“YUM!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bonchaz Bakery Cafe

Bonchaz Bakery Cafe
426 W Hastings Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 1L1, Canada (Downtown)
604-626-7215
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #918 of 2,822 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Bakery, Vegan, Café, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: COFFEE, SANDWICHES AND BAKERYBonchaz Bakery Café owes much of its popularity to its namesake; a deliciously decadent Mexican-French pastry, with flavours including butter sea salt, banana walnut, or chocolate truffle; freshly baked before your eyes to crispy golden perfection. The boutique café also boasts a phenomenal French press coffee, appetizing and homemade affordable eats, including inspired soups, savoury sandwiches, and desserts to die for. Formerly a Farmer’s Market favorite, Bonchaz finally opened its first and only storefront in 2010 just steps from Waterfront station, Gastown, Simon Fraser University, and Vancouver Film School. With fast and friendly service, including catering and free WI-FI, as well as an ambiance that may best be described as laissez-faire, it is no surprise that Bonchaz enjoys a growing loyal fan base. Bon appetite!
North Vancouver, Canada
“YUM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I've been to this place a few times. It feels like a coffee shop, but they bake their buns so everything is always fresh. Among the baked goods, I've tried couple of different brioche buns, they were light and tasty. But my favourite Brie and Avocado sandwich, I'm not a vegetarian, but I like this sandwich so much, I always end up ordering it every time I go there. The creamy fresh Brie cheese and the dark vinaigrette are so delicious. My husband tried their turkey sandwich, which was also very good.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Canada
“Fresh buns, average toppings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

While walking through Vancouver on Easter Monday I soon realized that virtually everything was closed. All I wanted was a sandwich and to be on my way, so when I stumbled upon a Bakery/Cafe I ran right in.
The atmosphere inside is plain and minimal. Also there didn't seem to be a lot of room for large groups to meet, it seemed more for smaller groups/individuals. With the holiday it was very quiet inside.
Their special of the day was the pulled pork so I thought I'd give it a try; afterall the special should be something they are proud of since it's the most advertised item. The selection didn't seem all that great, but that's sometimes a good sign that they keep a smaller menu since it means everything is fresh.
The service was quick and I had my sandwich brought to me within a couple of minutes.
The bun tasted fresh and was delicious. The pulled pork was a little on the bland/chewy side, which was very disappointing.
Overall I'd consider going back if I was in the same situation where others nearby restaurants were closed but I don't think I would go out of my way to go here, it's nothing that special.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Michael L, Owner at Bonchaz Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thanks for your review Trevor!

I'm sorry that our pulled pork sandwich did not meet your expectation. We take every feedback to heart, and will definitely work on the recipe again. Hopefully you'd come back and visit next time you are in town!
Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely little bakery & coffee shop on Hastings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stopped in here for coffee and their famous buns - fabulous! We also tried the lemon tart, which was delicious. A nice change from the coffee chains that are everywhere. Fresh baking and friendly staff.

Visited January 2012
Michael L, Owner at Bonchaz Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thanks for your review!! Hope to see you again soon at our cafe!