“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #623 of 2,804 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Ethiopian
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We had heard of this little gem but hadn't stopped in until recently. Wish I had gone way sooner now. It's a small off the beaten path kind of place, but the food is unreal and they even took the time to explain and share some of thier spices with us, a definite recommend.

77% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing !!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I just came back from dinner with my husband and felt compelled to write a fabulous review for this resteraunt immediatley.

The atmosphere is very humble, but the food is a crazy amazing party in your mouth. We ordered the beef stew and vegeterian stew - served traditional style and shared that. It comes beautifully served on a large pan of bread and you sort of scoop up bits and pieces of different elements of the meal with the bread and your fingers..... every bite is different. I'm not a spice lover, and there were a bite or two I had that was spicy, but truly pleasurable as the spices were not overwhleming hot.

What an amazing and truly pleasurable meal..... definitely my new favorite..... Can't wait to go again. Oh, ya, also..... total amazing value..... can't believe how much we ate and drank.... with a take home bag because we couldn't finish...... and the bill is the lowest I've had in Vancouver.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Flavours from Africa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had never been to an African restaurant before, so this was a new experience.
This restaurant was small and very casual with a friendly owner. The price was very reasonable; about $35. CAD for the entree and the dessert was $5.

We ordered a Vegetarian dish.
The 3 of us decided to share a 3 size serving that came on a big tray like a pizza pan.
About 4 different dishes were divided up on a (I think) teff pancake; on the side were sliced of the pancake rolled up so one could use it to scoop up the food.
The platter had about 4 different mixtures of some with red lentils, some yellow split pea and a cabbage, carrots and onion veggie mixture; all with wonderful and different from each other but complementary spices.
The food had some familiar spices and other unfamiliar spices.
It was enjoyable and and we loved the different flavours.

The only thing we didn't like was the Pecan Brandy Tart
Famous South African dessert pecan & dates soaked in brandy. Both my daughter & I who love a good dessert, did not like this one. It was like a pudding overbaked and so much of the flavour was not there.

I would definitely return again and would recommend the vegetarian main dish we had.

• Visited November 2012