“First time but not the last!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Granville House B&B

You added Granville House B&B to your Saves list
Granville House B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5050 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6M 3B4, Canada   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 62 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Banbury, United Kingdom
“First time but not the last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at Granville House for 2 weeks in May 2013. It was our first visit to Vancouver to visit our daughter & son-in-law for the imminent birth of their first baby. Granville House was chosen for its close proximity to both their house and the maternity hospital. It was easy to find and the bus stop for downtown was only 2 minutes walk away. Our room and the communal areas were airy, very well-appointed and spotlessly clean. Pam and Randy, the owners, and all the staff were courteous, friendly and most helpful. On hearing of the safe arrival of our new grandson they all seemed genuinely to share our excitement. We cannot fault the time we spent there. In a nutshell, we had a fantastic stay and we shall be back!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The House is spotless, owners have a no shoes policy so pack slippers. Room was nicely appointed, bed comfortable and bathroom spacious, in room coffee machine was provided but I wish they had put regular milk in the fridge instead of the awful powder synthetic creamer.The air-conditioning situation left a lot to be desired, granted there was an unusual heatwave while we were there but not much was done to cool the room down, we opened the window and kept the ceiling fan on full speed. The main road is busy so our last night was not comfortable due to heat and outside noise. The surrounding area was lovely and convenient to downtown. We also had difficulty locating the house as the front is covered by a tall hedge which blocks the number.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed one evening at the Granville House B&B and were very satisfied. It is very secure in a residential neighborhood right on one of the main bus routes. Everything was very clean -- it is a "no shoes on" house, which is fine with me, since everything was spotless. It was a little different since when I called I booked through an agency, but when we arrived and had some questions, the phone was answered by the proprietor/staff and we were pleased with the information and help provided. It turned out to be a very convenient location because of the bus line accessibility (approximately every 10 minutes) and approximately a 15 minute ride to Gastown and the ferry terminal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here as we had an early morning appointment at the nearby hospital and didn't want to have to drive into the city during rush hour traffic. Finding the b&b was a challenge as we couldn't see any obvious signage at the front (other than the street number). Secondly, we then had to find the parking, which is in a narrow alley at the rear of the building. It's the first time i've ever stayed at any accomodation where there is no-one there to welcome you. It seems very impersonal. Once in through the door, the next challenge was to find out where our room was...
Our room was at the rear of the building. It was very nicely and luxuriously appointed, although very warm (even in March). We couldn't find any way to make the room cooler, other than to leave the windows open. This was not an option at night for 2 reasons: the road is very busy and there is lots of traffic noise, and there are no screens on the windows (I have a huge moth phobia and will not sleep with open windows without screens). The bed was very comfortable but I barely slept due to the room being too hot and stuffy.
The bathroom was very nice, although didn't look quite finished as there appeared to be a missing baseboard. For the money paid, I expected to have individual toiletries, but instead there was a large dispenser containing shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. I didn't use any of them as I have allergies to some ingredients and there was no ingredient list to see what was in any of the products.
We met the host as we had breakfast the next morning - she seemed very nice and welcoming. We had left a note to say we would be leaving early (before the hot buffet was served), and she had very kindly prepared a hot breakfast for us ahead of time. This was a very nice touch, and appreciated, even though the dish was something I didn't like.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Comfy bed, nice bathroom, friendly staff, central location, great neighborhood, quiet. Randy was quick with recommendations and advice. Allowed us to leave luggage when we got in early and caught a later flight. No shoes policy FYI. Very clean and felt like home.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I found this bed and breakfast through Airbnb. It sounded nice and the photos and reviews seemed good, so I booked a long weekend (May 3-6). When I arrived at my room, the room felt warm and a little stuffy. I went to try and find the thermostat, but all that was on the wall was a thermostat for floor heating and a controller for the ceiling fan.

I called the main B&B number, and I asked the agent about the air conditioning. She said that this time of year the AC is not turned on and that I should open some windows and close the blinds. If this didn't work, then I should call them back. I tried this, but when I opened the window this let in the noise from the street (I was on the backside of the house, but could still hear the traffic). Also, bees started flying into the room through the opened window.

A few minutes later I received a phone call from Randy, one of the owners. The B&B agent had called him and mentioned I called. Randy gave me the same speech that the agent gave me about the AC not being turned on yet, and that I should open the windows and close the blinds. He also added "it is 12 degrees out and I can't imagine there would be an issue with the room being too hot". Well, all I knew it was hot in the room. Plus it was warmer than 12 degrees out. That's besides the point. I shouldn't have to argue as I was the guest and I was not happy with the accommodations.

He said he would stop by and check it out, but he really didn't see why it would be necessary to turn the AC on. He also said that there is no separate air conditioning unit for each room, and the only thermostat for the whole house was downstairs in the lobby. So, if you like to control the temperature in the room be prepared to do some creative ways to get the right temperature.

Regardless whether Randy was coming to check things out, I decided these accommodations are not for me due to the thermostat issue, and for the way I was treated. So, I found a hotel and booked a room there, and I had my own thermostat in the hotel room to be at just the temperature I wanted.

I told Randy that I decided that the B&B was not for me and I found other accommodations. He then said that it was within 14 days of the reservation, and they do not give refunds. He said that he would try and resell the room, and if it did resell I would get a refund. Otherwise I would not get a refund.

So, the moral of the story here is, if you like to control the temperature of your room with your own thermostat, the only thermostat you will have will be floor heating, but no cold air control other than opening or closing a vent to the main house AC unit. Also, be very certain that this is the place for you because they do not refund your money if you change your mind within 14 days. Oh, and possibly be prepared to argue with Randy if you have a complaint.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GranvilleBB, Owner at Granville House B&B, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
This bogus review is from a traveller who double booked his accommodations, and was refused a refund. Nothing more. Ironically, he used an Air Conditioning complaint on a cool day when we are the ONLY Vancouver B&B with room controlled AC (& heated floors;-).

The exchange went something like this: Customer (at 2pm, leaving B&B after early check in): My room is too hot. Randy (me, the owner): it is 12C/58F outside but sunny, we could open a window or close your blinds. Customer: No, I would be more comfortable staying somewhere else. Randy: We have AC, plus windows that open (unlike hotels), louvered blinds and black out curtains, so I am sure we can find a comfortable room temperature for you. Customer: I have found alternate accommodations and would like to cancel my booking. Randy: Soooo, you found alternate accommodations 2 hours before your stated check in time & you want a full refund due to a warm room when we have room controlled AC? Customer: Yes. Randy: I will come and check your room and refund you if this is the case.

I checked the Birch Junior room at 3pm (1 hour before check in time), it was 20C/68F, our target smart-home temperature. I manually turn AC on (too cool for auto on), 15 minutes later Birch room is 15C/59F. No bees. I email customer this information before 4pm check in time & gave the option of opening his room up for resale, as our Refund Policy (unlike hotels) is "Even when no refund is due, a refund maybe applied if the unit is resold". Customer (at 4pm) wants to think about that.

Customer (at 11pm) wants me to open up his availability. I assume he used this time to unsuccessfully cancel his booking at the hotel. The Birch Suite is immediately opened up & changed over. The room remains vacant for the reminder of this booking. Congratulations on customers very respectable 2057th overall finish in 4:23:44.

The cautionary tale here is not to double book your accommodations. When my staff asked if they could help with luggage, this customers response was "no, I just want to check my room." An ill conceived complaint is no way to circumvent a booking. Customer satisfaction and guest comfort is paramount to me & my wife. We will continue to offer our guests the most flexible cancellation policy in the B&B industry. We also proudly offer the ONLY Vancouver B&B with room controlled AC, heated floors, 24 hour keyless access, 5am-11am breakfast buffet & a Canada-Select 5 star rating.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was so impressed with Granville House when I stayed there a year ago that when I returned to Vancouver it was my first choice, and I was delighted again.

The Vogel's have created a truly first class, well thought out guest house. I can't really think of anything I'd change. I was in Vancouver to visit the office of Drs. Alastair and Jean Carruthers & Dr. Shannon Humprhrey. I suggested to their staff that they recommend Granville House to out-of-town visitors.

In addition, Granville House is on a very nice part of Granville St. [which is the road in from the Vancouver Airport] so 5050 Granville is easy to find. Because the surrounding districts and parks are very nice I enjoyed walking rather than driving to some places.

Room Tip: Both of the rooms I have had were equally delightful, one was at the front and the other was upstair...