“Run like the wind” 2 of 5 stars
Review of C & N Backpackers - Central Station

C & N Backpackers - Central Station
You added C & N Backpackers - Central Station to your Saves list
C & N Backpackers - Central Station
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   1038 Main Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 2W1, Canada   |
Houston
“Run like the wind”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Now, I really hate to write this review as the front desk staff just very helpful but...watch out for those buts...this is not the place for young kids, and anyone concerned about your surroundings. Several times walked past guys near the pub smoking weed.

If you are on a limited budget, can manage with less than ideal situations, give it a try. I would really just recommend for someone on a barebones budget and you can't stay anywhere else or adventurous folks.

Location was ideal- the bus comes right in front of hostel ( line 3, 19, 8) Line 19 takes you right to Stanley Park. Also, if you want to take a rather long ride take bus 250 to Horseshoe Bay- nice venture.
One more tip, if you take the subway from the airport to end of line Waterfront to get to hostel do not take escalator to street level. Go into main station and take the subway ( blue line) and get off at Science museum stop. ( stop past stadium/Chinese).
Good thing- no pesky bugs

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Last minute travel plans led me here..What a mistake.BEDBUGS BEDBUGS AND MORE BEDBUGS.Very uncleen and smelly.Seedy clientele along with drunk and rowdy bar patrons next door.Its like the salvation army and street missions dumped the ones they didnt want here.No ratings.P.S. Still scratching days after leaving that dump.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Private room (i.e. the most expensive version): no cleaning was done; previous person's sweat on the pillow cases; the torn comforter was "fixed" with tape; super-hot room; killed at least 4 or 5 cockroaches; some bugs must have been in the mattress, since I woke up with huge red patches all over my hands and legs - they itched for at least 3 days after. The guy downstairs was completely unprofessional when such issues were brought to his attention - people like this should not be working in the services industry.
If there is someone with the power to do something about all this reading this review right now, please act on it: this place NEEDS to be shut down asap. I chose it because of the convenient location. The location is great and some other nice place can be built on the same spot or even this one could undergo major renovation under different management. Currently, it suffers from severe lack of hygiene and lack of any effort toward remediation of this situation: this should not be legal! Did I mention I preferred to use the toilet across the street at the train station rather than the one on the floor? When I went to the "hotel" washroom there was water overflowing out of a toilet carrying a pile of brown... you can imagine what! Note that this water made it's way to the shower cabin as well!
How did I make it through the night? I removed completely all bedding and threw it in a corner of the room, on a stained chair cushion (huge stain, seemed like a blood stain). I used my own sheets and pillow with case. There wasn't much I could do about the bugs: I haven't thought of bringing insecticide with me! I just killed them with a shoe whenever I could see one. I used a paper clip to extract the pile of hair that was blocking the drain of the sink and this way was able to make use of the room sink. I washed the entire floor with what I had close at hand: shower gel and paper towels. The only reason I managed to get a couple hours of sleep is because I was so exhausted after all these preparations for the night.
Obviously, I left the next day. In retrospect, waiting for the night to pass while sitting on a bench in the train station next to my luggage would have been a better option and would not have cost me 51 bucks.
It is possible that they may clean the room if you book more than a night, which might explain some of the more positive reviews I've seen. Still, extremely unprofessional and should be out of business in my opinion. It was outrageous. I can hardly think of anything worse for the same cost: perhaps rats in the room besides cockroaches would have made it the supreme experience!
I am so sorry I booked this hostel. I wanted to leave once I'd seen the room, but their policy is to charge you anyway for a night if you haven't cancelled your booking at least 24 hours before your arrival. How is one supposed to know 24 hours in advance what lies ahead? Well, now you can: by reading this review! United we stand: please do NOT stay at this miserable place! Help get them out of business!

Room Tip: Tips for best room: look for a different hostel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

1. Place stank like cigarettes were imbedded into the walls.
2. Cigarette burn holes in the bedding.
3. Noisy as hell with street traffic.
4. Prostitutes.
5. Seems like they took all the bums off the streets of Vancouver and threw them in here.
6. BED BUGS... I had bites all over my arms...
7. 1 washroom shared with the whole floor which had about 25 rooms...
8. Blinds didnt even cover the whole window and there were no screens on the windows
9.Old, dirty and gross
10.Hot as hell, no temperature control

Stayed here during the Olympics... and it made me wish i had never gone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Old, dirty, worn down, noisy traffic, and warm as hell. But it's a legendary hotel in Vancouver so now we've tried it...... Ans we won't be coming back!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Me and a friend stayed at the C & N backpackers for 2 nights. It didn't start too well.. After trying to cancel a night the guy on the phone was totally unprofessional. I was very close to canceling both nights but there wasn't any other options available. We were welcomed and told to take our shoes off outside, I understand they want to keep the place clean. The next day I was blamed for footprints within the hostel even though I left my trainers outside around the back where he didn't see them? I was monitored and felt I was treated like a child. He was a little sarcastic and not the most friendliest to me and my friend... I really don't understand how these people get to work in these hostels?

The overall Hostel is nice, the back has a great garden and the overall place has a good vibe. The showers were a little dirty and there was dry floorpaint everywhere. My main criticism has to be the guy working there, I cant remember his name but I'm sure you will know which one I'm talking about if you end up there!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

We arrived and the guy behind the counter seemed seedy as.
The place was FULL of creepy builders and labourers, who i expect were working for the Winter Olympics.
I didnt feel safe at all and the fact that the womens bathroom has a key to lock it was a small comfort.
The bar next door was also creepy and there I could hear a hooker outside yelling suggestive things at people all night.
I moved first thing in the morning to SameSun on Granville St.

• Liked — That the womens bathroom had a key to lock it
  • Disliked — It felt very unsecure and dirty
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)