“Amazing Italian food in cozy atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Portobello Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #521 of 2,847 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Granville
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing Italian food in cozy atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I grew up eating Italian food and never enjoyed Italian food when dining out. Portobellos has amazing and unique Italian food, not just pasta.
My husband had the homemade gnocchi and meat sauce. He enjoyed the gnocchi and raved about the flavorful meat sauce. I had the veal Marsala and it was prepared to perfection.
We shared a pine nut cake and it was simply a perfect ending to an outstanding meal.
I highly recommend this Italian gem. It is a small restaurant with no outdoor seating. The wait staff were very helpful and friendly.
The prices are reasonable and the wine list was appropriate
We will eat here again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Owner's the chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

And a darn good one. Reasonable prices & good food cooked by the owner himself. Amazing to watch as the place is full & he never gets flustered.
Always great service & his wife hand makes some delicious desserts.
Well worth it!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
oxford
“Excellent freshly prepared food with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This cosy family-run restaurant offers excellent Italian meals at reasonable prices with friendly service. I mentioned on the online booking form that it was my birthday and we were given a great spacious table and greeted with a 'happy birthday'. Strips of garlic focaccia bread and water were served immediately while we choose from the quite extensive menu. As starter we shared the Portobello mushrooms which were freshly prepared and exquisitely cooked. For mins I had the COTOLETTA DI VITELLO PARMIGIANA - Veal Cutlet, topped with mozzarella tomato sauce and Parmesan, served with perfectly cooked fresh vegetables ($24). My wife had OSSOBUCO CLASSICO - Veal shank, braised with red wine rosemary, carrots, celery, served with risotto ($26) - the veal was beautifully tender. I finished off with one of the nicest crime brûlées I've ever had, while my wife had peppermint tea. My dessert was served with a candle and a rendition of 'Happy Birthday to you' - a nice little touch.
The service was knowledgeable and friendly, without being over-fussy, and wines were very reasonably priced for Vancouver.
Excellent ambiance in a cosy setting with pleasant background music.
It was a genuine delight to eat here.

Canada
“Good solid food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had a good meal here cooked to perfection by the very capable chef. Although tasty, nothing was too over the top or had a significant 'wow' factor. Service was friendly and efficient.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Langley City, Canada
“Hard to Beat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We continue to go back to this restaurant because everything fits. The minute you step through the door you are made to feel comfortable. The restaurant is small and nicely laid out. The music and lighting add to the atmosphere. The couple that own this restaurant have been doing it a long time and have learned their trade well. The servers are always very competent and attentive and provide the same personal/friendly attention as the owners. The chef/owner has a lifetime of preparing Italian food the way it should be prepared. His saltimboca is by far the best we have had anywhere. The soup of the day on our last visit was reportedly(by my stepdaughter) amazing and I could not get enough of the made-in-house foccacia. My wife's veal dish was done to perfection as always. The open kitchen adds to the ambiance and being a cook myself I enjoy watching the professionals at work. We have been patrons of this restaurant for many years, back to their previous location and know that we will never be disappointed when we go there.

• Visited September 2012