“Good but not extraordinary” 4 of 5 stars
Review of C Restaurant

C Restaurant
1600 Howe St # 2, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 2L9, Canada (Downtown)
(604) 681-1164
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
C Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #810 of 2,804 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Beach Avenue
Toronto, Canada
“Good but not extraordinary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I went with a group for a private dinner last Thursday. We got the wine cellar room which is nice but could be rearranged to be much better. Throughout the meal there was a draft of cold air as they opened the upstairs door for ventilation. The seafood tower is plentiful and tasty albeit pricy. The fish was perfectly done. Portions are small and it took a while for food to arrive. The server has to constantly go up and down steep stairs which is not practical or conducive to good service. Overal I think it's too expensive for what you get.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

59% Recommend
San Antonio, Texas
“Was this a formerly great restaurant?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The concierge at our hotel made this reservation for my husband and I when we asked for a sustainable seafood restaurant. I can't understand the reviews or the prices, and i suspect the concierge got some sort of kickback for sending us there. The flavors were dull, the assembly lackluster, and the service was terrible. Everything seemed less than fresh. Although the presentation was artful, it would seem as if the chef hadn't tasted anything he cooked in a long time. Two nights before we ate at Blue Water. At the same price point, it blew this place out of the water.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“C disappointing and not good value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

C it is clearly riding on a reputation that precedes its current performance. Food was nothing special, and service was substandard at best. Not very good value for money. I was disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Awesome location, Excellent food, Impressive wine list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had the 10 course "Groupon"sampler menu. Each item was unique and exceptional. The kitchen staff are obviously very capable. The presentation of each item was creative, with great attention to detail.
Our server, Larry, was attentive, but not intrusive. The background music was light modern jazz, very atmosphere.
The location on the Sea wall is fabulous, overlooking the Vancouver Yacht Club marina in False Creek.
In fairness to the restaurant, we chose a weekday night, as we were using a Groupon. A most enjoyable 3 hours! We will be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“la dolce vita west coast style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic meal at this lovely restaurant in downtown Vancouver. He is born and bred in Vancouver but we now live in London, where we're really quite spoiled for choice. After some very underwhelming dining experiences at supposedly "top" restaurants in my native Toronto, like Bymark, Far Niente and Auberge du Pommier, I wasn't expecting anything beyond average at C Restaurant, especially since they were offering a voucher deal. However, I can honestly say that the everything about the meal -- the setting, the food, and the service -- was truly top-notch and on par with the best European restaurants we have eaten in.

Almost every course of our ten course menu was inventive and interesting and I tasted a whole range of unexpected and delightful flavours that I had never experienced before, which is what a tasting menu is all about. Our waiter steered us to the perfect bottle of wine in our $50 price range and recommended we splurge on the spot prawn supplement, which was fantastic and well worth the $12 upgrade.

Aside from that, the dishes that impressed me the most were the potato and leek soup, which was beautifully presented with a sumptuous little baked potato in the centre of the bowl, topped with crispy bacon bits -- comfort food heaven -- and the seared scallop with braised red cabbage and caramelized apple. I also loved the cucumber sorbet and feta cheese palate cleanser, which is an inventive combination but all the better for it since it was executed perfectly. The cheese course featured a remarkably fragrant saffron gel, another pleasant and totally unexpected surprise.

The only weak dish, and it was pretty lacklustre (heavy, dense and blase -- why not serve something light with BC blueberries matched with Meyer lemons?), was chocolate cake, but at that point I was on course 9 and had had such a fantastic meal that I honestly couldn't have cared less, especially since I had a delicious macaroon to round out my dinner and satisfy my sweet tooth.

What also delighted me about my meal at C Restaurant was that I felt like it was a truly West Coast experience, chilled and casual yet refined for all that. My one final minor quibble is that the hand soap in the ladies loos was quite ordinary and bit harsh and there was no hand cream or proper hand towels, just standard paper towels.

On a final note, I would like to mention that like the previous reviewer, we too had purchased a voucher. Given that, we knew to book well in advance, about two weeks prior to the week when we wanted to dine. When we called, we simply stated that we wanted a booking sometime during our preferred week, quite prepared to dine on a Wednesday considering it was at half the normal price. I am happy to report that the booking person gave us no attitude whatsoever and the first booking he suggested was Friday at 7pm -- perfect!

• Visited March 2013