“Very average sushi, disinterested staff” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,463 of 2,805 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Sushi
North Vancouver, Canada
“Very average sushi, disinterested staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

With an immense amount of Japanese restaurants to choose from on the North Shore, we thought we'd go somewhere different for a change...visit an old favourite that we remembered being vote as a North Vancouver Favourite.
The interior table and seating configuration has been greatly improved with more, smaller tables, rather than the previous few, very large tables.
We ordered a variety of dishes, some favourites such as B.C. Roll, Califorania Roll, Scallop Cone, plus a couple of new ones, such as the North Shore Roll. The sushi is fresh of course, being made to order, in fact the rice was still slightly warm, a good sign of the freshness.
The best one was probably the B.C.Roll; good amount of salmon with crispy skin. The rest were pretty average. We were not dazzled by the food so it is unlkely we'll go back given the great number of other choices in the area.
The biggest disappointment was the service. Other than the girl replenishing our green tea, no one came around to see if everything was okay or if we wanted to order anything else. The experience was worsened by the fact that our table was on the other side of the half wall where their phone and cash register is located, which makes it about 2 feet from our table. Our enjoyment was continually shattered by the employee yelling into the phone with "okay, okay", many times over, then repeating the order back to the caller at an unusually high tone and decibel level. Yelling really. Not pleasant. The other end of the room has the large TV screen with a sports channel on; not my idea of a nice Japanese Restaurant ambiance.
If you really like this place, make sure you sit WELL AWAY from the phone/cash register !!!
Our family of three won't be returning.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“BEST Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

After reviewing a sushi spot that I didn't like, I realized I've never written a review on my favourite sushi restaurant! Everything here is perfect. The tuna is melt-in-your-mouth delicious, they use wild seafood as much as they can, and everything is super fresh. The chefs are adaptable and friendly, and the servers really do remember you! I love their simple rolls, as well as the specialty ones.
The previous poster really is right... you do get addicted! The tuna/mango roll and wild salmon/avocado are my newest addictions. I'm not one for spicy things, but it seems everyone I've been here with other than myself is obsessed with the North Shore Roll. They have an amazing lunch special... 3 items from your choice of I think about a list of 20 plus miso for $6. I expect those prices at not so great places, so the value for the great quality food you're getting is awesome!
We also stumbled upon their website while searching for their number for pick up last week, and you can place your pickup/delivery order online! Very convenient, used that method tonight. I'm so happy this little spot is so close to home!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“BEST SUSHI ON THE NORTH SHORE BY FAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have been here countless times. The sushi is consistently fresh and delicious. They have traditional rolls plus a few of their own - I'm addicted to the North Shore Roll. The lunchtime Bento boxes are unbelievably cheap. The service is excellent, they always remember you and welcome you back. I highly recommend over any of the other sushi places on Lonsdale...and we have tried them all.

• Visited November 2011