“Great oyster bar!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chewies Steam and Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #308 of 2,763 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Yew Street
Transit: We are only a short walk from the #2, 4, 7, 22, 44 and 84 bus routes.
Description: Found in the heart of Kitsilano our soul food New Orleans inspired menu and fresh shucked oysters sourced for the east coast to the west coast of North America our sure to tempt your palate. The buzz and energy that fills Chewies on a nightly basis will whisk you away and leave you so relaxed you will never want to leave. In three words your experience will be... Super, Wicked, Awesome. Our menu features fresh local seafood inspired by the mouth watering flavours of New Orleans. Our steam bar is unique to Vancouver giving guests the chance to experience the true art of steam cooking southern classics such as Gumbo, Seafood Pan Roast & Creole Mussels. You will have an experience you will never forget. Guests can enjoy our patio only 2 blocks from Kitsilano Beach. Our bar pours a wide selection of award winning and locally brewed craft beers. The wine list features wines from Naramata, British Columbia to Mendosa, Argentina and all the way to Marlborough, New Zealand.
BC, Canada
“Great oyster bar!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have been here different times and really love it. The raw oyster selection is fantastic and come with freshly grated horseradish and a selection of hot sauces. The menu is a New Orleans type with gumbo, jambalaya, honey fried chicken, and it is all really good. We recommend it!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“Get ready for the frat boys.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The service and atmosphere at this restaurant was awful. Just imagine going to dinner in the middle of a frat-house keg party. After we were seated, my girlfriend and I did not get served for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, a group of servers is just hanging out and yelling and trying to appear cool. Eventually, one of them comes on over and casually says "I guess you guys just arrived?". It was really just pathetic.

We decided to stay and order some food. Fresh oysters and some main dishes. The server says that he will wait before putting in our order for the mains so that we can have the oysters as appetizers. You guessed it, the mains showed up before the oysters. My girlfriend joked that it must be because the oysters require so much cooking. The final kicker was when I went to pay my bill, the credit card reader had been set to offer the options of 18, 20 and 25% for a tip. 25%!! Give me a break.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Great food, fun atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our second visit to Chewies. I had already enjoyed the breakfast with a friend, and then returned to try out the dinner menu - on a different day, of course. The servers seem to be having their own party, smiling, talking to each other, and each trying to outdo the other with great service and smiles. It creates a nice feeling for the casual diner. The food is so fresh and well-prepared, although lots of fried food is obviously required for this genre of dining. We enjoyed the mussels which arrived steaming hot and tasty. The fried chicken was simply yummy, with nicely mashed potatoes, green beans, and a sauce with a hint of sweetness. Take your friends and have fun!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Sit at the bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is hangout for Kits types--busy and likely u will have to wait for a table without reservations--I believe that this restaurant was started by one of the former staff at Rodney's--well it does not live up the expectations that one has of Rodney's --quite different as a matter of fact--but it was interesting sitting at the bar and seeing the preparation of meals--they are very organized and share their duties in getting the meals out. Food quality is so so although they don't skimp--I would say it is for the undecerning!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I went on a Monday (1/2 price bottles of wine!) and had a great experience. We started with Fanny Bay Oysters accompanied with fresh horseradish and a variety of condiments...so good! I will admit that this was my first Oyster experience (having been served Oysters from a jar earlier in life, I was jaded) but have been craving them ever since. I also ordered their bacon-infused vodka caesar drink with a jumbo prawn garnish - oh so good!!

My friends enjoyed the shrimp & grits but I opted for the buttermilk southern fried chicken - which was incredibly juicy and perfectly done. The crunch, paired with a sweet honey drizzle and mashed potatoes made me very happy. Their generous portion of beignets and chicory-coffee dip was the perfect way to end the meal (there was enough that I even shared).

The service was great the atmosphere fun. The location is lovely - a short walk down to kits beach to end the meal (or date, if you are lucky).

Can't wait to go back so I have offered to take a friend out for birthday at Chewies.

• Visited May 2013