“Good location but terrible staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Opus Hotel

You added Opus Hotel to your Saves list
Opus Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   322 Davie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 5Z6, Canada (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Wine!
Ranked #6 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
London
“Good location but terrible staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

We stayed in a courtyard room for 3 nights over New Year and at $319.00 CAB plus tax per night it was very expensive for what you got.

Firstly we had problems with the key card on checking in, after taking all our luggage ourselves up in the lift the key card didn't work and we had to go back to reception and change it, after being stuck on the 5th floor. Then we ordered ice and hot water from room service, as there is no ice making machines and no kettle in the rooms. When after 25 minutes this hadn't turned up I had to call again to see where it was.

Then we booked into the Elixir Restaurant for dinner on New Years Eve. It was a set menu with no price written anywhere on the menu. When the bill came it was $150 CAN each for the food, way more than we expected for what was served.

Then on New Years day the key card did not work again and the woman on reception was so rude and spoke to me like I was one of the homeless people that frequently beg for money outside the hotel. I was so angry.

To make matters worse the second time that afternoon we went back to our room the keycard didn't work again. When I took it down to the same rude woman on reception she asked why I was angry!!!

To top it all off, on the last afternoon we got back to our room to find that they had not replaced any of the toiletries in the bathroom, when you are paying $319 a night you don't have to expect to have to ask for some shampoo and soap!

I would never stay here again.

The only good thing about it is the location which is great, Yaletown is wonderful with heaps of great restuarants and bars, unfortunately there is only the Opus hotel in Yaletown.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to deal with some staff on reception that are unfriendly and rude
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

After reading many of the reviews we were very uneasy about booking at the Opus, however, it seemed to be the only non-traditional hotel in Vancouver. Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are not large but they are comfortable, and best of all it didnt feel like we were visiting Grandma. The staff was pleasant, welcoming, and helpful. The restaurant, though seemed a little out of place, was excellent. And the lounge proved to be a perfect meeting point for friends. Best of all its located right in Yaletown and is walking distance to many venues including the Commodore. I would recommend this hotel to anyone out to experience Vancouver. Its not a luxury hotel, but it's unique and hip.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

For a hotel that was rated to be one of the world's top 100, the bar was set very high. Unfortunately, the Opus did not live up to my expectations.

Though the room was nice, other than the glass wall with a view of the bathroom (you could draw blinds for privacy), there was nothing else that captured the character the Opus is trying to portray. It reminded me of a nice Hyatt room but certainly not that of a boutique hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is great for holiday travelers - its a short walk to the ferry, there are several restaurants within 100 meters of the hotel and there is an outstanding cafe directly across from the hotel (the one attached to the hotel is mediocre). If you want to shop on Robson street, it is walkable but I suspect most will want to hail a taxi.

The Opus is a magnet for the after hours scene. If thats your thing, then you'll certainly enjoy it. Otherwise, its not noticeable once you've passed the lobby.

I would return (it was a very pleasant stay), but I do wish they'd add a bit more character to the rooms to showcase the essence of the hotel.

• Liked — Staff, location, charcter of the lobby & elevator
  • Disliked — Cramped room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2006

Had high expectations of this hotel, however there is a lack of attention to detail that stops it from being a great hotel.

They forgot little details, I am allergic to feathers they were aware of this (having written to them and they acknowledged) however the night duty manager ended up changing over the bedding at 9pm whilst we waited in the bathroom - disappointing! (They forgot in both rooms we stayed in)

On the plus side the location was good, it was decorated to a high standard and they did provide nibbles and wine as a honeymoon present.

The standard rooms are not large, but on the second night we moved to a courtyard suite which was really nice it had a fire you could relax next to.

Overall it is a good hotel that has the potential to be great.

• Liked — The courtyard suite
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2006

A vastly overrated hotel. The room was barely large enough for the bed, and there was no bath tub. There was an adjoining room, and we could hear every word our neighbors spoke, and every cry and babble of their baby. I am sure they heard everything we said as well. It was like staying in a youth hostel. There was no maid service either, until we requested it, and then we had to go sit in the lobby for an hour while the room was serviced. The staff were neither friendly nor helpful. For $200 a night, one deserves a little more.

Stayed November 2006
Reno, Nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

I've stayed there twice and it's as good as it gets. The rooms aren't huge but they're well-appointed and very comfortable. Great location, within walking distance of more restaurants than you could eat at in a month. It's the service though, that really makes The Opus world-class. I could mention a dozen employees who routinely exceeded my expectations like it was "all in a day's work".
(Cassidy, Costa, Michele, Lisa, Christine, Patrick, Katrina, and Daniel, among others.) I've stayed at a great number of first-class hotels, but I can tell you that on any of my following trips to Vancouver I won't stay anywhere but The Opus. Whatever the rating system is, I put this hotel in the top ten I've ever stayed at, and as a loyal consumer I can assure you I'll be back there again!

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Tip well, be nice, it'll come back to you in spades
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

I loved this great hotel in a fantastic area. The hotel has a very visual appeal and loves a bit of a 'hip bar' feel to the hotel. It is clean, tidy, great service, great food. Beds are great, rooms are good. Loved everything in it and about it. You will need to enjoy the slight 'night club' feel to the lobby, but the rooms are very modern and comfortable. A fantastic hotel. Loved it.

• Liked — Hotel Image and service.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Opus Hotel? Share your experiences!