“what happened to client recognition?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bin 942 Tapas Parlour - CLOSED

Bin 942 Tapas Parlour
1521 W. Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia V6J 1W6, Canada (Fairview)
604-734-9421
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Tapas
Neighborhood: Fairview
Neighborhood: Fairview
Vancouver BC
“what happened to client recognition?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I've been a regular customer at both Bins for about 8 years now. I used to go to Bin 941 at least once a week a few years ago when I lived in the area, then for the past 1 1/2 years have been a regular at Bin 942. We kept returning to 941 because a)service was awesome, and the staff recognized us and treated us great, and b) food was unreal utilizing fresh local ingredients (far before most other restaurants did in Vancouver).

We started regularly going to Bin 942 about 1 1/2 years ago when we moved in to the area. The staff that was there in the beginning are no longer there, which is a crying shame. Not only has consistency gone down a bit for food seasoning (some times we come and the food is prepped far too salty or ingredients aren't consistently blended or mixed), the servers act like every time we go there it's our first time. Up until about 2 months ago we were there probably once every week or two, but have stopped because of these reasons.

Now there's a "chefs table" which you can reserve. I had to read about that from Scout Magazine...and didn't hear about it from the servers. You'd think they'd recognize us from being in there so much and would have let us know about that, but no.

A big part of Bin's charm is that you feel like part of a family, and are appreciated for returning over and over again. Yes, the food is good, but there are a lot of great restaurants in Vancouver. Gord Martin needs to keep a bit more on top of his staff I think, and not just food.

I would still recommend going to Bin because the food is still fantastic and utilizes local organic ingredients, but I have mixed feelings about returning over and over again. It used to be my go-to favourite haunt, but I'm not so sure anymore.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Very tasty food, very crowded feeling..tables wayyyyyy too close together”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Very tasty food, very crowded feeling..tables wayyyyyy too close together

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I love the "shoe string...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I love the "shoe string pomme frites"

“Enjoyed the food took a...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Enjoyed the food took a while to get used to the music volume, a tad loud for me.

Vancouver
“loud is less”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Went with a friend to have dinner at Bin 942, I usually go to the other Bin on Davie st but thought we would try this one out. It was a Monday so the place was empty and we were able to get seat right away. Once we sat down, we noticed that music was sooo loud that we could hardly carry on a conversation. We ask if the music could be turned down a little bit. The waitress gave a little bit of attitude but said she would see what she could do. We noticed that it was turned down ever so slightly. Then a group of 6 came in and were seated right beside us. They also complained that the music was way to loud. They recieved even more attitude than we did, and after 10 minutes the six of them got up and left. Shortly afterwards another group of 4 came in and again they complained about the music...again they got attitude...
and shortly left. At this point the restaurant had lost half of its patrons because of the volume of the music. Also to note- We had order a number of dishes and asked about one that hadn't been served to us yet. The waitress was really not interested and we never got it. Before we left I had another word about the music, and were told that the owner wanted the music load for attmosphere. I am all for this but not if the place is empty, it doesn't work....you need the people to absorb the music. But the food was great for what we actually recieved.