“Great food and ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 2,789 restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Orlando, Florida
“Great food and ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro fits the definition of a neighborhood gastro pub. The restaurant is decorated industrial style and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Tables are on top of each other so not the best place for intimate conversation.
The food is meant to be shared and it's brought to the table as the dishes are ready, rather than in unison.
Menu is modern Canadian and the food is craftfuly made.
I started with the pepper brioche and maple butter... Simply delicious. The brioche was freshly made and cooked to perfection. The maple butter was heavenly!! Mix of sweet and savory with hints of bacon.
The beet salad with vanilla goat cheese and pistachios was very nice too. Colorful dish with a nice assortment of contrasting flavors.
The poutine with beef brisket was nice. Not the best I've had but nicely executed.
The chimichurri steak and bone marrow was the one dish that, in my opinion, needs to be better balanced. The plate consists of sliced steak (wich in my case was slightly over cooked), a serving on bone marrow and chips. All over a thin layer of chimichurri. The bone marrow was nice but needed something to balance its richness.

Visited June 2013

90% Recommend
Vancouver
“Delish Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had the Dungeness crab benny and my husband had the maple confit pork belly...both were absolutely delish! We would go back again for brunch! I saw the dinner menu, but the brunch menu looked more appealing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“OMG! Amazing Canadian Comfort Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Ate here while in town for 2 days prior to a cruise. Great good & the waiter was awesome. Recommended a great beer to my husband, talked about the area (his mom lives on Granville island), made food recommendations. Very good service!

Food was AMAZING! All dishes are to share and come at different times. Started with pork rinds, followed by poutine (unusual with brisket on top) which was so awesome we ordered seconds. Followed by a great burger. We were so full we didn't get to try the duck dish or dessert. Looking for something local? This is it! Long, healthy walk from Canada place. Took a cab back as we had played tourist all day. Ride back was under 15 CAD. They will call for you. Highly recommend!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Excellent Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Everything on the brunch menu looks good, but I most of my brunch orders are for French Toast. Oakwood Canadian Bistro serves up their variant of French toast with a later of mascarpone between two layers of thick bread dipped in egg batter spiked with lemon zest and topped with an ample serving of blueberry confit. The maple confit pork belly and scrambled eggs looked good enough to sample; so did the dungeness crab benedict. More reason to return. We arrived just before the Saturday brunch crowd, were not rushed as the booths and tables filled up, enjoyed endless coffee refills with friendly attention.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Almeria, Spain
“Long awaited visit here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My son & his wife often go for brunch but had not been for dinner until my visit so we didn´t know what to expect. Well it has a very different menu, and not a lot to my taste, I am a picky eater, but I had a burger, my first in like forever, and it was perfectly cooked, succulent and I enjoyed it. Salads were lovely.
There were 8 of us dining so a varied selection of food came to the table, and I did try the chips with cheese on and meat slices, which was very good.
The owner Mike came over to the table to see if we were satisfied with the selection, empty plates spoke volumes. He went to all tables, a nice personal touch, makes people feel important and valued, a nice gesture.
We had a server named Laurel who took our large order without writing it down, amazed us all at her memory and she got it all correct. Chef is busy in the background you can see the kitchen, very contemporary feel which works with the trendy clientele this place attracts. The place really has a buzz about it.
Desserts were fantastic we shared 3 desserts between 4 of us and were still raring to try more.
Great experience, and I will be back on my next visit to Vancouver.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere