“I would not recommend to my enemy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bin 942 Tapas Parlour

Bin 942 Tapas Parlour
1521 W. Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia V6J 1W6, Canada (Fairview)
604-734-9421
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,423 of 2,789 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Tapas
Neighborhood: Fairview
Neighborhood: Fairview
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“I would not recommend to my enemy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

It was the worst customer service and restaurant I have been to in quite a while.

I will start out with the positives. When we walked in my inital reaction was "wow, this looks like a cool little place to come regularly and hang out".. It is quite small, and everyone is close together, cozy. I like that... That is really about where it ends for the good things.. That is because I didnt even get to enjoy that area of the restaurant.. No...

We were seated literally right outside the bathrooms on a little bar against the wall.. It was so close to the doors to the bathroom that you had to move your seat in to let the people easily get out of the bathrooms and walk down this little hallway. Where once they had left, you could enjoy the soothing sounds of the toilet bowl refilling. The typical "bathroom smell" went excellent along with out starters.. We were told that this would only be until a table opened up for our group (4 people)... 2 hours later we were finished and still sitting by the bathrooms - all the while watching numerous groups of 4 walking in and being seated...

I would never go back.. And we werent just a group of 4 kids sitting there having waters and sharing some fries. We are professionals, mid late 20's, ordered cocktails, wine, starters for everyone, mains for everyone...

Service was not bad, but it also was not good.. Our server served us. That is about all that could be said.. The only part that really got me going was watching other people walking in off the street getting seated while we had been "waiting for a seat" for so long..

We laugh about how bad it was now.. and why we did not just get up and leave - oh well - you live and you learn.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Cool place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I love the food, but really enjoy the atmosphere. The loud music, dark lights always make for quite a sexy vibe. This is a great place to take a visitor to the city, every time I take someone who hasn't been here yet, they love it. Some people may find the music quite loud, but I think of the atmosphere more like a bar with great original food. I come here every time I visit my hometown.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
canada
“disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The quality of food and service has decline here and I agree with others that the food prices are far too high for what you get. If the food was consistently awesome and the staff were professionals I would probably be coaxed into spending more at this joint but everything has gone downhill in the past two years. The food used to have subtle and interesting flavours and now everything is too heavily seasoned with butter and salt. I find a lot of the dishes too rich. I had a salad with coriander seed that was inedible. The only thing worth ordering is the beef wellington and a glass of wine then head somewhere else for a real meal.

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver BC
“what happened to client recognition?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

I've been a regular customer at both Bins for about 8 years now. I used to go to Bin 941 at least once a week a few years ago when I lived in the area, then for the past 1 1/2 years have been a regular at Bin 942. We kept returning to 941 because a)service was awesome, and the staff recognized us and treated us great, and b) food was unreal utilizing fresh local ingredients (far before most other restaurants did in Vancouver).

We started regularly going to Bin 942 about 1 1/2 years ago when we moved in to the area. The staff that was there in the beginning are no longer there, which is a crying shame. Not only has consistency gone down a bit for food seasoning (some times we come and the food is prepped far too salty or ingredients aren't consistently blended or mixed), the servers act like every time we go there it's our first time. Up until about 2 months ago we were there probably once every week or two, but have stopped because of these reasons.

Now there's a "chefs table" which you can reserve. I had to read about that from Scout Magazine...and didn't hear about it from the servers. You'd think they'd recognize us from being in there so much and would have let us know about that, but no.

A big part of Bin's charm is that you feel like part of a family, and are appreciated for returning over and over again. Yes, the food is good, but there are a lot of great restaurants in Vancouver. Gord Martin needs to keep a bit more on top of his staff I think, and not just food.

I would still recommend going to Bin because the food is still fantastic and utilizes local organic ingredients, but I have mixed feelings about returning over and over again. It used to be my go-to favourite haunt, but I'm not so sure anymore.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Very tasty food, very crowded feeling..tables wayyyyyy too close together”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Very tasty food, very crowded feeling..tables wayyyyyy too close together