“Not Your Mother's Apple Pie - Much Better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beyond Restaurant + Lounge - CLOSED

Beyond Restaurant + Lounge
1015 Burrard St. | Century-Plaza Hotel & Spa, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Downtown)
(604)684-3474
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Tapas, Continental
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
West Vancouver BC
“Not Your Mother's Apple Pie - Much Better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

There are so many flashy, enticing restaurants in downtown Vancouver that shout out for your attention that it is easy overlook the well named “Beyond Restaurant”, that is tucked in behind the lobby of the Century Plaza Hotel on Burrard St. I have eaten there three or four times and each time I’ve been greatly impressed by how the chef manages to turn familiar menu items into something unusual and magnificent.

Last night my companions and I all ordered the salmon. If it was not the most beautiful and delicious salmon dish I have had, I can’t remember when I had better. It was crisp on the outside and succulent on the inside, perched on a bed of spinach and surrounded by a wonderful sauce.

For desert, I ordered apple pie, expecting the usual “as American as…” wedge. Instead, what arrived was an artistic ensemble of flakey crust, beautifully baked apple “steaks”, sauce and other components. See for yourself. Prices were reasonable – excellent value. I had to ask for the name of the chef. I was told that it is George Koay.

Will I eat there again? I can’t wait.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

skookumchuck
“$20 voucher”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I decided to use the voucher I received upon check -in (and it was pouring rain) and I was impressed with the service and food.
Great if you have just checked in and not up to exploring just yet.
Nice atmosphere, quiet, and seemed reasonable to me.

Visited December 2012
Whitecourt, Canada
“Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Excellent food and beverage, a bit on the expensive side. The wait staff was very attentive and the layout allows for a quiet dinner if you want that. I was alone for dinner and was made to feel very welcome.

Visited November 2012
Drumheller, Canada
“Beyond Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had great food and service at this restaurant. I liked the convenience and food. I found it a bit pricey for an afternoon snack but the food was worth it..

Visited November 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had dinner here since we were staying in the hotel and they gave us a coupon for dinner in the restaurant.

The server was polite but not friendly. Relatively efficient, refilled water glasses etc. with good regularity but she could have made more money if she'd asked us if we wanted another drink - but since she didn't, we didn't order one.

Had the salmon - was overcooked but a generous portion though the accompanying vegetable and polenta were pretty skimpy. And not very hot.

Overall, it was okay. Nothing special.

• Visited November 2012