“I wanted to love it” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 3,035 Restaurants in Vancouver
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
vancouver
“I wanted to love it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

i was very excited to try this restaurant and hoped that it would live up to my high expectations but sadly it did not.
After having to take a long detour to the restaurant (thank you very much google map) I ordered the tuna eggs benedict and it was ok but does not live up to the hype. Perhaps it's due to my personal taste preference, I'm not as fond of tuna as I am of let's say, salmon but the fried potato side was definitely way over seasoned. if possible, i would highly suggest to ask to have it unseasoned but to have the seasoning on the side intstead. My favourite part of the dish was the fennel side salad that came along. Despite my disappointment, I am definitely considering coming back for dinner and giving that a try as well

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Canada
“Consistently delicious food, great atmosphere & staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I tried the Oakwood for the first time during my trip to Vancouver and enjoyed it so much that I ended up going back twice! The dishes are great for sharing so I luckily got to try a variety...my favorites were the duck cannelloni, the warm kale salad, cornish game hen, and the beef tartar. I can't wait to go back for brunch because there were so many tasty looking options on the menu, and the asparagus omelet and side of pork belly that I chose was amazing. Service was very friendly and helpful, and the food was a great price. It's a must!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant food , average service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked this place for my farewell dinner after reading about it. The food was definitely excellent, the atmosphere warm, the wine list extensive. We were disappointed with the " attitude" of one of the servers- and hope others don't experience the same. It appeared that the size of group was not something they could cope with. Overall the experience was good and the menu definitely worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Frankfurt, Germany
“Nice but not exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Like many, I went there due to the very good rating at Tripadvisor.

The food was good and innovative; it was not the standard menu you find at every other restaurant. Also, our server was nice and attentive. However, given the very high price (in relation to the tiny portions), the food was not exceptional.

We went there with three small children. Unfortunately the restaurant was not very child-friendly either. No dishes for children, no child seats or booster seats etc.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Foody Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro, as its name suggests, serves locally grown foods as much as possible. It's one of the top-five restaurants as rated by customers in Vancouver. The food, service, and ambiance are all outstanding--a casual minimalism with a sensuous side. I deducted a point for a few reasons. First, the food comes as it's ready. As in, dishes arrive one at a time or in clumps. This is great if you plan to share, not so much if you are territorial about your order or not into sharing saliva with your table-mates. (I ate with my husband.) The main dishes look minimalist on the plate but prove to be larger than they seem, and quite rich. Divine mix of flavors, textures, and colors. The desserts were uneven. Still hungry, we ordered the sampler of three desserts to share: a maple lemon meringue pie, a Nanaimo bar-inspired custard, and a rhubarb crumble, all served in squat jars. The latter was fabulous, with a nice tart edge and crumble topping that was neither too austere or too rich, though the tablet of homemade ice cream on top proved too hard, airless, and rich for my taste. The Nanaimo bar-ish custard featured a much too rich chocolate/coconut/graham cracker topping, though the custard itself was good. The lemon meringue pie was too sweet, with a too-dense, underbaked crust and a thick gloppy meringue that looked briefly touched by a mini-blowtorch. A meringue is supposed to be light and melt-in-the mouth. If I went back, I'd order more mains and pass on dessert, or perhaps just share the rhubarb crumble.

• 4 of 5 stars Food