“Check the sheets” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ashby House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Ashby House Bed & Breakfast
You added Ashby House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
989 Bute St., Vancouver, British Columbia V6E1Y7, Canada (Downtown)   |
Ranked #19 of 62 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Check the sheets”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at the Ashby B&B. I agree that the location is great. Walking distance to almost everywhere and very close to the bus stop (in case you don't want to walk). The owners were nice but a bit on the strange side. After 4 days in their house, they never actually introduced themselves to us. We became friends with a solo traveler and she had the same experience. Although we asked for suggestions on what locals do in Vancouver, the owners just gave us the usual tourity locations. When I asked to use their computer to check my emails, one of the owners stood over my shoulder the entire time. It was weird to me so I just closed my email and checked them at an internet cafe. I later find out that she has the password to get on to their secured wifi but she never actually offered it to me. Within the 4 days of our stay, nobody ever came into our room to give us clean towels, dump the garbage, etc. The breakfast only consists of cold cereal, some fruit and hot items of eggs, bacon or sausage. Not much of a variety compared to other B&Bs we have stayed in in the past. However, the biggest fault we found was that they didn't change the sheets for the next client! We kept our packed bags in our room on the last day until we were ready to head to the airport, when we went back at the end of the day, we noticed that they had finally cleaned the room but left OUR sheets on the bed. Yikes! We did take a shower before going to bed each night, but that is still disgusting to think the sheets could have been used before us, too! This B&B is worth it for the location, but that's it. We have stayed in many B&Bs around the world and this one did NOT meet our expectations.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not very clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

This is a glorious old house with wonderful plants and flowers in the front yard, ideally located near downtown Vancouver. The hosts were friendly, the breakfasts were good. The problem is the minute you enter this home you smell something "bad." We identified it as "pet accidents smell." There is one cat and one dog, but the smell could have come from many pets over the years in this century-plus old house. Another guest also mentioned the bad smell. She said, "This house just needs a really good cleaning." Too bad, because everything else was great.

• Liked — the location, the hosts, the food, the decor
  • Disliked — there was a bad smell we determined was from "pet accidents."
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

The Ashby B&B is located in a nice central neighbourhood. When you sit on the porch, or at a cafe in one of the streets close to it, you can entertain yourself just at looking around, watching people.
It's an old house, historically decorated. We made a reservation for the Wilde Room, but without any explanation we were situated in the cellar room. That was a bit strange. It was a bit dark down there, but it was really big, with a couch and chairs and a fireplace, and a nice bathroom in the hall, just to be used by us.
Breakfast was great, nice to talk to the owners and other guests. if you wanted suggestions for attractions or walks, or use the computer; just go ahead. Really relaxed!
The small farmers market at saturday a block away is cute, and the chocolats from 'Bad Girl' really are great!

• Liked — central location, breakfast
  • Disliked — the cellar room was a bit dark
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

If you like 19th century houses, this may be the place for you to stay. The house, the room and the bathroom all look like a museum; everything is decorated in the 19th century style. It wasn't really our tast, but everything was clean and the king size bed was comfortable. The room was plain with no extra's (no tv or coffee maker).
The B&B is located just two streets from Downtown, yet it's quite quiet and parking facilities are perfect.
The shower was not that great with very little water.
Breakfast was fine and the hosts were kind.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The decoration of interior; we felt like we were staying in a museum
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bonn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

As most of the previous reviews already stated, the most important quality of Ashby House is that the hosts just make you feel like their own friends. I stayed at Ashby House when I attended a conference in Vancouver. I really appreciated the cozy atmosphere of the b&b when I came back after a long day.
The hosts were wonderful: very helpful, full of good suggestions (I spend the one day I had for sightseeing in probably the best places that Vancouver has to offer thanks to their suggestions), welcoming, and very easy to chat with.
I enjoyed the breakfast very much, the animals definitely add to the atmosphere, and the location is definitely great, not to mention the value for the price.
Overall, I highly recommend Ashby House for a stay in Vancouver, and I will stay there again if I come back to the city.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

Ashyby house is conveniently located in the West End. It also has parking,--absolutely necessary if you're driving. The hosts are charming and knowledgeble and breakfast is delightful. It's a great value for the West End.

• Liked — Friendly hosts and good location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walluf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

I've stayed at Ashby House several times now over the last 5 years and keep coming back. For me, too, this is a home away from home. I can't imagine staying anywhere else, if I have the choice, for a number of reasons:
First of all Mary Anne and Robin are wonderful hosts with lots of stories to share, and who make you feel at home the second you cross the threshold. They always have the best recommendation and know their way around town.
The breakfast, which is always a treat.
The location couldn't be any better. All major attractions are within walking distance.
At Ashby House I always feel at home and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends

Been to Ashby House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!