“Fantastic, cannot wait to get back to this one” 5 of 5 stars

+1 604-685-8080
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Minami Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,763 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Helmcken and Davie
Transit: We are located half a block east of the Yaletown - Roundhouse Canada line Skytrain station.
Description: Restaurant ConceptEstablished as a second location of Aburi Brand, and recognized as the North American home of Aburi Sushi, Minami offers a combination Japanese and West Coast cuisine in a comfortable rustic space. We offer unique takes on beef, pork, poultry, and seafood dishes to enjoy with your choice of sake, wine, or specialty beverage created by our amazing bar team. From special occasions to intimate gatherings with family or friends to corporate events, we create a welcoming atmosphere with impeccable service, providing a memorable dining experience.Culinary BrandAppetizer SushiAburi Sushi is a corporate symbol of our company, enjoyed by hundreds of Vancouverites. We are excited to introduce our new Aburi Sushi appetizers, showcasing our unique style of cuisine. The combination of our original shari cooked in our own unique traditional method and flame searing technique has turned sushi into an exciting culinary experience. Enjoy our new innovative Aburi Sushi as the perfect way to start your dining experience alongside your favourite beverage. EntréeOur entrée menu places an emphasis on our beef, poultry, and seafood dishes. Our dedicated chef team prepares our entrees not only focusing on the protein, but also bringing our vegetable side dish to the next level using seasonal ingredient to complement the flavour of the meat. We insist that a great entrée be accompanied by an equally great side. Our chefs focus on flavour and compatibility for your enjoyment. Service Concept: NINGENMILike Miku, our service concept at Minami is “Ningenmi”, “Find joy in yourself by bringing pleasure to guests”This was formed by blending service concepts from two cultures: from Japan, Omotenashi and Wagokoro, (which translates to Japanese Heart), and from North America, one-on-one personal service. Each guest that enters the restaurant is treated as a guest of the entire restaurant; this means, not only will your server look after your experience, but everyone working in that room will contribute to making your dining experience a memorable one.However, while the atmosphere and service at Miku boasts a friendly, bright and lively energy, like that of a busy summer day, guests dining at Minami can expect a more relaxed, warm atmosphere with heartfelt service, like the calm of the beach at sunset.Ningenmi creates an inimitable atmosphere completely unique to Aburi Restaurants. Minami is place where you can enjoy a relaxed evening with our extensive sake selection while being captivated by a delicious meal.
Whistler, Canada
“Fantastic, cannot wait to get back to this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend and mother and this place did not disappoint. We were there a couple of days after opening and there was a very excited buzz in the restaurant. I am writing this review quite a time after eating there so unfortunately I cannot remember all the specifics, however I do know the food was excellent. We also had a fantastic bottle of Sake. I do remember have the Aburi Salmon which was out of this world.
The service was also excellent and I would recommend this place to anyone who is partial to Japanese cuisine.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“One of the best Japanese restaurants in Vancouver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have eaten at Minami at least 6 times in the past 6 months. The restaurant has a good atmosphere, great service and really good food. It is currently my favourite restaurant in Canada. Since I love its sister restaurant, Miku, I made sure I ate at Minami during its opening week and the number of staff they had in the kitchen was amazing (I think I counted over 20). I believe some of the sushi chefs also worked at Miku as well as the related restaurant in Japan.

There are options for diners who like sushi and sashimi as well as for those that do not like to eat raw fish. I love sushi and sashimi but have tried many of the items on the menu. The sushi is not traditional but is very good. The service is always good. If you like Sake, there is a Sake 'sommelier' who recommended an amazing bottle of Sake for my husband and me.

My favorite sushi are the Aburi Salmon Oshi and the Aburi Ebi Oshi. Both are seared very quickly with a blowtorch and Japanese Oak (I think) - which gives them a unique flavour. The salmon has a small slice of jalapeno which adds taste but is not overwhelming. The lime zest added to the Ebi is amazing - not something you would think would work well but it does.

I often get the sashimi platter - always very fresh. I have tried many of the rolls, they are not as memorable as the rest of the food, but my safe bets are the red wave roll and the king roll.

In terms of cooked dishes, I tried most of the Gyoza as well as the sobas (my favourite is the beef soba). All were very good and appreciated by my family who do not eat sushi.

I will try to eat at Minami any time I am in Vancouver.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Japanese food at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Dined at Minami on New Year's Eve with my girlfriend. We've been to their sister restaurant Miku multiple times before and it has never disappointed. This was the same case. The Aburi Salmon is a staple for us and is absolutely mouthwatering and delicious! We also tried the Wagyu Beef Soba and Aburi Beef Carpaccio and both were excellent. Atmosphere is modern and refreshing. It is a great place for special occasions or if you're just looking for Japanese food with a bit of flair.

Delta, Canada
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Asked our waiter to bring us whatever he wanted....everything was so delicious, certainly better than any food I ever ate in Japan! Perfect atmosphere, with a fabulous menu. My new favourite restaurant for sure. Cannot tell you how delicious the food was, indescribable luxury!

• Visited December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“I can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I ate here for the first time a few weeks ago. I had a spicy udon noodle dish that was amazing, and the calamari was some of the best I ever had. Very pretty restaurant, very attentive service (not easy to come by in Vancouver). I highly recommend it. It's not a budget restaurant. Bring your wallet, but you get what you pay for.

• Visited November 2012