“Average steak, great service” 3 of 5 stars

615 Seymour St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3K3, Canada
(604) 605-8282
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gotham Steakhouse & Cocktail Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,971 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dunsmuir St.
Transit: Granville Sky Train Station is right around the corner on Dunsmuir St., just steps from Gotham's front door.
Description: An American style steakhouse and cocktail bar featuring tender steaks and stiff drinks. Gotham features soaring ceilings, sumptuous leather and velvet upholstery, private dining rooms, an award-winning wine list and exceptional service.
New York City, New York
“Average steak, great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant came highly recommended from the Fairmont. Being the carnivorous New Yorkers that we are, we couldn't resist trying a local steakhouse during our recent visit to Vancouver.

The ambiance was classic and charming. Jon, our server, was incredibly hospitable and hilarious! He offered some great stories along with solid recommendations for our meal. Exactly what we appreciate in a good steakhouse.

To start we had the incredibly fresh and delicious shrimp cocktail with horseradish cocktail sauce (yum) and the ahi tuna - both amazing. The cheesy toast with four different cheese was out of this world and not on the menu, so be sure to ask for it! We opted for the 2009 Chateau Meyney Saint Estephe, a great bottle that continued to improve with each taste. For our main course we shared the large portion of the bone-in-ribeye. This steak was supposedly the talk of the town. We were so excited to sink our teeth into its juicy flavorful flesh. Sadly, the steak was served cold, no sizzle and definitely did not live up to the top 2% grade hype. Normally I would send such a disappointing piece of meat back to the kitchen. However, Jon was so friendly and funny that I actually didn't want to hurst his feelings. Thinking back now, that was pretty stupid. So, I improvised and ate the steak with the cheesy toast. Mmm mmm good. That cheesy toast can do wonders with any dish.

Overall, had a nice time. Disappointed that this is one of the best steakhouses. Then again, we're from NYC so we are probably spoiled.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Rich & Classic Feel, Rich & Classic Taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I took my boyfriend to Gotham on our monthly fancy dinner date, and wow were we impressed.

I'm not one to order steak at a restaurant, usually opting for pastas or fish/fowl. So in going to Gotham, I expected two things: excellent steak, and excellent service. We experienced both and then some.

The restaurant itself is very beautiful; rich, warm, decadent feeling and looking. I love the high floor to ceiling windows and the comfort that being in one of their big cozy booths brings. The hostess was quick and friendly, and gave us a choice of two seats; one upstairs (quieter and a bit darker), one downstairs (brighter and a bit livelier). We opted for the second and were very much pleased with our decision. Our server was attentive, sharp and witty (even a little sassy, but not to the point of being rude). They win cool-points for having their wine list on an iPad, kept at your table.

We started with two appetizers; oysters rockafeller and beef carpaccio. It was my first time having oysters rockafeller so I can't exactly judge, but they were so delicious; cheesy, loaded with spinach and cream and covered in lemon juice, the oyster in the middle was not too salty or "sea-tasting", which made me happy (I don't like shellfish usually). The beef carpaccio was tasty, but not the best I've ever had; the dijon was a little strong and the beef could have been a bit more flavourful. That said though it was still definitely good.

For dinner, I had the porterhouse, and my boyfriend had the fillet minon, and we shared a side of asparagus, mashed potatoes, cauliflower gratin and mushrooms ... obviously, we took home some leftovers. The steaks were flawless. I cannot rave enough. The meat was succulent, so flavourful, rich tasting and fell apart in your mouth. I had a perfectly cooked rare; warm all the way through but still blood red. My boyfriend's fillet minon was the same; so, so tasty. We were incredibly full only halfway through our meals but pushed to finish (or well, I almost finished mine ... the porterhouse is huge!), because it was just so delicious.

After packing up the remaining half of my steak, as well as the leftover mashed potatoes (we polished off the other sides), we had a bit of dessert. My man had the key lime pie and I had their creme brulee, and both were very delicious; not too sweet, definitely freshly put together and all in all a great way to end our meal.

Gotham's is not cheap. You don't come here for a cheap meal and it doesn't taste cheap, either, but this is to be expected of this place. For the two of us and how much we ordered (we each had two drinks as well), our meal, pre-tip came to $266, after tip $305. So if you're looking for some place fancy and comfortable that you can say you had an extravagant night out, this is certainly an option :)

1 Thank Morgan C
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
“Best pre-game steak in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I love to head down to Gotham's for a quick steak before the game. Coming here early, getting a wonderful seat outdoors next to the fireplace and having a few beers with my son. A life lesson about the finer things in life- a Gotham's steak. The rib eye to be exact was mouth watering and tender. The service was top notch. The best thing, we can enjoy a great dinner and still walk to the arena without being late!

1 Thank LTK123
Vancouver, Canada
“The best steak I had in a long long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was very impressed with the food and the service here. I came here last week based on a recommendation from a colleague. We had the Porter Steak and the lobster tail. The steak was really large, well-seasoned. Probably one of the best steaks that I have had in a long long time. What I though was strange though, was that the steak did not come with any sides at all, just the steak, so you have to order sides separately. They also have a nice assortment of cocktails. Great atmosphere and friendly staff. The parking lot was quite small and not enough parking for everyone. If this happens to you, do not use the valet parking service in front, just one block away is an underground garage (and much cheaper).

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Erik K
Hong Kong, China
“superb steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

When you walk in, to the right is the bar and it is quite noisy. I was concerned that the noise would interfere the dining. As it turned out, the dining room is not affected by the noise.

Service is terrific. We brought our wine and was charged 30 for corkage. We shared calamari, ceaser salad as appetizers. We also shared the rib bone steak. Unless you are a big eater, I think.sharing a portion is just right.

We had pecan pie and lemon pie for dessert. Both were terrific.

I would.recommend you to try this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013