“Our stay of 4 days” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Granville House B&B

Save Saved
You added Granville House B&B to your Saves list
Granville House B&B
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5050 Granville Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6M 3B4, Canada   |
Ranked #19 of 63 Vancouver B&B and Inns
“Our stay of 4 days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Comfy bed, nice bathroom, friendly staff, central location, great neighborhood, quiet. Randy was quick with recommendations and advice. Allowed us to leave luggage when we got in early and caught a later flight. No shoes policy FYI. Very clean and felt like home.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I found this bed and breakfast through Airbnb. It sounded nice and the photos and reviews seemed good, so I booked a long weekend (May 3-6). When I arrived at my room, the room felt warm and a little stuffy. I went to try and find the thermostat, but all that was on the wall was a thermostat for floor heating and a controller for the ceiling fan.

I called the main B&B number, and I asked the agent about the air conditioning. She said that this time of year the AC is not turned on and that I should open some windows and close the blinds. If this didn't work, then I should call them back. I tried this, but when I opened the window this let in the noise from the street (I was on the backside of the house, but could still hear the traffic). Also, bees started flying into the room through the opened window.

A few minutes later I received a phone call from Randy, one of the owners. The B&B agent had called him and mentioned I called. Randy gave me the same speech that the agent gave me about the AC not being turned on yet, and that I should open the windows and close the blinds. He also added "it is 12 degrees out and I can't imagine there would be an issue with the room being too hot". Well, all I knew it was hot in the room. Plus it was warmer than 12 degrees out. That's besides the point. I shouldn't have to argue as I was the guest and I was not happy with the accommodations.

He said he would stop by and check it out, but he really didn't see why it would be necessary to turn the AC on. He also said that there is no separate air conditioning unit for each room, and the only thermostat for the whole house was downstairs in the lobby. So, if you like to control the temperature in the room be prepared to do some creative ways to get the right temperature.

Regardless whether Randy was coming to check things out, I decided these accommodations are not for me due to the thermostat issue, and for the way I was treated. So, I found a hotel and booked a room there, and I had my own thermostat in the hotel room to be at just the temperature I wanted.

I told Randy that I decided that the B&B was not for me and I found other accommodations. He then said that it was within 14 days of the reservation, and they do not give refunds. He said that he would try and resell the room, and if it did resell I would get a refund. Otherwise I would not get a refund.

So, the moral of the story here is, if you like to control the temperature of your room with your own thermostat, the only thermostat you will have will be floor heating, but no cold air control other than opening or closing a vent to the main house AC unit. Also, be very certain that this is the place for you because they do not refund your money if you change your mind within 14 days. Oh, and possibly be prepared to argue with Randy if you have a complaint.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GranvilleBB, Owner at Granville House B&B, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
This bogus review is from a traveller who double booked his accommodations, and was refused a refund. Nothing more. Ironically, he used an Air Conditioning complaint on a cool day when we are the ONLY Vancouver B&B with room controlled AC (& heated floors;-).

The exchange went something like this: Customer (at 2pm, leaving B&B after early check in): My room is too hot. Randy (me, the owner): it is 12C/58F outside but sunny, we could open a window or close your blinds. Customer: No, I would be more comfortable staying somewhere else. Randy: We have AC, plus windows that open (unlike hotels), louvered blinds and black out curtains, so I am sure we can find a comfortable room temperature for you. Customer: I have found alternate accommodations and would like to cancel my booking. Randy: Soooo, you found alternate accommodations 2 hours before your stated check in time & you want a full refund due to a warm room when we have room controlled AC? Customer: Yes. Randy: I will come and check your room and refund you if this is the case.

I checked the Birch Junior room at 3pm (1 hour before check in time), it was 20C/68F, our target smart-home temperature. I manually turn AC on (too cool for auto on), 15 minutes later Birch room is 15C/59F. No bees. I email customer this information before 4pm check in time & gave the option of opening his room up for resale, as our Refund Policy (unlike hotels) is "Even when no refund is due, a refund maybe applied if the unit is resold". Customer (at 4pm) wants to think about that.

Customer (at 11pm) wants me to open up his availability. I assume he used this time to unsuccessfully cancel his booking at the hotel. The Birch Suite is immediately opened up & changed over. The room remains vacant for the reminder of this booking. Congratulations on customers very respectable 2057th overall finish in 4:23:44.

The cautionary tale here is not to double book your accommodations. When my staff asked if they could help with luggage, this customers response was "no, I just want to check my room." An ill conceived complaint is no way to circumvent a booking. Customer satisfaction and guest comfort is paramount to me & my wife. We will continue to offer our guests the most flexible cancellation policy in the B&B industry. We also proudly offer the ONLY Vancouver B&B with room controlled AC, heated floors, 24 hour keyless access, 5am-11am breakfast buffet & a Canada-Select 5 star rating.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was so impressed with Granville House when I stayed there a year ago that when I returned to Vancouver it was my first choice, and I was delighted again.

The Vogel's have created a truly first class, well thought out guest house. I can't really think of anything I'd change. I was in Vancouver to visit the office of Drs. Alastair and Jean Carruthers & Dr. Shannon Humprhrey. I suggested to their staff that they recommend Granville House to out-of-town visitors.

In addition, Granville House is on a very nice part of Granville St. [which is the road in from the Vancouver Airport] so 5050 Granville is easy to find. Because the surrounding districts and parks are very nice I enjoyed walking rather than driving to some places.

Room Tip: Both of the rooms I have had were equally delightful, one was at the front and the other was upstair...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My first impression arriving at the guest house was not to good, being on the busy Granville street. They however have very good free parking in the ally round the back. Access into the house and room by code is easy and works well. The room was luxurious and cosy with everything that you can expect from a 5 star B & B. There is a kingsize bed with a very good matress and the linnen surprisingly soft and silky. Good aircon with extra blankets if needed.

Bathroom is well equiped with strong water in the shower and nice soft and thick towels.

Our first breakfast at the guesthouse was ok, although nothing special with a very sweet frenchtoast dish. Sunday morning was disappointing with stale croissants and milk that was slightly off.

The manager was very friendly and accommodating and we toroughly enjoyed our stay.
We will definitly recommend this guesthouse to friends travelling to Vancouver.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Hampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Pam and Randy Vogel are great hosts in Vancouver. My husband and I were on a pre Thanksgiving tour of Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Olympic Peninsula, and we stayed our first night here at the Granville B&B. It is centrally located in many ways and was easy to find.
Beside the fact that we began our visit with a small injury to my husband's nose while opening the trunk in the pouring rain upon arrival, I was immediately put at ease by Randy and Pam who could not do enough to be sure he was ok. They provided all we needed promptly and with kindness. That was only the beginning of the excellent care and attention we received from these lovely hosts. Our room was on the entry level of the house, and considering we were on the street side of the house, and first floor, it was a quiet and peaceful space. Our room was beautifully appointed, and had a king size bed that had the most amazing quality bedding. Seriously, the bed and linens were wonderful, and the quality of air in the room reminded us of staying at the Ritz Carlton, where they use special air treatments. There was a fully equipped bath, flat screen TV, small refrigerator, and sitting area with desk that more than met our needs. Randy spent ample with us reviewing the area and restaurants according to our tastes. Pam was very welcoming at breakfast, and we were served a spectacular local crab quiche/souffle. We will most definitely come again and recommend the Granville to our friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Granville House at the begining of October when the weather was quite inclement. Our hosts Randy and Pam were exremely helpful in suggesting places to go and things to do to make our stay more enjoyable despite the rain. The house itself was very comfortable with large rooms that contained all the extras that you would expect in a much more expensive hotel. It was our first time in Vancouver and if we returned to see more of the sights that we missed due to the weather then we would have no hesitation in returning to the Granville House B&B for our stay. Good Value, Friendly Staff and Good Location too (just a quick bus ride from almost outside the door to get to the city centre if you don't have your own transport) - what more could you ask for.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

In June 2012, we stayed four nights at the Granville B&B, a comfortable, clean older but freshly remodeled house right on Granville Street and half a block to the nearest bus line leading straight to downtown Vancouver. This was our first experience with a B&B and we found our hosts Pamela and Randy incredibly friendly and helpful from reservation to check-out. On our first and last nights, we ate at Caffe Barney’s on Granville around 14th street or so, and had surprisingly good meals at surprisingly reasonable prices. Thank you Pam & Randy for the suggestion. Thank you also for the free parking!

The Granville B&B staff were also very friendly and helpful: Shandy was a wealth of knowledge, and Leikka went out of her way to accommodate our dietary needs with each breakfast entree. For us, the entrees were adequate in flavor (although no added salt), but they were insufficient for our paleo eating habits, meaning that since we don't eat sweet foods like the muffins, cereals, and fruit offered we were left wanting for an adequate breakfast and required either an early lunch or a second breakfast out. However, as we know we have an uncommon diet, we were not expecting to be catered to. Therefore, we did appreciate the effort to adjust the ingredients in our entrees! I’m just mentioning this for any other paleo eaters, to keep in mind there is a refrigerator in the bedroom!

Upstairs, are four rooms, each with its door at one of the four corners of the house, so you never feel too close to your neighbor. Although, with the dense carpeting and solid walls, we would never have guessed that the other rooms were occupied. This is not a party house. Our room was the Dogwood, boasting a king-size bed with quality bedding, a desk, TV, and ample room to move about. The bathroom was modern with double sinks, but limited counter space. We did have brief concern at check-in, regarding one of the faucets being non-operational, but it was repaired the next day. I think a lovely touch would be some sort of drying rack for hand washing. Silly me for not asking - I did learn as we were leaving, that we could have paid to run a load of laundry, so I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

Being at the front of the house, close to the 6-lane commuter Granville street, because of the traffic noise we could not fall asleep with the windows open, but instead needed to keep them closed with the air on. My stepmom stayed in the Birch at the back of the house and heard no street noise. Although the robes and slippers were a nice touch, the robe was shrunk and would have best fit a petitie woman. The mini-fridge in the closet was handy as was the mini safe. Probably the biggest disappointment for us (being computer nerds) was that the advertised free Wi-Fi did not work in our room, except for right by the door in the hallway, and it wasn’t much better downstairs in the main room. But, I am HAPPY TO REPORT that the owners have since dealt with the problem by installing repeaters on every level, so that should no longer be an issue for guests - yay! The most appreciated part of my stay was the bed!

As far as B&Bs go, we have no other reference, but aside from a few issues, overall it was a comfortable, clean, pleasant place to stay, and I would definitely consider staying here again, on our next trip to Vancouver. Thanks Pam and Randy.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back of the house, away from street traffic: the B...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Granville House B&B? Share your experiences!