“great non-seafood options” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar

Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar
1095 Hamilton St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 5T4, Canada (Downtown)
+1 604-688-8078
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 2,846 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Helmcken St.
Winnipeg
“great non-seafood options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I'm not at all fond of seafood, and I was worried that during our week in Vancouver I'd be hard-pressed to find "turf" options that I would consistently enjoy, but I was wrong. Though seafood is clearly the focus at places like Blue Water Cafe & Raw Bar, they do not give short shrift to the non-fishy foods. The pork cheeks and free range chicken were deliciously prepared. My husband does not share my limitations and had the crab salad and sable fish, which he loved. Also, being on vacation, we were probably dressed a little too casually, but were never made to feel unwelcome. Our waiter, clearly very experienced and loving his job (a rarity, these days), was friendly and helpful, and made excellent wine recommendations. (Sorry I didn't catch his name.) My only regret was that I had eaten a full lunch that day, and so was entirely too full to enjoy dessert at all. I wish I had planned ahead better!

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Very Nice Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We dined here for the first time the other night. I'm not sure why we've never been here before but we finally seized the opportunity and went. The restaurant is a mix of decor but it all comes off as quite cozy despite being a fairly good size. We all enjoyed our meals very much. I had a dungeness crab salad and the scallops and to finish enjoyed a pomegranate cheesecake. The portions were not huge but I still felt really full. My only complaint really was the service which felt was too slow for a restaurant of this caliber. There were unreasonably big gaps between appetizers, dinner and dessert so we were there for a good 3.5 hours which is a bit on the long side.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Consistently excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Great small, cozy room; consistently good food & drinks - one of my favorite Vancouver restaurants! We go for special occasions and love each time.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
vancouver
“Fantastic,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Possibly Vancouver's best restaurant. I have eaten here 3 times in the last month. Small group, large group, and couple. Every time they met our expectations. Service was smooth, seamless, food was hot, on time, no rush, and delicious. They allow you to bring wine, corkage is reasonable. They have an excellent wine list. Frank Pabst is an amazing chef. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“small portions, but yummy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

For the price, I shouldn't leave still hungry. Everything was tasty but I felt like I couldn't keep ordering until I was full due to the cost. Service was good.

• Visited September 2013