“Horribly Overpriced Food and BAD Service!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The French Table

The French Table
3916 Main Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V5V 2P2 , Canada (Downtown)
604.689.3237
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #147 of 2,788 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Welcome to The French TableFormer Master Executive Chef Herve Martin is proud to present his newest eating establishment, The French Table. Nestled cosily in the Riley Park area on Main St & 23rd Ave, it’s a far away from the former Hermitage restaurant, which was a downtown staple on Robson Street for 24 years until last year. After the developer announced new plans, Herve patiently and rightfully re-located to an area that’s ripe for a surburban French cuisine in this up and coming, bustling area. The French Table still carries the tradition of its former self, especially with the outstanding first class servers, whom he successfully carried over but also has a modern flair. Clean lines, open room, first comes into mind when first stepping inside. Unlike the traditional white table cloths, Herve cleverly designed its logo under the glass tables bearing The French table signature, a very nice touch. Tables line the walls for best view of everything. You can select from a menu created by Master Chef Herve Martin and served in the traditional French style. The critically acclaimed wine list boasts one of the best selections of Burgundy wines in Vancouver and is highlighted with exclusive wines from the family winery in Chamilly, France.
Vancouver, Canada
“Horribly Overpriced Food and BAD Service!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Shocked by the terrible service on our anniversary dinner- no water, no bread, hard-superdry-inedible duck and a flavorless cod offering that was also on special that day was also left behind by my fellow diner - and all this was EXPENSIVE because our dinner was over $120 no dessert (we did not want to chance dessert in that place) - the sauce on the Duck a L'orange was much to my liking but wasted since I had no bread and could not eat the duck it was meant to accompany. The sides were excellent though cold.

The waiters looked like they were deliberately trying to avoid serving us and I wanted out as I find nothing more annoying than disheveled lazy waiters with attitude!

We left hurriedly (and still hungry) but not before I visited the washroom which is the most FANTASTIC part of the place it is large and has extra seating and I highly recommend it!

Why do servers who do not understand their job description get tipped less??? Ask those at the French Table they may have some 'tips' for you !

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Vancouver
“A Frite Stuffy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very lovely venue and spectacular Bopla! plates and mugs. Croque Monsier was rich and cheesy, and the French onion soup did not disappoint. My omellete was fresh and yummy, but the side salad was wilted and soggy. Whoever plated the salad should have noticed the mess. The server should have noticed, too. We were not asked how our meals were and had to ask for condiments for our frites. Very odd. My lunch buddy commented that the smile on the server's face did not seem to come from the heart. The demeanor of the restaurant host seemed to say that he was doing us a favor by letting us eat at the restaurant. Oh-oh. Looks like a thumbs down on this one.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Poor service! Mediocre food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I tried this restaurant as it had rave reviews and there was a coupon in the Entertainment Book. Unfortunately, I will not be going back.

I took my girlfriend and my parents to the restaurant early at around 5:30pm as the coupon can only be used before 5:30.

First of all, the service was terrible. There was another couple there, and that was it for patrons. There were two servers, one was nicer than the other, but our server was the had terrible service. He never offered us waters before and after we ordered our food, and just threw our food on the table. No smile, no small talk, no nothing. He didn't check up on us once, even after he brought our food. Everything we asked for (water for the 3 of us, and hot water for my mother) was like pulling teeth.

As for food, it was mediocre at best. 3 of us ordered appetizers and mains, just so that we did not come off as cheap as we were using a coupon. Everybody else's food was prepared properly, except my steak had burnt tasting sauce all over it. The steak was prepared to my liking, but since it was bathed in the burnt tasting sauce, there was no way to get around it.

Needless to say, we won't be returning.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Authentic food - excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We enjoyed a dinner for two on a Friday night in this upscale but unpretentious restaurant on Main St. The service was attentive and informative but not intrusive. The decor is unremarkable.
I had the duck terrine (ok) and the Coq Au Vin which was excellent.
My husband had the French Onion soup (very good) and the Duck confit cassoulet whcih was excellent. We shared the profiteroles and we each had a glass of red wine and a coffee and the bill before tipping was $120.
Only down side is that table are very close to one another and we had noisy neighbours which took away a bit from the "date night" atmosphere we were hoping for.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Wonderful food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Dinner for a party of four, all the dishes were very good from appetizers through the desserts. Service was friendly and attentive. The restaurant is small and has a nice ambiance. We will definitely return. Very nice selection of wines.

• Visited December 2012