“My favourite restaurant... I dream of the roti canai at night!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Vancouver
“My favourite restaurant... I dream of the roti canai at night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Banana Leaf is a chain and I have eaten at 3 of the 4 locations but I eat at the Broadway location the most and I find it is the best compared to the other ones. It is one of my favourite places to go in Vancouver and I have been eating there since I moved to the city nearly 10 years ago. Best malaysian restaurant in the city! I have tried the others but I always return to Banana Leaf. The service at the Broadway is consistently amazing and so is the food.

Everytime I go to Banana Leaf I have to order the roti canai, that sauce is the best! The pineapple fried rice is always fun for first timers too, as they serve it in a pineapple. Everything I have tried on the menu so far has been tasty!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, BC
“Always Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I haven't been here in 2 years and it was still amazing and delicious and everything that I dream about! My husband lived in Malaysia for 5 years and said this food is the closest he's ever found to that real flavor.

Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“I can only taste the peanuts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I met my friend for a birthday lunch yesterday. Looked forward to enjoying a similar taste sensation as my last visit. But, unfortunately that was not to occur. I ordered the chicken satay - always yummy. This time I think the chef forgot to season the meal. All I could taste was peanuts. The dish lacked spice and zing. No heat, no memorable flavours danced in my mouth. The dish was presented well and our waitress was pleasant as was the host at the door. Unfortunately, I just did not enjoy the food as I have in the past. My friend however, enjoyed her mussels very much. I was surprised though, that we were charged an extra dollar for one extra piece of bread for dipping in the mussel sauce. We were offered no drinks except water. I don't recall if we were asked if we enjoyed our meal, but I'm sure if we had, I would have mentioned my disappointment. Not sure if I will return, but if I do I hope it's a more pleasant experience, especially for a restaurant that has received such good reviews in the past.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Courtenay, Canada
“A mouth watering meal to remember!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am an occasional visitor to Vancouver, and while I haven't frequented many of the renowned eateries there, I have lucked upon one so savory and satisfying, it may be my only dining choice in the city from now on! What can I say about Banana Leaf? I love the food - every morsel of it. On my most recent visit, my friend and I ordered the appetizer assortment for two - great when you can't decide! He had the melt in your mouth lamb shank and I had the chili prawns, both so flavorful, so beautifully presented. Finished the meal off with a coconut gelato that was the perfect ending to a perfect evening. The prices for this food are so reasonable. It's obviously a well known dining destination, so reservations are really a good idea. The only thing missing from Banana Leaf is a bigger lobby for those hungry patrons waiting for a table!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It was unique, but a one hit wonder.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I'm Thai and never had Malaysian food so the food was somewhat familiar yet different. It was a nice eating experience, but not necessarily a place I would go to again.

Visited April 2013