“Not totally certain what I ate but certainly enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars

604-739-3275
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dark Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 2,810 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Trafalgar
Vancouver, Canada
“Not totally certain what I ate but certainly enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

What a great concept. You are greeted outside where your first drink order and if any entree preference is taken. Make sure you tell them if any allergies if you go mystery all the way. Your blind server greets you and esorts you to your table in the dark. Don't worry no steps to worry about. You orientate yourself to the table and then the guessing begins. I admit I stuck my fingers in my food dishes to make I didn't miss anything. Because it was dark I naturally just closed my eyes. I probably looked funny eating closer to my food than usual to not miss my mouth but didn't spill any of my wine. They food was really good. Once done your server escorted you to a lit area to pay and then escorted you out the front door. Still a mystery what the restaurant is like inside. I would go back again to test out my other senses.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canada
“Extraordinary Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Was hesitate to try this place but heard controversial comments about it so thought that it's worth a try to find out. Glad that I did, it was such a unforgetable experience. I am not going to explain details of the dining experience because I don't want readers to lose interests. Just that, Me and my guy friend were laughing so hard with some "play in the dark games" like feeding each others and finding stuffs. Foods were better than expected as well. Anyway, go for it, don't miss the fun!

Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing Experience, Wonderful Staff, Decent Grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This place is a sight to behold... or one not to! Taking away one of your senses for a long enough period of time, if you concentrate on your other senses you can really feel how magnified they become. I've never had a more bolder tasting green bean, or could hear the creaking of a chair half way across the restaurant. Our server Leo, was an amazing gentlemen. The fact that all of the servers here are blind and know the layout like the back of their hand was amazing! Our meal that day was pretty good, not 5 star or anything, but definitely enjoyable. A very fun part of coming here with friends is guessing what you are eating, if everyone gets all "surprises". Great spot.

• Visited May 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Experience. A must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Saw a groupon and decided to try this experience and it was a fabulous one. If you haven't tried you should. We are too used to using our eyes and forget the other senses are a great way of experiencing food and the company. This experience forces you to use your imagination, touch, taste, smell and ears (to listen to your friends and what is happening around you). It was scary at first not knowing what to expect or to imagine how I would eat but it wasn't all that scary.
Process:
1) you arrive and is met by the hostess outside
2) they pass you a menu and you order before going in - appy and dessert are mystery but you could chose your entree or you could pick a mystery. appy is a salad although I won't spoil the fun and tell you what it is. The dessert is some sort of cake
3) then when they are ready a waiter (who is supposed to be blind) will come and meet with you and bring you inside to the darkest room you've been. you go through these double doors or make sure NO light is allowed. you follow the waiter by putting your hands on his shoulders and he/she will guide you telling you to turn or walk straight
4) you are seated and they will bring you the food and drinks you've ordered
5) when time to pay bill you call your waiter by name and he/she will come get you and bring you to this other room where it is very dimly lit and you pay your bill. then the waiter walks you to the exit.

Food wise:
Appy was good. Not the best salad i've tasted but was a generous portion and tasted decent.
Entree I chose the steak and veggies and it was really good. They already cut the steak into strips so really you just need to fork it. The potato was really good, green beans were nice and crunchy. The portion was surprising generous also.
Dessert was so so. Found it tasteless but again the portion was good. this is the only item i didn't find tasted that good.

Tips: other than using the knife to butter your piece of bread, it's pretty much fingers and fork. You definitely need to use your fingers to feel where things are and how much you have left otherwise you might miss out on a nice piece of juicy steak! if the strip of steak doesn't tear off nicely I wouldn't even bother with using the knife because it's too hard to tell where you're cutting. Plus they don't give you a steak knife so it was hard to cut. Just use your fingers!
*** try to refrain from wearing glow in the dark clothes or accessories. One person had a strip of glow in the dark on their runners and my b/f and I were drawn to them because that was the only thing we could see.
*** if you don't have to don't use the bathroom or go before you go to the restaurant because it's work to try and go then. you have to call the waiter/ess who will then lead you to the bathroom and is supposed to be dimly lit. I didn't have to go so i'm not sure.
*** have fun with your company. I stole a few sips of my b/f's drink and later replaced it with my empty cup just to get a reaction out of him. poke them, grab them, spook them.
those who are thinking of getting a little frisky...well I suppose you could but no guarantee no one is wearing night vision goggles! Just a chance you'll have to take : )

How dark is it really? It's really REALLY dark. Like you can't see your hands in front of you dark.

My b/f and I would definitely go back another time to try another entree choice.
It might not be for everyone because it's a bit scary and inconvenienced, but it should at least be a one time experience - to step into the shoes of a person who is blind and having to live this way for their whole lives. Definitely gives you much more appreciation of your sight.

Price: when i went the menu was showing $39 for 3 course per person or $33 for two course, but I got a deal from groupon and paid $24 per person for 3 course. May not be Keg quality of food, but it was good.

Hope this helps?!

Vancouver, Canada
“Go for the experience, not the food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We just shared a meal with four delightful people that we will never "see" again - and if we did we wouldn't know who they were. I don't think I've ever been anywhere so devoid of light. It was an interesting experience and I'm glad I had it. I was able to use my thumb to move my food onto my fork without bring accused of bad manners. I have food allergies and intolerances and the staff were very good at making sure I wasn't served food that would cause me problems. However, if there was dressing on the salad it was barely there and the chicken was so dry that it was almost tasteless. The saving grace was the fact that it was wrapped around a delicious concoction with goat cheese. Don't think we will return but we're glad that we took advantage of a Groupon offer to try it once.

• 2 of 5 stars Food