“AB for a good time not a long time.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of American Backpackers Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
American Backpackers Hostel
Save Saved
You added American Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
347 West Pender Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 1T3, Canada   |
Special Rate
Dorm $10 Double $17.50 ea
Vancouver
“AB for a good time not a long time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been to Vancouver on 2 occasions and both times stayed at this place. It's not the Hilton Hotel or anything but the people are always friendly and down for a chat. It is right in downtown so easy walk to site seeing spots, clubs and bars. To be honest, people who don't like it shouldn't be backpacking. It's all part of travelling!

Room Tip: Any room upstairs is good. Away from all the noise on the weekends.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My sister and I turned up at this hostel last summer, and didn't even make it past the reception desk before getting out as quickly as possible. The hostel was dark, dingy and smelly with all the doors open to the rooms revealing the filthiest rooms ive ever seen. It looked more like a crack den, and I'm a seasoned hosteller so I know what a bad hostel looks like! The atmosphere felt weird and threatening - I would not have felt safe here as a female. Stay ANYWHERE but here - there's a reason why its crazy cheap!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
mazara1, Manager at American Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
we did not check this person in and we dont know this guest may be somebody we kicked out before or ex employee that was fired a lot of those
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Nice staff, cheapest in town and great kegparties. Going back in october.

• Stayed May 2012
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

It was the cheapest hostel I found in downtown so I expected the worst but was happily suprised cause the place was clean and safe and the people very nice, will go back in october.

• Stayed May 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at this hostel almost two years ago (august 2010) and have just stumbled across it here on tripadvisor which reminded me of what a truly disgusting excuse for a hostel this is. And i say this after i didnt even pay and snuck into a room after spending a miserable night in a car - in hindsight i would have spent another night in the car.

Right onto the hostel - it is incredible dirty - the owner some crazy old french dude told me to put my shoes on as i may get HEPATITIS from the floor (not sure how that works but thats what he said).

Next i went to the kitchen to get a drink of water but decided that was a terrible idea when i witnessed the sate of the floor, sink, cups, rotten food etc.

Onto the bedroom - i wasnt given a sheet but the other people in the room who i had met on my trip had been given some nasty blood stained smelly ones. The matresses where in the same way and thankfully i had a sleeping bag. Anyway there where signs all over the room saying dont move this or beds will collapse. On closer inspection i noticed the beds where in fact held together and to one anther and in one case to a cabinet with a duct tape. I didn't dare to remove it in case of a collapse - this was soon answered though with a large crash from behind me where someone had just fell six foot after his top bunk collapsed.

Although i have no right to criticise this place as i didnt pay - i wouldnt wont anybody to go here - even if your on a cheap budget. Its dangerous, dirty and much much more which doesnt come to my head as it was two years since i was there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
enzuccio, Owner at American Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
sorry that we disappointed you I fire all my staff and hire you to run this hostel my be do better then other backpackers that I give jobs to survive please come and apply we give free accomodation for work Vincent the owner
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel is one of the worst hotel I never went in my life...
The location is pretty good but except that everything is horrible.
When I'm arrive the owner (vincent) gave me clean sheet... but It wasn't really clean the sheet was full of urine the smell was unbearable!!!
The washrooms was so disgusting I think they are never clean...
I really will not recommend this place even if its the cheaper place in Town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
enzuccio, Public Relations Manager at American Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
please note the gust was so drunk he pissed on the bed also complains because some people according were they are from are endless complainer we at hostel give clean sheet and even if were dirty he could come and have changed also here we dont make beds for guest they have to make them-self we give clean sheets but some are so lazy or drunk that they dont make the beds for $10 per night dont aspect the Hilton hotel people ??? we had same price for 28 years ...
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

American backpackers hostel in Van,BC is the place to be...you will meet amazing people from all around the world,have some fun,dicouvering Vancouver and party like an party animal...so go there!!! :p

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to American Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!