“Fine budget accommodation in Vancouver” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
You added Hotel Ambassador to your Saves list
Hotel Ambassador
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1212 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z1M4, Canada (Formerly Hotel Granville Grand)   |
Ranked #79 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Baltimore
“Fine budget accommodation in Vancouver”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I went to Vancouver for a meeting at the Vancouver Convention Center in early June. I needed to spend minimal funds. Fortunately I located Hotel Ambassador. It is located a few blocks from the stations for the train to the airport. Also it is at the intersection of Granville and Davie Streets. There are several restaurants and clubs on both those streets. It is about a mile from the convention center so I walked the distance in about half an hour.

The hotel has two stories. There is no elevator. I needed to carry baggage up and down the stairs. I used the safe deposit box in my room. There is no telephone in the room. There is no air conditioning. The bed was comfortable. There was a sink in my room. I was readily able to use the free WiFi in my room. I shared the bathrooms at the end of the hall. Housekeeping provided soap, but not shampoo or conditioner. Housekeeping changed towels and collected trash daily; however, my bed was unmade throughout my stay. Coffee was free in the kitchen from 9 to 11 am daily.

Since I departed at 11 pm, I wanted to occupy my room until 8 pm. I had to pay for an additional day to stay in my room until 8 pm.

Room Tip: People on the street may be noisy around the nearby clubs and restaurants. Rooms off the street may...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Central location,east to get around.Reasonably priced,with communal kitchen,and laundry room.
Room was clean with comfortable double bed.There was also sink in a room.It was warm in a room and I kept window open through the day.
Bathroom was in a corridor,but right next to my room,so easy to get in.It was nice and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by reception. The location is awesome. The rooms are clean. The bathrooms are near to newly renovated and kept exceptionally clean. I was expecting high levels of noise, but was pleasantly surprised given it is the centre of the city. For the money, it is great!

I think room temperature could be a problem in the heat of Summer, as I kept my window open all night and it was 8-10 degrees. Don't rely on travel assistance from the front desk, just head to the tourist information centre at the wharf.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A friend and I were traveling the West Coast, this hotel was a perfect start to the trip; great location with easy access to everything. Took us about 30 minutes to walk to Stanley Park. No en suite but really clean and well kept communal toilets.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

What they don't tell you is that it is right next to a noisy bar so if you want to get some sleep early it isn't the place for you! Even with ear plugs I was kept up by the vibrations of the bass until 2am and I had to get up at 6am to run in a big road race in the city. The room was also really hot but even more noisy with the window open. Staff did let me move rooms but where I moved to was even more noisy! I was really upset to get so little sleep and it did spoil the stay which was a shame because everything else about the place is pretty great; helpful staff, comfortable beds, towels provided, private rooms for a good low price, tvs in every room. Almost like a hotel but for a hostel price. Sadly quiet at night is something I really need though. I would only go back there if I knew I would be going out at night and didn't have to get up early.

Room Tip: The first floor is very noisy with the bar next door playing loud music with a heavy bass until 2am...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1.5 weeks when I moved to Vancouver and was looking for an apartment. The location is excellent, with loads of shops and restaurants within walking distance and located along a main transit route. The staff were all lovely people and very helpful. The price was very economical for a great place. It's nothing fancy, but is a very comfortable spot with spacious rooms equipped with wifi, a desk, small fridge and a TV with cable. There is a shared kitchen with dishes and cookingware for your use, which is ideal for longer stays, as well as laundry access available in the evenings for $2/ use. The only drawback to the place is the bar adjacent, which streams music until around 1 AM (which isn't actually all that loud), but with a pair of earplugs, you'll sleep perfectly.

Note: good student deals are available. I had a room to myself with a double bed for $44/ night, taxes included.

Room Tip: 110 was great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights while visiting Vancouver as we were looking for budget accommodation. The location was great, within walking distance to some great cheap sushi places and a few minutes to the shopping area and waterfront. It also had a kitchen with hobs, microwave and kettle.

The rooms were average, towels changed everyday and they had fridges too. The shared bathrooms could have been much better. The showers flooded and the toilets were so small to get into. They were cleaned daily but with only 2 showers and 4 toilets per floor we thought they should have been done more frequently/or had more bathrooms installed.

Some staff were helpful, some didn't even say hello when you came through reception.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ambassador? Share your experiences!