“up there with the best portland has to offer” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #823 of 2,802 Restaurants in Vancouver
Portland, Oregon
“up there with the best portland has to offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have the great fortune of living in Portland, Oregon, where there is more great coffee per square mile than almost anywhere else in the world. In fact, one of the best of the best is in my NW neighborhood. So when I had my list of coffee places to try in Vancouver BC, my bar was set very, very high. I had tried a few of the local chainlets on the first couple days in the city, but on the last two days managed to make it to two good and one great coffee place. The 'goods' were JJ Bean Coffee and Revolver, and the great was Dose. JJ's was good for a chain place (14 outlets) which had obviously maintained a good level of quality in their roasting and barista operations, which is hard to do when you go over about five stores (my personal cut off for going to a smaller operation instead). Revolver was better, but the overall emphasis on pour over and Aeropress methods is not that interesting to me, as I am purely an espresso hound. Finally, Dose Espresso bar, on our last day in the city. It was easily as good as my two favorite places in Portland - Spell Caffe and Barista. They go for a darker roast than the 'third wave' shops, which is a big plus in my book, and their preparation of the macchiato was exquisite. A memorable coffee experience!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Best Flat White in Vancouver (and we'd tried 'em all.)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you're a Flat White fan, then you'll love the Flat White at Dose. Do yourself a favour and grab a dose now!

• Visited July 2013