived the entire bill--for an incident that was far less troubling than finding glass in your food. My wife pointed this out to the hostess after we had paid our $150 bill, and she agreed that it would have been good to do this, but made no move to void the charge. To me, this displays a basic lack of understanding of the negative impact of having customers leave your establishment dissatisfied. In our case, we will certainly avoid eating at ANY Earl's in the future, will share this experience with our friends, and post accounts of our experience on all of the standard sites...all because they were apparently too cheap to engage in some very basic damage control in the aftermath of a VERY serious incident.

To be clear: I do not think that the glass made its way into the chicken in the Earls kitchen. Rather, I think it was in the chicken when they obtained it from their supplier. But I have to wonder whether this could easily happen again, and the next time it might not end as well. Given the relatively low level of concern displayed by the staff, I don't know how seriously they are treating this incident and ensuring that there is no repeat of it.

• Visited January 2013