“Fine food and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro Pastis

Bistro Pastis
2153 W. 4th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Kitsilano)
604-731-5020
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Pastis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #250 of 2,781 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French, American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
vancouver
“Fine food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Lived in Vancouver 20 years but first time we tried this place. If you like real French food offered with genuinely friendly service try it! We had an excellent meal here .

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Lovely Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

What a nice restaurant! I have been there for brunch several times and it has always been good.
There are some lovely dishes with confit of duck salad being one of my favourite. There are several eggs Benedict which yummy, particularly the duck potato cake one. The room is a nice size and there is a decent enough space between each table that you don't feel you should chat the the people next to you - unless you want to of course!

The wine list is good and there are several wines by the glass which are very nice. Try one of the kir Royales before you eat!

The noise level is good. You can actually hear what everyone is saying.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“disappointing, slow service, forgettable food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

It pains me to say it as I have eaten here several times before (and generally had good, occasionally even excellent food), but my most recent experience disappointed.

The service was slow - we waited an hour and 10 minutes for our main course..... and I thought we were fortunate as the table next to us arrived some time before us and got theirs 15 minutes after us ! All the time, the wine glasses all kept getting topped up and I wondered whether that was to keep us compliant or just to get us to drink more.....maybe both.

The main courses were OK - nothing spectacular.....actually quite disappointing for pastis. I had risotto with a 2 or 3 small mouthfulls of lobster cost $34. I thought it was expensive for what we had, and I for one will have to think abit harder next time I contemplate eating at pastis.

Visited September 2013
London, UK
“Just short of perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Unlike many French restaurants which tend to sit on their laurels and let dust gather on the foie gras, Bistro Pastis regularly changes its menu and does something different. We both chose the special 'tomato menu', which was a $48 menu highlighting the versatility of the humble tomato. Our starters of tomato & feta salad and tomato tartar & sockeye salmon were well balanced and fresh-tasting. Tomato and herb crusted ling cod on Israeli couscous with red pepper sauce continued the freshness and the fish was perfectly cooked. Tomato braised oxtail was judged excellent. Tomato and vanilla confit with mint and strawberry and balsamic ice cream again worked well with nothing jarring in the combination. My tomato tart tatin with basil cream could have been excellent but the cherry tomatoes were burnt rather than caramelised. Overall, an extremely good meal which just fell short of perfection.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Always reliable, always good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

There are few places in Vancouver that have a menu as complete and satisfying as Bistro Pastis. I have been dining here for years and have never had a poor experience.

The food is always excellent. Personal favourites include the calf liver, seared scallops with sweet corn risotto, and the endive, walnut and roquefort salad. I also enjoy the vegetarian plate in winter months.

The room is cozy and the owner takes great pride in his food and service. There are reasonable wines by the glass - the Côtes du Rhône is one I consistently enjoy. The kir royales are nicely priced.

Vancouver has a lot of great restaurants but over the years Bistro Pastis has remained my comfortable favourite. It always meets expectations.

• Visited July 2013