“What a great evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours

Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours
Tours meet at Cathedral Sq, Dunsmuir & Richards, accross from the Holy Rosary Cathedral., Vancouver, British Columbia V6B2Z5, Canada
604-839-3126
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Vancouver's dirty history. Now staging acclaimed walking tours Prohibition City, Lost Souls of Gastown and special event Secrets of the Penthouse. Our storytellers lead you on an adventure along cobblestone streets and down moonlit alleys to the little-known locations and hidden secrets of Vancouver's past. You'll relive tales of mobsters and bathtub gin, bejewelled showgirls and unsolved Victorian murders.
Vancouver, Canada
“What a great evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Definitely recommend Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours. I am a born and raised Vancouver-ite and was surprised how much I learned during the walk. Our guide, Rob, was a great storyteller. 90 minutes of countless stories - most done with a great sense of humour.

Visited October 2013

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“A great walk in the Vancouver rain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great tour from a very knowledgable guide. We had lots of questions and the guide was able to break away from the script to give tons of extra information on the history and architecture of the area. A good way to check out the area.

Port Moody, Canada
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My family and I try to get out and try new experiences whenever possible and last weekend we were lucky enough to discover Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours! We went on a Prohibition era storytelling walk and had a fabulous time despite the rain! And our tour guide Will was so wonderful, he even followed up afterwards with information about an old landmark that we had shown interest in! Really a wonderful tour that I will recommend in the future-- I just hope it doesn't rain for you like it did for us! Thanks again!

Visited September 2013
“An excellently told story, what a fun evening.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Fully enjoyable, I would recommend this to anyone young and old. Very engaging with kids and involved everyone in a fun way. Nice to learn some history of my new home :)

Victoria, Canada
“Not your typical walk - not to my liking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I did the gastown tour walk. This tour is a great performance, but if your looking for a ghost tour of little stories of who died where/what/how facts in different parts of the city, this is not for you. The 'format' of this walk is more like a performance of the tour guide with a detailed storyline. I was expecting something else - I personally did not enjoy this walk as I wasnt prepared for a solo storytelling act.

Visited September 2013
Forbidden_Vancouver, Owner at Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
This is Will Woods, founder of Forbidden Vancouver. Sounds like the Lost Souls of Gastown was really not what you expected. You are totally right it is not a conventional walking tour. It is gothic theatre, staged on the actual streets where Vancouver's history took place. Rather than spouting facts about the great fire of 1886, we want our guests to meet a man who had the skin licked off his back by flames as he ran down Water Street. We want to re-create the fear of a smallpox outbreak, the rush of heading to the Klondike, the brutality of a hanging.

The tour was the result of many hundreds of hours of research over a two year period. The narrative is based 100% on documented accounts of Vancouver's past from the archives, public library, old newspapers, archival photographs and interviews with historians. Every date is correct down to the time of day. Every storyteller went through months of training and rehearsal before delivering their first tour. I don't know which storyteller you had, but I do know they would have poured their heart and soul into their performance. I am pleased you thought the performance was 'great', but disappointed it seemingly didn't capture your imagination.

We aim to make it very clear on our website and marketing materials that this is not a conventional walking tour, in fact, that is the very essence of our business. We strive to offer a completely unique experience, combing history, theatre, and iconic locations. Just a final word to say I am sorry you didn't enjoy your tour, but thanks for giving it a try and sharing your thoughts about it. Hopefully your review gives readers some clarity on what to expect on the Lost Souls of Gastown.