“Jeffrey really made the dinner special” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Black + Blue

Black + Blue
1032 Alberni Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 1A3, Canada (Downtown)
604.637.0777
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Black + Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 3,035 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burrard
Description: The magic of a classic steakhouse, but with a decidedly contemporary twist. In-house aged rare cuts of beef, tableside Caesar salads, flambes, flaming coffees, and more. While he may find it familiar, it's definitely not your Daddy's steak house!
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Jeffrey really made the dinner special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our fourth experience here. I decided to bring my fiance for his birthday but was weary because we had had a bad experience here before. Jeffrey was our server and what amazing service he had!!! The food and hospitality of the staff speaks for itself of course! The next time we come, we will ask for Jeffrey only!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Happy belated birthday to your fiance! Thank you for celebrating with us!

Vancouver, Canada
“STEAKS SHOULD BE CHARBROILED!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been there before with my family for a birthday a couple of years ago and food was so so. We loved the decor and ambience so much though that we decided to give it another try for our anniversary dinner. My husband was at first reticent as he remembered the first time but I insisted as I liked the downtown vibe of this place. First of, my husband specifically requested a booth for this special night and instead we were given a table for two upstairs in the most high traffic area of the restaurant. I don't know if this restaurant is designed properly for the flow as it just seems congested and intrusive. Hint, try to make a difference to a customer's experience by making an effort to give them what they have requested. Yes, I know the booth is for four but while we were dining we saw a couple sitting in a booth enjoying their meal. I don't know if it was their anniversary. Make an effort! Next up, service is slow getting drinks to the table and food is not good for what you pay for. PLEASE JUST GET RID OF YOUR BLUE CHEESE BREAD that looks like hot cross buns and get some GARLIC TOAST OR CHEESE TOAST as all the great steak houses in town do. Second, if you are going to copy Hy's with preparing the caesar salad table side, do so with the right ingredients. Get them from Gotham or Hy's. Definitely, do not order the Surf and Turf as it is a joke. I think it is a 2 ounce lobster (maybe prawn) piece on top of a steak. A steak that is awful and should be CHARBROILED not from the oven. Teach your chef's how to cook steaks.
CHARBROILED IS KEY!! I have to say the egyptian fellow, I believe his name is Tamer, did his utmost to make sure we were pleased when we complained to him. He was patient and did not want us to leave without doing something for us. He comped the salad, gave us champagne flutes to toast and a dessert with "Happy Anniversary" inscribed on the plate. Thank you for that. We appreciated his efforts in making sure a customer did not leave totally unhappy.
The Glowbal Group I am sure spends millions on the decor of all their restaurants but you need to make sure what you are serving your customers is perfect.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We would like to follow up with you directly regarding your comments. Please email marketing@glowbalgroup.com and we will be in touch right away. Many thanks.
“Excellent food & Service !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I had my wedding rehursal dinner here of May 16. There were 17 of us and we reserved one of the private dinning rooms. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with a very friendly hello and taken up to our table immeadeatly (even though we were 20 mins early!).
The food and service were like no other ! Since we were a larger group we had pre arranged for a sprcial 3 course meal. the server timed our meals prefectly. she was amszing there was mever an pty glass or dirty plate on the table all evening. The food was amazing ! i had the beef carpaccio to start and the beef tenderloin as a main and a trio of desserts. All of us left with verrry full bellies and were very impressed !! Thank you for a memorable night we will for sure be back !!! :)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Congratulations! Thank you very much for celebrating with us and for taking the time to write a review (great pictures!). I have passed on your kind words to the team at Black+Blue. We look forward to welcoming you all in again soon. Cheers!
Phoenix, Arizona
“Could Have Been Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We ate at Black and Blue in mod-may 2013 with a large group of friends. The restaurant was packed and we only had one server for our group who was clearly overextended. Drinks came slow even though we were seated right next to the upstairs bar. Then the meal came slow. Food was good but the below par impersonal service ruined the experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We always strive to have each and every guest leave having had a great meal & excellent service. If you did not have a chance to speak with the manager directly, I would be happy to follow up on your behalf. Please email marketing@glowbalgroup.com and we will be in touch right away. Thank you.
Hamilton
“Black & Blue + Rooftop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great experience. Good quality wine. Excellent service! (Thank you David!)
My wife and I really enjoyed the restaurant. The tartare was too salty. David took care of it and the chef made a fresh new one which was very good.
The chateaubriand was overcooked and again David send it back to the kitchen, apologies for the mistake, gave us some delicious scallops and bacon to wait until they cook the aged piece of meat based on our requirements. The Chef came in the room to apology about the Chateaubriand and he was very professional.
We decided to check the rooftop and had a few drinks there. Great conception and again great service!
Top quality service, top quality product! It was really worth it.
Thanks for doing well your job!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi there. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Black+Blue - I have passed on your kind words to the restaurant team! Thank you for joining us at our sister restaurant, COAST, as well! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.